Most reliable make of DVD player

Trevor spencer

Hi

Just after some opinions about what makes are the most reliable , im in the market for a new player and was still considering what to get , im interested in

Yamaha DVD-S2500
Pioneer DV-989AVI
Toshiba SD-9500
Arcam DV79

As im probably gonna end up buying 2nd hand i really want a decent player thats gonna last more than a year , also would like something that plays all original disc's my 2900 didnt

Thanks

DeadKenny

Hmm, that's worrying. I was hoping Denon's would play everything as that was going to be my choice for an upscaling player. A name like that I'd expect to be near perfect. If it was an Alba from Tescos then yeah I'd not be surprised if it barfed on many discs.

What stuff doesn't it play?

For what it's worth my antique Sony 325 DVD player from the early days of DVD still plays 100% of DVDs reliably. However if their more recent standards of TV and amp production are anything to go by I would question how good their current DVD players are. I'm quite disappointed by Sony these days.

Trevor spencer

Hmm, that's worrying. I was hoping Denon's would play everything as that was going to be my choice for an upscaling player. A name like that I'd expect to be near perfect. If it was an Alba from Tescos then yeah I'd not be surprised if it barfed on many discs.

What stuff doesn't it play?

For what it's worth my antique Sony 325 DVD player from the early days of DVD still plays 100% of DVDs reliably. However if their more recent standards of TV and amp production are anything to go by I would question how good their current DVD players are. I'm quite disappointed by Sony these days.

hi , some people dont have any problems with there denon 2900 player's but a few of us unlucky ones do , it wouldnt play spiderman 1 R1 and i had trouble with ong bak R2 and alien quad box set

in my experence supermarket dvd players play everything,go figure :D

Eddy Kins

My SONY DVPNS76H has played everything I've put in it so far. I used to have a DENON 2200 which I ditched because it became so unreliable with certain discs.

DeadKenny

Oh dear. I think I need to revise my plans for an upscaling player then. Was going for Denon partly because I could also get a player with SACD & DVD-A so all-in-one, and reviews are good.

So that means I'm after the answer to this question too. Just in my case it needs to be an upscaling player also (to 1080p).

charliecossie

Trever, I have no knowledge of the reliability of the players you mentioned (who does?).
However, I can vouch for the 989 being a high quality player in every way.
I connect via HDMI and the picture is first class.
I connect audio via ilink and DVD/DVD-A sound is also first class. If I wasn't fortunate enough to have one of the best SACD spinners available, i'd also be very happy with it's CD/SACD reproduction (via ilink - haven't used analogue).

Also consider the Denon 3910.
The Denon 3910 is perhaps a bit better built. It suffers from macroblocking and my display made it obvious so it had to go. Soundwise the Denon is also pretty good at DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A (again via it's ilink output). The Denon also has a Denon Link 3 output (with the latest firmware).

The 989 is region-freeable with a Pronto (or similar) and the Denon has a handset hack.

Hope that helps.

Trevor spencer

Hi , thanks .. i think i might end up buying a DV989 , its also the newest one out the lot (shame its silver), the only thing i was a little worried about was that ill be using component and then hooking up to my HD+ so that can process to my screen's native res , so i take it the pioneer can output 480I or 480P on component ?

Also unfortunatly my amp dosnt have Ilink :( so ill be using coaxial digital output

But hopefully ill buy an ilink amp in the future so thats also a good selling piont for me

I do own a few pioneer bits and most are pretty reliable , ive had a few teething problems with my car stereo but that could be cause i dont use the car often and the battery keeps runing low , i dont really fancy another denon

charliecossie

It'll do 480/576 i/p over component or HDMI.

If you do get one, read the 989 thread on this BBS for some important tips about settings to make.

I understand your feelings about Denon!

DeadKenny

Any that will upscale to 1080p that are recommended to be reliable and good quality?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom