Whats the most powerful and bassiest subwoofer in the following ranges:

10"

12"

15"

Bigger than 15"

2kw?

C

CoZMoSiS

I think you need to rethink your question. How do you define power, input power ? sound pressure ? How do you define 'bassiest' ? Most flat response ? Lowest F3 ? Highest SPL @ #Hz ?

Thats naming a mere handfull of the more common variables. you cannot define a subwoofer as being 'bassiest' as that could be interpreted in 100 different ways.

R

rob_w

Do a search for the link to Tom Nousaines' test data - He's got the biggest list of subs compared to each other using the same test conditions that I've ever seen.

Unfortunately I don't have the url handy..

Cheers

Rob

C

craigsub

Gents - Even Noussaine's chart is of mostly out of production subwoofers. As a general rule, at least here in the Colonies, most of the high output subwoofers use multiple 12 inch drivers in either a horn loaded (see the b-deap from servodrive.com) or ported (see the B4+ from SVS) ... Even the 18 inch based subwoofers take a back seat to those designs.

The B4+ is rated at 122 dB/16 Hz/1 meter @ 10% THD ... That is powerful.

buns

Banned
id point out that I consider the contrabass a much more frightening prospect than the b-deap

ad

C

craigsub

Mark Seaton from Servo Drive could expand on that... the b-deap seems to be his current favorite, though he is re-working the Contrabass....

The Contrabass has a large advantage in that you can set one up like you would any subwoofer... the b-deap requires a pair of 42x42x18 inch monsters... and custom installation to complete...

Personally, I tend to agree with you, in that the Contrbass is pretty amazing....

buns

Banned
I looked into importing a servodrive sub...... the bdeap is great in a serious custom cinema, but you need custom enclosures for them which really rules them out for most.... the conta is, as you say, a more conventional sub in every way other than performance :D

Unfortunately Mark took about a month to come back on shipping so I had spent the money already!

ad