Answered Most Overrated Movie Out There?

You're missing the point I was making, unlike manufacturing something like a car, advances in technology and techniques doesn't automatically mean you can make a better film today than 70 years ago. A great film made 70 years ago is still a great film today; a great car built 70 years ago wouldn't be able to cope with todays driving conditions.

I may of fully agreed with your post if you had not finished it off using a rather weak example to put a valid point across as said poor film has no bearing on the technical advancement side of filmaking as a whole. It was poorly conceived , week casting , lousy script etc, much like all the good or bad films for the last 70 odd years .

Ah sorry just seen the post you commented on , yup I was missing the point here as I believe we are on the same page , almost :D.

Last edited:
I think Avatar it's far from overrated in many ways. Ok it got good reviews (83% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.8/10 on IMDb) and is the highest grossing film ever made, but..I don't know anyone who admits to thinking it's a good film, in fact I don't know anyone but myself who actually rates it at all. Nobody. I think it's a world class blockbuster, beautifully directed, with an average story. Yet it's almost criminal to admit to liking it.
A bit like The Last Jedi.
Its biggest criticism is that it is the same old colonial story juatset on a different planet.
However, how many films are actually original?
I liked it a lot.

These failed to hit the mark for me , never understood the continuing appeal and praise they get.

Donnie Darko
This is Spinal Tap
Edward Scissorhamds
Forrest Gump
Clerks
The Big Lebowski
I certainly agree on Forest Dump and The Big Lebowski.

These failed to hit the mark for me , never understood the continuing appeal and praise they get.

Donnie Darko
This is Spinal Tap
Edward Scissorhamds
Forrest Gump
Clerks
The Big Lebowski
Liked Donnie Darko
Loved Spinal Tap
Liked Scissorhands
Liked Gump
Loved Clerks
Loved the Dude

All in past tense because I haven't seen them for a while.

I'm going to reserve judgement on BR2049 until I get the chance to watch it again as the friend I saw it with said he found it better (albeit still too long the second time round) but:

La La Land. Granted musicals aren't the first genre I look to but I've never finished watching this I was that bored by it. Story didn't particularly grip me and I just found the songs really bland.

Inside Out. Squandered some interesting ideas and visuals by being Pixar by the numbers story-wise

ET. Maybe because I didn't see it when it was released at the cinema (not sure if my parents never got round to taking me or I never expressed an interest in seeing it) but when I finally got round to watching it in the 2000s I thought it was just kind of meh

The Last Jedi. Poorly fleshed out new characters, the expected Finn and Poe double act barely being in the same scene together, someone masquerading as Luke Skywalker, and the most ridiculous plot hole that even Jar Jar Binks would have spotted a mile off and is so enormous I can't just write it off.

Titanic. If you look at the film as a whole. If you just take it from when the ship springs a hole it's rather enjoyable...

Spider-Man Homecoming , a hugely overrated film. I thought it was awful.

Misery
Had great memories of this one, watching it in the cinema, another Rob Reiner triumph. But on recently watching it soon after rereading the book I felt disappointed. Kept on cutting to Richard Farnsworth's detective work instead of keeping the novels focus on Paul Sheldon and his claustrophobic and terrifying existence inside the Wilkes house. I still thought Kathy Bates was very good as Annie but she was better as Dolores Claiborne, and though also not perfect that was a superior movie to Misery.

I often see Dark City and The Matrix mentioned in the same sentence but I'm sorry i watched Dark City recently enough and though agreeably Kafkaesque and Jennifer Connolly looks lovely it's just hasn't aged as beautifully as The Matrix which blew my mind back in the day and was hugely influential. Plus Kiefer Sutherland is so annoying with his word speech patterns in it. Sorry Dark City fans.

2001: A space odyssey.

Lovely to look at, starts out well... and then Stanley takes you on a bad acid trip.

Forrest Gump, La La Land, Birdman, Sixth Sense, How To Train Your Dragon, Black Panther.

Last edited:
Children of Men. I watched it because of the rave reviews its gets, especially on these forums. But I found it a very "by the numbers" made for TV type of film. It was ok but instantly forgettable.

Children of Men. I watched it because of the rave reviews its gets, especially on these forums. But I found it a very "by the numbers" made for TV type of film. It was ok but instantly forgettable.
I watched this again recently. I still really like it but not quite as much as I used to.

Apologies if there is an existing thread. Mods - feel free to delete if so.

The Shawshank Redemption for me to start with.

Over to you...

The Hangover. When it was released everyone told me it was the funniest thing they’d ever seen. It was only alright.

Personally "Manchester by the sea" and also "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" the only film I have walked out of the cinema part way through!

Personally "Manchester by the sea" and also "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" the only film I have walked out of the cinema part way through!
Completely agree about Fear and Loathing, but completely disagree about Manchester. Taste is a funny thing.
A few others:
Forrest Gump
The Pianist
Braveheart
The Truman Show

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom