Most reliable OLED Brand

Most reliable OLED TV Brand.

• Total voters

Plugman

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to satisfy my curiosity but it looks to me that Sony & Panasonic seem to be the most reliable, LG the least. My mind thinks this could be because LG are the TVs most likely in stock and are often the Best Buys in Magazines like What Hifi etc. Indeed you would think after reading Which? That no other brand of OLED existed.

Or is it because of better quality control at Sony and Panasonic?

Any thoughts?

In terms of the Panels they all come LG and what is odd that terms of the TVs, I see nearly all issues posted are about LG. Mostly c6/c7 burning in issues that was subject to a recall, but not exclusively. That may well be as say be because most Oleds are LG.

Yes in theory all OLED panels come from LG. You would also expect that LG could source these cheaper than other manufacturers as well. I would also expect most stores stock LG so you would expect most OLED purchases to be LG. Especially given the universal praise there TVs get. It is surprising that they also seem to get the most faults.

I think the question we should ask is who has the best warranty and customer service.
My dealing with different manufacturers over the years can vary massively. Since most oled panels are made by lg the choice is who would warrant things like screen burn, failures and any other issues.
Remember years ago I had 1 dead pixel on a lg plasma and all I had to do was send a picture and they came round with new tv and took old one away. Recently spent over a year complaining to Sony with 2 repairs eventually they replaced it.

And that ties in with which retailer gives the best service when you are getting nowhere with the manufacturer. To me Richer Sounds are the leader here.

And that ties in with which retailer gives the best service when you are getting nowhere with the manufacturer. To me Richer Sounds are the leader here.
I think you've answered your own question any make of oled can go wrong I've had LG and Panasonic oleds replaced first with John Lewis and the second Richer Sounds if you stick with one of them I don't think you can go wrong

I think you've answered your own question any make of oled can go wrong I've had LG and Panasonic oleds replaced first with John Lewis and the second Richer Sounds if you stick with one of them I don't think you can go wrong
John Lewis has been great in the past for other things with me so can second that.
Manufacturers can be hit and miss.

I will add a poll to this thread and generate another one for best back up from a store.

Whilst LG may supply the OLED panels to other manufacturers, a TV is more than the panel, there are lots of other bits to go wrong and I suspect LG may not use the highest quality components nor perhaps have the best software.

I have two (non-OLED) LGs myself and have experienced more than a few "glitches" eg just off the top of my head I have had times where
  • it won't turn on (needing power cycle - sometimes needing several hours off)
  • won't turn off
  • random line across the picture
  • TV guide appearing full of symbols instead of text
  • Netflix starting up on its own shortly after turning on (actually both were doing this for a while)
  • random restart

Whilst LG may supply the OLED panels to other manufacturers, a TV is more than the panel, there are lots of other bits to go wrong and I suspect LG may not use the highest quality components nor perhaps have the best software.

I have two (non-OLED) LGs myself and have experienced more than a few "glitches" eg just off the top of my head I have had times where
  • it won't turn on (needing power cycle - sometimes needing several hours off)
  • won't turn off
  • random line across the picture
  • TV guide appearing full of symbols instead of text
  • Netflix starting up on its own shortly after turning on (actually both were doing this for a while)
  • random restart

I think that’s half the problem. Too much software and bloatware installed on tvs.
I use mine like a monitor. Everything else is ran on my Apple TV or virgin TiVo. So far it’s been good and no crashing but still need to restart tv now and again as the remote stops controlling other components through hdmi.
Had such a buggy experience with android tv and apps like crashing, sound drops etc. my other tv with Samsung tizen loses Wi-Fi often and only switching off at wall will get it back.

I think as user's we tend to repeat purchase gear that has been reliable for us in the past, of course a good retailer is very important also to deal with any expensive purchases that my go faulty.
It does seem Like LG do have more issues but that might be because there are more of them sold than Panasonic or Sony due to high cost.
Obviously though it's better if the TV doesnt go wrong in the first place as it's hassle we don't need.
Friends and family in my case have purchased Samsung and LG TV''s in the past and have had multiple failures, my Brother and I being more like enthusiasts have primarily gone for Japanese TV's like Panasonic and Sony and generally have had less problems than other family members, however his quite expensive Sony TV Did fail prematurely after only 3 years, so it's no sure fire guarantee.
I think I have been more fortunate with TV purchases than my friends and family, I have always stuck with Panasonic simply because they (so far have been kind to me in not giving me problems or breaking down) which is why I purchased another Panasonic TV (OLED) at the end of 2020. I still have a Panasonic PX37 Plasma in the bedroom that was purchased in 2008 that still works perfectly today.
Sometimes though I do think it's a bit of luck whether you get a good one or a bad one, I'm sure there are many happy LG and Samsung owners out there but for me personally it will always be Panasonic or Sony or perhaps Sharp when they eventually return.

I have bought and still own 3 Panasonics, the most recent being a 55" OLED. The guy at Sevenoaks said they see fewer returns of Panasonic than any other brand. He also rated their electronics as being slightly better at picture control. That did it for me, and I must say I'm thrilled with it. I also prefer the cleaner UI and lack of Google'y listening bits.

Yes in theory all OLED panels come from LG. You would also expect that LG could source these cheaper than other manufacturers as well.
They don't because whilst they're both part of LG group the company that makes the panels is different from the company that makes the TVs.

With Richer they will for larger TVs not sure on John Lewis they may well be more flexible on this.
Whilst collecting TVs up to 55" myself I have been more than happy with John Lewis repairs and returns policy on all makes but the last TV I bought was delivered to home by one guy carrying the box on his shoulder. Although not his fault, I was fuming about the fact that they send one bloke to carry a TV box which should be carefully carried by two.....so I went over the panel with a magnifying glass and found a couple issues and complained. John Lewis exchanged the TV no problem and sent TWO people to collect the TV so all good.
In light of JL no longer offering price matching, I would assume that they need to keep offering a better customer service.....or else electronics sales will suffer. I do find my faith and therefore preference tends to be Sony however having tried Samsung and Panasonic in the past.

Whilst collecting TVs up to 55" myself I have been more than happy with John Lewis repairs and returns policy on all makes but the last TV I bought was delivered to home by one guy carrying the box on his shoulder. Although not his fault, I was fuming about the fact that they send one bloke to carry a TV box which should be carefully carried by two.....so I went over the panel with a magnifying glass and found a couple issues and complained. John Lewis exchanged the TV no problem and sent TWO people to collect the TV so all good.
In light of JL no longer offering price matching, I would assume that they need to keep offering a better customer service.....or else electronics sales will suffer. I do find my faith and therefore preference tends to be Sony however having tried Samsung and Panasonic in the past.

I was a bit like this when my Sony went for repair. 1 guy came to collect a 65in tv without box. He managed fine but the repair didn’t work so Sony sent a new one in a box. Still 1 guy.

Bought my Loewe Bild 7 55” six years ago and it’s still performing perfectly. At the time the choice was extremely limited. LG or Loewe and LG had consistency issues so I bit the bullet and went with Loewe. Price included installation on a chimney breast, 4K quality HDMIs and professional calibration.

Value for money is low but the quality cannot be faulted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom