motability advice needed, which car??

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by dyspraxicowl, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dyspraxicowl

dyspraxicowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    hi
    im not trying to annoy anyone, im just asking for some advice from a forum,

i have over the years, had problems with myself, and after a long time of problems, i have finally been granted PIP, as i struggle to walk (i have had a blue badge for some time, but finally been told i can claim for a motability car....

I dont need a wheelchair etc, so im looking for something, nice and...........well just nice.
    im 34, so not really looking for a grandad car, so to speak - but because of my health issues, i had to give up work last year, and im more or less out of savings etc....

i havent drove for a long time, and my last car was a mk1 punto GT!, never really been a boy racer - but dont see the point in a 1.0 pootle about,

i have been looking at various cars, and i have got to the end of my patience with it so i thought i would ask for some advice
    Search Cars and Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles | Cars and WAVs | Motability
    ideally im looking for something with no advance payment (financial issues from not working)

my original choice was the 2.0 scirocco, automatic - however i would need a deposit, so i have decided against it.

i am very tempted by the 1.4 scirocco- and the 1.6 civic tourer.

there are quite a lot of options out there, like the mini coopers, which would be fun but not practical, same as the 500 arbath!

any ideas, on which offer the most bang for buck so to speak

thanks

2. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,597
    Are there any health conditions (not trying to be nosy) that would affect your choice of car?

Such as a low sports type car and awkward getting in and out due to joint pain or bad back etc.

Also other considerations such as vehicle suitability for 6 kids, towing a caravan, 3 door/4door/5door etc, etc.

A bit more info might help get you a better answer.

3. dyspraxicowl

dyspraxicowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    It's mainly just me, or the missus driving it.

My left foot is a bit rogue, and gives me a lot of pain, however if it hurts, she will drive it.

Manual isn't a problem for me (auto could be nice) no other restrictions with size or doors etc.

4. dmpzsn

dmpzsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The only thing I would suggest is to go around the dealers and try the cars, when you find one you like then give it a road test. Or go to a motability roadshow if you can, they have lots of different models and generally a test track to try them on.
    Dave

5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,315
    Not sure where you are based, but the Motability One Big Day events start again soon - One Big Day | What's On and Get Involved | Motability

These allow you to view hundreds of models, talk to manufacturers and also take test drives on the road during the day.

6. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    The Scirocco is quite a low car and can be difficult to get in and out of, I speak from ownership experience and someone who has osteoarthritis of the spine. Once you get in the car is suprisingly comfortable. Then you have to get out of it again. I must admit that when I was reasonably well I enjoyed every mile in it. Best models are the 184 Tdi or 2 litre petrol.

If you have problems getting in and out of cars you would be better off looking for an SUV type, Renault Capture or Nissan Qashqai. Nothing more embarrasing than being stuck in a sporty car unable to get out and having to ask for assistance, again I speak from Scirocco ownership.

7. dyspraxicowl

dyspraxicowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I would struggle to get the 2k... however I might look at the petrol
    Is the 1,4 that bad

8. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    The 184 diesel is quicker and has far more torque than the 1.4 petrol. However that particular engine was not available when I got mine. It was then a toss up between the 210 bhp petrol or the 170 diesel. I took out a 140 diesel as well as the more powerful cars and thought the 140 to be a tad sluggish. The 1.4, 160 bhp has had good reviews, do not go for the 122 bhp petrol, VW should be shot for putting such a poor engine in a sporty car.

9. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,918
    You don't say why the Mini is impractical so "nice" really isn't much to go on.

10. dyspraxicowl

dyspraxicowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I'm 6 foot 3

Having had a good look around, I really really like the seat leon 2.0 fr 183... has good reviews too

11. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    I'm 6'2" and have no problems with getting in and out of a Mini Cooper S. It's lots of fun to drive too and ours is the 1st version which is smaller by a margin. Not the biggest boot or back seat though.
    But then the Golf is more "practical" than the Scirocco ...

12. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,341
    The BMW Minis are pretty big cars, the 3dr Hatch is the size of a fiesta or corsa, or the current Punto, with the bigger ones like the Clubman being Focus/Golf sized.

Motability is a private company/charity so don't feel bound to use them. It can even work out cheaper to go for a standard hire purchase if you don't need particularly expensive adaptations and plan to keep the car for a while.

Or potentially even a lease, there are sometimes exceptional offers on. I think PIP is something like £200 a month isn't it? Last year they were offering the 300bhp Golf R for £212 a month (admittedly with a £2k deposit).

I wouldn't discount 1.0 engines either. I don't know what the most powerful one in production is, but a year or two ago ford offered a Fiesta Red/Black edition with a 140 horsepower 1.0 engine, and the Ford 1.0 can output 125bhp even in the normal range.

As for suggestions on Motability:

Suzuki Swift Sport: £200 3dr, £500 5dr.
    DS3 THP 163bhp £400 (or the 130bhp canvas roof version for £500)
    Mazda 6 SE-L Nav £200
    Vauxhall Adam S £250

13. dyspraxicowl

dyspraxicowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for the write up
    Very close to ordering the Leon fr 2.0 183
    No advance payment, nice car too

14. dmpzsn

dmpzsn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Don't forget, that with a motability car you get fully comp insurance for 2 people to drive the car, full RAC cover inc home start, tyres as required, all servicing and parts not covered by warranty replaced (brakes, bulbs and oil topups) and if your car breaks down and is recovered by the RAC they must provide you with a replacement if your garage can't after 2 days, which isn't bad for the lease fee.
    Dave