Most unobtrusive speakers

rossmck

Novice Member
Not sure as to whether this belongs in here or soundbars as both are a possibility at this stage.

Firstly, this is for a small room, it’s not a “home cinema” but we do want better sound than the TV speakers can offer and are looking for some advice.

We used to have a Wharfdale Diamond 5.1 surround setup but don’t have the space for it here (and the TV is in the corner of a room which is less than ideal) however that was more than adequate for us.

The main requirement is nothing’s on the floor (the TV is wall mounted and there’s easy access to the ceiling void (indeed that’s where the sky box is !) - I’m torn between a sound bar or ceiling speakers (already have an appropriate amp)

Best reason to avoid ceiling speakers would seem to be the sound comes from “above” but tweeters are directional in most and it’s a very low ceiling (about 7’) so I think this is perhaps less of an issue than it otherwise would be?

I was looking at something like the Polk C80 or Monitor Audio C165 and perhaps smaller speakers like the KEF CI50R to provide something as rear surround.

If I was to go down the sound bar route the Sonos Beam looks a likely option, but I worry it won’t be as immersive as the ceiling setup (even if it is also less than ideal)

Wall speakers aren’t an option (although I can access the ceiling easily the same is not true of the walls!)

If anyone has any thoughts (or, better, is using ceiling speakers as the sole speakers for their TV!) I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions you have :)

password1

Distinguished Member
A sound bar with built in subs sounds the only way to get full range sound witthout having a sub on the floor or cieling.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Not sure as to whether this belongs in here or soundbars as both are a possibility at this stage.

Firstly, this is for a small room, it’s not a “home cinema” but we do want better sound than the TV speakers can offer and are looking for some advice.

We used to have a Wharfdale Diamond 5.1 surround setup but don’t have the space for it here (and the TV is in the corner of a room which is less than ideal) however that was more than adequate for us.

The main requirement is nothing’s on the floor (the TV is wall mounted and there’s easy access to the ceiling void (indeed that’s where the sky box is !) - I’m torn between a sound bar or ceiling speakers (already have an appropriate amp)

Best reason to avoid ceiling speakers would seem to be the sound comes from “above” but tweeters are directional in most and it’s a very low ceiling (about 7’) so I think this is perhaps less of an issue than it otherwise would be?

I was looking at something like the Polk C80 or Monitor Audio C165 and perhaps smaller speakers like the KEF CI50R to provide something as rear surround.

If I was to go down the sound bar route the Sonos Beam looks a likely option, but I worry it won’t be as immersive as the ceiling setup (even if it is also less than ideal)

Wall speakers aren’t an option (although I can access the ceiling easily the same is not true of the walls!)

If anyone has any thoughts (or, better, is using ceiling speakers as the sole speakers for their TV!) I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions you have :)

Tv is in corner and wall mounted. 🤔 Lot of folks have corner tv`s and they "hide" subwoofer behind the av-cabinet in the corner. Soundbar without subwoofer to support would sound very anemic, same as ceiling speakers. However i would hate all the sound coming from ceiling. So what ever you decide even some small sub would be beneficial to give little extra weight and depth.

Look how small the subwoofer can be without visible driver (Down firing), gloss black/white.

REL T-Zero 216 x 241 x 260mm WxHxD , these might pop up used for 200£. Wife can´t complain of the size.

copy_of_tzero_black_back3q__large_full.jpg

REL T5i 267 x 317 x 322 mm WxHxD

Passive soundbar that sounds and looks good:

Then hopefully you have some old av-receiver to power the speakers.

ThierryB

Standard Member
Cambridge Audio Minx Min22 & Min12 ?
I am running a 5.1.2 setup with SVS SB-1000 Pro and they sound very good for the size, and it remains very discrete for a living room.

password1

Distinguished Member
Cambridge Audio Minx Min22 & Min12 ?
I am running a 5.1.2 setup with SVS SB-1000 Pro and they sound very good for the size, and it remains very discrete for a living room.
You can do better for less money.

They are good for their size but not the best and certainly not the cheapest.

password1

Distinguished Member
The satellite based systems from Elac and canton.

I have heard the original Minx 20 (Richer sounds told me the 21 and 2 are not major upgrades) and used to own Canton cd series. Im currently using elac cinema, same thing as cantons but plastic instead of brushed aluminium cabinet.

I've also owned Q Acoustics QAV which are BMR technology. it's night and day difference in terms of clarity. The elac and canton satellites have a separate tweeter which may help.

ThierryB

Standard Member
The satellite based systems from Elac and canton.

I have heard the original Minx 20 (Richer sounds told me the 21 and 2 are not major upgrades) and used to own Canton cd series. Im currently using elac cinema, same thing as cantons but plastic instead of brushed aluminium cabinet.

I've also owned Q Acoustics QAV which are BMR technology. it's night and day difference in terms of clarity. The elac and canton satellites have a separate tweeter which may help.
All these seem bigger / more expensive and not available anyway here in Australia.
So that wouldn't have worked for me I guess. For you guys in the USA/UK you might have more alternatives. The Min12 cost really nothing here, and are tiny (I couldn't have put anything bigger with the space constraints I had).
I think they are still a brillant option for the size when coupled with a good subwoofer to fill the low frequencies. In all honesty I am not sure there is a big difference between the 12 and the 22, and the frequency response after calibration in my room is about the same for both.

password1

Distinguished Member
All these seem bigger / more expensive and not available anyway here in Australia.
So that wouldn't have worked for me I guess. For you guys in the USA/UK you might have more alternatives. The Min12 cost really nothing here, and are tiny (I couldn't have put anything bigger with the space constraints I had).
I think they are still a brillant option for the size when coupled with a good subwoofer to fill the low frequencies. In all honesty I am not sure there is a big difference between the 12 and the 22, and the frequency response after calibration in my room is about the same for both.
I didn't know you're in Australia, in the UK the Minx cost more. The 22 5.1 system costs twice as much as a canton 5.1 system.

Another alternative are the Mission cubes although I've not heard them.. Im guessing they're a sideways move to the minx.

ThierryB

Standard Member
I didn't know you're in Australia, in the UK the Minx cost more. The 22 5.1 system costs twice as much as a canton 5.1 system.

Another alternative are the Mission cubes although I've not heard them.. Im guessing they're a sideways move to the minx.

Yep I suppose the mission would be similar. Also there is a big difference between listening in the shop with the wrong cross-over/no eq and at home setup properly.

The results for me at home sounds about a 100x better than what I heard in the shop where it was on demo.
It's so hard to make a judgement in a store...

Not sure if Richer has a good setup for this, but even the room itself would matter a lot.

Dobbyisfree

If you are going for the Minx little speakers, bear in mind that if you buy them with the CA subwoofer, that subwoofer can reach up to ~200Hz so it covers the high crossovers required for the little speakers.

So, if you are looking for a different subwoofer, you'll need to make sure it can cover up to suitable frequencies too. A lot of subwoofers, for example, will roll off around 120Hz - and they would leave you with a big gap in the sound output.

REL, for example, have confirmed in an email to me that the T-zero is by design not capable over ~120Hz.

ThierryB

Standard Member
If you are going for the Minx little speakers, bear in mind that if you buy them with the CA subwoofer, that subwoofer can reach up to ~200Hz so it covers the high crossovers required for the little speakers.

So, if you are looking for a different subwoofer, you'll need to make sure it can cover up to suitable frequencies too. A lot of subwoofers, for example, will roll off around 120Hz - and they would leave you with a big gap in the sound output.

REL, for example, have confirmed in an email to me that the T-zero is by design not capable over ~120Hz.
Yes that's a very good point. The subwoofer does everything with these little satelittes so it's important to match the subwoofer correctly.

I paired mine with a SVS SB-1000 Pro and it works very well (my AVR sets the crossover to 250Hz, so even higher). The SVS is probably a better value for money than the CA subwoofer, and the round shape and black glossy finish look of the SVS matches nicely the CA Minx Min.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom