Most seamless layer changing DVD...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by monotone, Sep 6, 2005.

1. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checking out which DVD players offer the smoothiest & quick layer change...

Personasl experiences...
    1. Pioneer 919, smooth but still noticeable
    2. Marantz SA12, very slow... so highly noticeable

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My Denon 2200 is completely seamless, but has DTS sound and picture drop outs.

My Panasonic E50 DVD-RAM is pretty quick and has no drop outs.

3. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    best ever was the Denon 2900.

Its hard to believe that still now dvd players are released with slugish layerchanges. even thoase costing over 1K

5. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    I've never seen a layer change on my Pioneer 575.

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Any pic/sound/disc glitches?

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Me neither.

The only problem with the player is the noisy drive mechanism.

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is this audible whilst watching a DVD?

9. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me neither. :clap: (i dont have a noisy mech' either)

My old Tosh SD100e was very slow though. In fact - you could go for a pee break in the time it took to change layer. :eek:

10. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The older it got, the worse the layer change on my dvdp got. I replaced the drive with an old dvd drive from my PC and voila, no more issues at all.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Not something I've particularly noticed on mine, can't recall it being mentioned as a common trait by others either. Can you take it back?
    ...PJ :)

12. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    This is my bugbear with the Pioneer DVD players I've owned.

My 868 has the same half second gap that my 717 had all those years ago.

So a cheap player like the 575, has superior, better firmware and electronics than the range topper 868??

That can't be right. :confused:

Or is it more likely to be the case, that some people are more suspectible to the layer change than others.....just like when I had a 100Hz CRT, I couldn't watch a 50Hz CRT for more than a few minutes, without being driven to distraction by the flicker.

13. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    My Oppo's completely seamless, amazed that i used to put up with a layer change of a second with old dvd player, and even with volume muted, it's almost impossible to tell the Oppo is running

14. kev00

kev00
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon 2900. Amazing full stop (and I haven't had any of the sound drop out problems with mine either!)

15. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well from personel experiences the only machine that I have owned/own that does not have a layer change (and/or sound dropout) due to the built in buffer is the Denon 2900.

Only one disc has ever given a slight indication that there had been a layer change/branching was the region 1 blade trinity extended cut and i doubt i will be watching that too much.

This was one of the contributing factors to the actual puchase as I was niggled by layer changes on previous units.

eatstatic

16. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    How does the 2900 compare with the newer x910 range? I'm interested as I can still detect the layer change on some disks, even if it is brief.

17. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I think it is just that people are not susceptible to it, as all pioneers have the dreded layer change issue and i cannot see the 575 being any different.
    I've had a 626,525,656,565,360 and they have all had it.
    A friend at work has a 898 and he never noticed it, untill i told him about it.
    I'm quite bad with layer changes and i notice it every time and it really annoys me, but since i got my denon 2900.......movie heaven. :smashin:

18. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Did you miss all the people who have said there is no layer change problem on the Pioneer DV-575a - in fact most have said its fast and almost seemless - or did you just choose to ignore them?

You say ALL Pioneers have the 'dreaded layer change problem'...but have you seen ALL Pioneer players sold in the UK - including the latest ones?

Have you even seen a DV-575a in action ?
    If not how can you make such a sweeping statement?

Typical that people with Denon gear think they are better than the rest of us because their gear is over-priced, not to mention (often) over-rated.

Also makes sense then that we need a Denon user to point out a layer change - i mean the rest of us are just too stupid - right ??? :nono:

19. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    No......but i've seen most of them......how can some 575's have no layer change and some do...??

I have not seen one, but i would like to, but i'm not going to go and buy one, just to see another layer change.
    I can make a sweeping statement because all pioneer players suffer from it.
    Name one that dont....!!!

I dont think us denon owners are better than you....although i dont know you, so who knows.
    I'm not saying denon are better than pioneers, but i prefer to have a player without a layer change.

Could well be, i dont know.... :rolleyes:

20. kev00

kev00
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH, it don't matter what kit you have, as long as you are happy with what you bought. I wouldn't care if it was branded beko, crown or whatever. It comes down to what ever suits your needs best and what you feel is the best sounding/performing/visual/performing etc etc

I had a Denon 1910 and took it back after a week as it was absolutely dreadful. Horrible layer changes, a very blocky & patchy picture, and for what was meant to be a mr player, it spat out 1 in 3 R1 discs. No brand is totally trouble free no matter how much or how little money you spend.

kev

21. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Calm down guys,

As a Pioneer DV-575 owner I can honestly say I (and I emphasise I don't notice the layer change.
    Other people can be more sensitive to the layer change than others, some players can disguise it better than others (video buffer anyone ??), hell even some DVD dics HIDE it better than others, ie, the change is at a non crucial part of the movie, between scenes when there is a fade out etc etc, some discs put the change at a point where a scene is cut straight to the next, this can be noticed on some players I suspect.
    The first ever DVD player I owned (Philips DVD-710 I think the model No was), it was AWFUL. Took about 1-1.5 seconds to change. I had a Pioneer DV-626 next, better but still noticable. Then came a Philips DVD-728, this was a helluva lot better at the layer change, hardly noticable at all. Pioneer DV-565, slightly noticable, but by now I had got used to the fact all dual layer DVD discs will have a layer change.
    Borrowed a Toshiba SD-340 from a mate till I bought my 575, that had a slightly noticable pause, but not bad at all.
    Pioneer DV-575, as I said earlier, have YET to notice it.

TTFN,
    Graham.

22. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    There you go BOSE owners, as long as you're happy with what you paid for your's I'm happy with what I paid for mine (probably a lot less, maybe better sounding ??) :devil: :devil:

WAIT'S FOR THE INEVITABLE FLAMING

Only kidding folks :rotfl: , as long as you yourself are happy, then thats all that matters.

TTFN,
    Graham.

23. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Players using the cheap mediatek chipsets have no layer change whatsoever.

This means your £25 Alba from Argos, and all your budget Philips players, and the cheap Pioneers.

Until I started shopping for a 'proper' player did I realise layer change was even an issue...people are paying over £500 for the last drop of cinematic performance only for the picture and sound to drop out every film...madness

24. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You haven't seen one - so you can't comment with anything but speculation. Full stop. :nono:

Erm...the DV-575a. HELLO !! Please do try and keep up !!

Tells us all we need to know i think.

Do you drive a BMW aswell ?? :rolleyes: :

25. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    the *910 series are seamless on most dvds, but do have a very brief pause on some (must be a difference in the mastering process with these particular dvds). the 2900 however, is seamless on all dvds, including the ones that have the brief pause on the *910 series.

26. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    denon 2900 layer change was totallly unnoticeable. Better than even marantz 9500 which has a very slight pause!!

27. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I had (still have) the 525 and the layer change was noticable on that. I have watched just as many, if not more, movies on the 575 and not noticed any layer change.

To be honest, even if it did have a layer change there's *no way* I'd part with this machine. It is an excellent player....

As is my new Oppo which, though early days, I haven't noticed a layer change on either... yet...PJ :)

28. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'm as guilty as the next man for bitching about half-second layer changes, but it was only a few years ago that I was watching T2:SE on PAL LD.

A 2 discer, with the film spread over 4 sides. So changing each side took a minimum of 26 seconds on my CLD1750. :eek:

Kinda puts things into perspective. :rolleyes:

29. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Actually that does not put anything into perspective but just shows how desperate you were to get a tiny bit of extra quality.
    Fact is, that layer changes are simply due to poor engineering. Or has anybody EVER seen a layer change on a PC? I haven't. But almost every DVDP has layer change issues.

Strangely, it is hard to say what's at fault. A buffer does not seem necessary, as some cheap players with no buffer have hardly any layer changes or equally fast ones to the ones with buffers.

As I said before, I have a 3 year old Cyberhome DVDP. The drive was not working properly anymore, I couldn't access special features (I presume they are on the second layer and the player had trouble jumping right onto the second layer wihtout context) and the layer changes had always been noticable.

Now I simply swapped the drive against a 4 year old DVD drive which once was in a friends ALDI PC. Removed regional coding and built it in. The DVDPlayer remains exactly the same and simply has a new drive. And voila, everything works perfectly and fast and there has not yet been a single layer change!
    So although no buffer, no software change no nothing except for sticking in a new drive, everything is the same but the layer change is gone.

So clearly, if there is a layer change, he engineers simply did not build a good DVDP.

30. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    That's harsh. From what little I've seen of LD it was more than a "tiny bit" better than VHS. Not least in the sound stakes. And I don't see it as desperate, I see it as normal to have a go at some sexy new technology. It often comes with compromises...PJ :)