MOT history online checks - a thank you to Mylo

Lee

Reaction score
I've spent the last few weeks hunting for a car. Not being a car person it has been a nightmare. Reading through this motoring section I came across the following post by Mylo:

Mylo said:
It's worth noting that you can check MOT history online now. Dealers often keep the advisory notice so you don't know about any potential problems, the database however reveals everything

I didn't know about the above. In fact my mechanic mate and people I've spoken to about it didn't know either.

Well, it saved me from making a big mistake in the purchase of a car. I did an MOT check and there was an advisory notice that listed quite a few things. Buying the car would have been costly.

A BIG thankyou to Mylo for bringing it to my attention. :) :smashin: :thumbsup:

Others who don't know about it might see this and it help them too.

Where do we go to check this then chap ?

Don't forget that the MOT certificate highlights whether an advisory was issued and it should be together with certificate....Don't need the online system for that, even though it is handy to have...

Don't forget that the MOT certificate highlights whether an advisory was issued and it should be together with certificate....Don't need the online system for that, even though it is handy to have...

Had my car MOT'd yesterday which passed but came with an advisory about rear seat belt not being checked due to the child seat

Talk about bordering on the ridiculous. Tore it up

Just ran through mine on a car I just bought last week. It said on the MOT certificate (only carried out on Friday) that there was a notice issued, but realised I never received one. Looking on there it is for 'defective spare tyre'. Does this mean I need to buy a new one? What is the cost of something like that?

It also failed a test on the same day, for 'excessively pitted' brake discs, although it passed second time, so it appears that they have fixed them, as well as a split rear wiper...

Had my car MOT'd yesterday which passed but came with an advisory about rear seat belt not being checked due to the child seat

Talk about bordering on the ridiculous. Tore it up
I can beat that. On the missus' Jazz first test it failed due to a loose rear number plate screw.

I can beat that. On the missus' Jazz first test it failed due to a loose rear number plate screw.

I'll see your plate and raise you one furry dice :eek:

My Cupra's previous owner failed two mot's for this :suicide:

Off topic but I've just realised by looking at this that her MOT expires the day we get back from holiday, which is also a Sunday. Anyone know how early you can take a test & carry forward the renewal date from the current cert?

I seem to recall that we have a resident tester or two on board. ;)

I can beat that.

20 years ago I took my beloved Alfa Spyder out of winter hibernation for it's MOT at Kwik Fit and they failed it due to the exhaust blowing. When I protested that it wasn't blowing when I took it in they showed me the hole - which co-incidentally was about the size of a finger

I think the power the mot testers have is abused alot especially when they have there own garages to do repairs. They can easily rip people off and theres no1 to check up on them.

I had one try it on with me, little did he know i know my way around my car. Tried to tell me that my shock was knackered and the top mount was also worn out causing to much up/down movement. This was on my old nova TDi which was lowered 60mm.

Took it to my garage and 3 mechanics checked it and said it was fine so took it back and they still failed it and said a retest would cost me, all the time he kept asking me if i wanted them to fix it but he wouldnt tell me what he was going to fix. I returned with a receipt for my 6 month old shocks and the 3 year warrenty on them. Should of seen his face as i told him where to go.

Next day passed with without any problems at a different mot station.

What I have found out about mot test stations are the quicker you can get in the harder they are on the car.Tried to get my truck mot'd with a place thats recomended for being fair 10 day wait,my mate who has a real bad name for failing cars same day in fact 2hrs later,and there moaning that there getting not much work yet most local places are chocker.

20 years ago I ran a company making breakdown vehicles. Any newly converted breakdown vehicle has to pass a series of stringent tests but unlike an MOT the testing stations are few and far between and booked up weeks in advance.

We had two of these sliding body vehicles converted and booked for testing on consecutive days. The first one passed straight away but unfortunately the second wasn't quite finished so in a rare moment of naughtiness I swapped all of the plates over and sent the first one back in again - whereupon they failed it on quite a number of items :rotfl:

I think the power the mot testers have is abused alot especially when they have there own garages to do repairs. They can easily rip people off and theres no1 to check up on them.

I had one try it on with me, little did he know i know my way around my car. Tried to tell me that my shock was knackered and the top mount was also worn out causing to much up/down movement. This was on my old nova TDi which was lowered 60mm.

Took it to my garage and 3 mechanics checked it and said it was fine so took it back and they still failed it and said a retest would cost me, all the time he kept asking me if i wanted them to fix it but he wouldnt tell me what he was going to fix. I returned with a receipt for my 6 month old shocks and the 3 year warrenty on them. Should of seen his face as i told him where to go.

Next day passed with without any problems at a different mot station.

Frankly, I'm baffled that under cover articles on AutoExpress, where they take 2 written off vehicles and make it into 1, comes to life again and passes MOT with flying colours exists, hundreds of thousands of forum threads about rip off/dishonest MOTs, garages, second hand purchases etc

That is why MOT's should be a government department, like Germany's "TUV" or Swedish "Svensk Bilprovning", where their only goal is to make sure all cars roadworthy and safe. As they are not profit driven, that means they can spend more time on each car and checks very thoroughly. Nothing can be hidden from their eyes.

This also means that the car park in those countries are on average older, because owners has to ensure that their cars are properly serviced, and that usually means they spend a lot of money on service and/or time to diy, hence keeping it. Well in Sweden anyway. Germany still sell more cars than UK with less population, but that is partly because they have 6 major brands and massive number of employees, who has the benefit off buying a new car with 20-30% discount each year.

This also have a positive effect on the 2nd hand market, where you are less likely to be ripped off in terms of hidden mechanical problems.

wasabi :)

Where can I get it done for northern ireland registered cars. Even if I have to pay.

On a side note for UK MOT testers ( well, English at least...) if you want an honest MOT, then find your local council testing centre... Google should do it, most authorities have one, it's where they take their own vehicles. They don't do repais, ONLY MOT's and therefore have no interest in dodgy failures, only proper testing.
In the Manchester/Salford area? here's one :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom