• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Most stable modem/router - differing opinions

jakester

Standard Member
Ive been enquiring here as to what to buy to set up a working network with Xbox 360 and PC.

My set up is a PC upstairs with a USB modem and a Xbox 360 downstairs. I have been given good advice here as to what I need - a modem/router wired to my Xbox 360 and my PC feeding off it wirelessly upstairs.

Suitable modems people have suggested seem to include Netgear DG834GT or Speedtouch and D-Link or Linksys.

Anyway:

Q1) For everyone who recommends a modem I seem to hear another who has had connection problems. Is it true that most people seem to use Netgear without probs?

Q2) Is it feasable to have a system where I buy the modem/router for my Xbox360 and keep using my old USB modem for my PC?

ShadowmanUK

1) Yes most people who use Netgear have no problems at all. I've spoken to hundreds of people (probably thousands) since the launch of Xbox live beta and Netgear is the most reliable range of routers. I regularly hear of problems with all of the other makes, whether they are "real" problems or setup related problems. I cannot recommend them enough.

2) You could keep your old USB modem for your PC. But obviously you cannot have them both connected to your phone line at the same time.

WelshBluebird

You can keep the usb modem, but would need to disconnect to modem/router to be able to use it.
To be honest, there's no reason why you should keep using the usb modem. Just keep it somewhere safe incase the new router breaks down, then use the modem router to connect your pc and xbox to the net

To be honest, most wireless ADSL modem routers should work, even cheapo no name brands from Ebay, Maplin etc. The big difference will be in the documentation/support you will get.

I use Belkin with absolutely no problems. {prepares for torrent of abuse}

My only hassles so far have been with BT buggering up the line whenever they feel like it!

jakester

Standard Member
Do I need the Netgear DG834GT or would just the DG834G be suitable for me?

WelshBluebird

jakester said:

The G model should do. You only really need the GT model if you have ADSL2+ (as the GT uses a specific ADSL2+ chipset, while the G uses a modified ADSL1 chipset) or move a lot of files around a home network (the GT has a max wireless speed of 125Mbps, while the G has a max of 54Mbps - although in the real world, you wont ever see that kind of speed)

Nicky

jakester said:

The GT also seems to have some reliability issues compared to the G. I was looking at upgrading from the G to GT and couldn't see the point. The G has alsways been perfectly stable.

Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom