Most suited centre speaker

scottyule

I need to replace my centre speaker but I'm limited on size due to my TV shelves.
Current set up is:
Denon AVX2500
Monitor Audio RS8 front
Monitor Audio Bronze 1 rear
Monitor Audio RS LCR centre
BK XLS200 sub.

I need to change the centre speaker and based on size and budget I've narrowed it down to Q Acoustics Q3090Ci (now reduced on Richer Sounds to £149) or the Dali Spektor Vokal. Or do I really push the boat out and opt for the Monitor Audio Radius 200..?
I'm leaning towards the Q Acoustics now certainly on the price, and there were one or two negative reviews of the Dali but I'm open to discussions. We usually watch the occasional film and plenty of live sport.
Many thanks

gibbsy

Ideally you want to keep the front three from the same manufacturer and model as this helps preserve the timbre across that all important front sound stage. How far apart are your left and right? Under 2 metres you could try just the stereo pair for a pseudo centre effect. All you'd have to do is go back to Audyssey and uncheck the centre speaker and re-run.

scottyule

Ideally you want to keep the front three from the same manufacturer and model as this helps preserve the timbre across that all important front sound stage. How far apart are your left and right? Under 2 metres you could try just the stereo pair for a pseudo centre effect. All you'd have to do is go back to Audyssey and uncheck the centre speaker and re-run.
Thanks for your reply.
In that case I think it's going to have to be bite the bullet and get the Radius. I wasn't sure if the Radius centre due to its smaller size, was more suited to the rest of the Radius range. I've seen the Radius 225 on offer but it's really thin and I'm worried I might be disappointed with the performance compared to my current one.

gibbsy

I would be more open to a replacement centre from the same manufacturer as they is some preservation of the 'house signature'. Certainly true of KE'sF various models over the years.

DavidT

I need to replace my centre speaker but I'm limited on size due to my TV shelves.
Current set up is:
Denon AVX2500
Monitor Audio RS8 front
BK XLS200 sub.

I need to change the centre speaker and based on size and budget I've narrowed it down to Q Acoustics Q3090Ci (now reduced on Richer Sounds to £149) or the Dali Spektor Vokal. Or do I really push the boat out and opt for the Monitor Audio Radius 200..?
I'm leaning towards the Q Acoustics now certainly on the price, and there were one or two negative reviews of the Dali but I'm open to discussions. We usually watch the occasional film and plenty of live sport.
Many thanks
Why do you need to replace your centre speaker? Is your existing one faulty, to big for space, not performing as you would like? The answers might give you more suggestions relevant to your scenario.

rccarguy2

Don't get a tiny little center it's one of the most important speakers.

or your reply.
In that case I think it's going to have to be bite the bullet and get the Radius. I wasn't sure if the Radius centre due to its smaller size, was more suited to the rest of the Radius range. I've seen the Radius 225 on offer but it's really thin and I'm worried I might be disappointed with the performance compared to my current one.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Current set up is:
Denon AVX2500
Monitor Audio RS8 front
BK XLS200 sub.

Many thanks

How tight are you on space? I wonder would the Silver C150 fit there? It´s now on sale and better than what you have currently and noticeably better than the cheap 3090Ci / Spektor Vokal. I would rather live without center channel than downgrade such way. You still have quite expensive main speakers.

RS LCR: 185 x 500 x 200 mm (HWD)

Silver C150: 165 x 450 x 200 mm (HWD)

Soon sold out (375-410£ normally):

Another good option to work fine with your RS8 Silvers would be MA Apex A40 with 140mm height and 100mm depth.

rccarguy2

Personally I say get the Silver C350, four way speaker is much better than MTM design and get it to fit.

DavidT

Here's a good centre for decent money but be quick or it will be gone....

CableGuy

I’d certainly agree with keeping to the same brand. In an ideal would, all three LCR speakers would be identical and dynamically capable as they are the most important speakers in a system. Failing that, matching the brand range as close as possible is the next best.

I’ve recently upgraded to identical LCR and it’s the best thing to happen to my home cinema. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom