1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Reliable Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aouieewer, Oct 11, 2004.

1. aouieewer

aouieewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at buying a new plasma for the office. It's main function would be to run a looping powerpoint show for clients. The two I have found are the Pioneer PDP-433CMX and Sony's PFM 42V1/B. Between the two companies, which one is more reliable, less likely to have something go wrong, and last the longest with the best computer resolution? Please help!

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are far more experienced members here who will do doubt correct me, but given your requirements, why do you specifically want a plasma? I suspect that a Sharp Aquos 3700 LCD monitor would be a far better bet (or a 45" Titanium Aquos if you really need the size).

You'll have far less worries about burn-in, far longer life, and they are (as far as I know) far more suited to connection to a PC.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No need for correction Sulis - LCD is usually far better suited to the boardroom for all those reasons listed. A more expensive option if you must have 42/43" but if you're just looking for a big-ish display a 30" LCD represents a real bargain. £2k for a good one, £1k for the DABS cheap and cheerful (which will likely be all you need!).

4. aouieewer

aouieewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need bigger then a '30 and will probably be using it for other things. Plus, it's not my buck, so I would rather go with bigger and shinnier. so, if you could please help, between the Pioneer and a Sony, which company gives a better product?

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Pioneer without a doubt, if it HAD to be one of the two.

But a 37" or 40" LCD will cost maybe 50% more, but still give you twice the lifetime, higher resolution and no screenburn. LCDs also run on less power and are native widescreen resolutions (so your presentations don't look all short and fat!)

6. aouieewer

aouieewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do LCD screens do for functions other then computer output, aka, training DVD's and anything else?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I don't think LCDs are quite there for the top dedicated Home Cinema installs, I think plasma achieves the nicer picture overall. But for anything less than the ultimate setup the newest generation of LCDs are there with the top plasmas on PQ from PC and from video sources (DVD, Digit TV etc).

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. aouieewer

aouieewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...I can't get an LCD. The budget has been set and the approval has gone through, so really, the LCD isn't an option. Which brings me to the original question. Which one is better between a Sony and a Pioneer

10. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Pioneer is the daddy of the plasma world. :)

S.