1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

most overrated film?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by charles, Feb 6, 2001.

1. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    My top five for most overrated film are;-

(1)The sixth sense.(mediocre and predictable,willis in a trance..)

(2)independance day.(formulaic,jingoistic,ridiculous,contrived-and will smith)

(3)Seven(slow,too dark a picture,petered out to a pony ending)

(4)ALL the star wars films(absolute ****e,for kids..)

(5)Matrix(good-but not that good!!)

(6)Notting Hill(poop)

(7)Lock ,stock and you know..(pony acting-when vinnie jones is the best actor in a film-you know its poop..)

(8)The full monty(should have been tucked away on channel 4 at 10.00pm-but a cinema release/...come on..)

(9)Four weddings and a funeral(notting hill no.1-a mediocre film at best)

(10)Men in black(tommy lee jones should have knocked out will(i`m so clever and cool)smith-then it would have been worth seeing!!

What about your choices folks?

2. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bloody hell (no4) STAR WARS FILMS , there the dogs bo**ocks of the best films ever made. if anything there under rated. The best thing about these forums though are opinions of others. i also thought nottinghill was excellent too.

if we are talking about over rated films:
    1) matrix
    2) armegadon
    3)any james bond film (minus- moonraker & living daylights)
    4)blair witch project

over to others................

3. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Armageddon
    Independence Day
    Titanic
    Apocalyps Now
    A Clockwork Orange

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So 5 or 10 now? [​IMG]

Anyhow, was Independence Day ever that highly rated? Nevermind, I add the following:

U571 or whatever (in the same league as ID4, Airforce 1 and Armageddon - aka 'we-American-are-the-heros-bull****-movie', though most of them make good demo discs.

As well I never could understand the hype about Star Wars, perhaps deep inside most of us are still kids ... ? [​IMG]
    But okay, everyone needs to decide that for him/herself, just my personal impression.

Oh, and another one: Out of Sight - what is so great about it? Risked buying the DVD and was totally disappointed

Notting Hill was IMHO total crap, "had" to watch it on a plane - booooring, and Titanic obviously was targeted at the female audience (which indeed did work very well - who wasn't forced to go along with his partner?), the only good thing about it was when the ship finally sunk (so it's of course sad that it really happened).

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    1) Matrix
    2) Fight Club
    3) Seven
    4) Alien 3
    5) Anything old like Casablanca

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Here's mine:

1) The Matrix - total w*nk! John Woo did a better job with "Hard-Boiled" in 1992, and didn't need any CGI to make it look fabulous!

2) Independance Day - So dull, and joingoistic!

3) Godzilla - Not a patch on those 1960's classics from Japan!

4) The Blair Witch Project - One of the most pathetic films ever made! Not scary, or even remotely uncomfortable to watch!

Some of you have listed "The Full Monty", "Four Weddings & A Funeral" and "Se7en". How can you say these films are overrated? For me, both "Monty" and "Four Weddings" were fabulous Brit-coms that hit the film industry at just the right time. As for "Se7en", it wasn't hyped that much upon its initial cinema release, but anyone who claims it petered out at the end, obviously has no idea of how great psychological thrillers can be.

Pooch

7. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    No. 1 at the top of the list by a mile has to be Armageddon. Then take your pick from Independence Day, Final Destination, Existenz, Bill & Ted, Godzilla, Any Van Damme, Executive Decision, You've Got Mail (can't believe I actually watched that). The list could go on forever really. Is there really any point in naming stuff like Iron Eagle III etc. I think that everyone just takes it for granted that these are crap.

I think that the most disappointing thing about most films is when you get all excited about them and then are just so disappointed when you see them. This is happening more and more in the modern age if cinema probably because films are being hyped to death before release and you are just expecting too much when you go to see them. In the end in 99% of cases you come out disappointed. Recent examples for me have been Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Three Kings, Snatch, Green Mile (Hanks !!). I am now really looking forward to seeing Hannibal. After reading the book I thought that it was a bit iffy, but apparently the ending has been changed completely. And of course Ridley Scott done it. Big fan of him. Anybody that does Alien and Bladerunner is all right in my books.

On the subject of films being hyped before release, it would be interesting if you would all post your thoughts on this. As an example you have to consider Gladiator (good old Ridley). I have recently watched this film again only for the 2nd time and again I thought that it was a very good film. Not earth shattering or anything though. Over the last year we have seen countless polls asking for the fav film of 2000 etc. When I seen that Gladiator got approx 60% of the votes for film of 2000 in one major poll it made me think. I believe that it should not be possible for a single film to get so much of the vote. What with everybody having different tastes then surely the votes should have been better split. I think that the general public are being told that they like a film even before they see it and then they get into a mindset that they love a certain film. As I said above, I actually enjoyed Gladiator and thought it was very good but more and more I have found myself being disappointed at films. The likes of Gone in 60secs, MI2, Face Off, Deep Blue Sea I have yet to see and I don't think that it would bother me too much if I never seen them. I'll probably wait until they are on Sky some night and I'm doing nothing else. Its just lucky that there are still good films out there. I am surprised with some of the films named above as being rubbish. Just goes to show we all have different tastes. Some of my recent favs have been: Fight Club, American Beauty, Bringing Out The Dead, Being John Malkovich, The Insider (not that recent as I bought my R1 nearly a year ago).

8. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Pooch,
    I`ll clarify why i think four weddings was overrated-bumbling,stammering Hugh Grant and a fair comedy-but what else?(Notting Hill was little more than a remake of this with-bumbling,stammering Hugh Grant!! yet again-in the end-getting the girl..)
    But four weddings-the best british film ever made?(and this was said about it in numerous articles.-is it really better than zulu..or bridge on the river kwai..or Lawrence of arabia.?.)...come on...

Seven?...a slow film..and very overrated now,the ending was not edge of your seat stuff OR unpredictable..(switchback was a far better film with brilliant acting from Danny Glover,now this is an underrated film!!)..

The full monty-huge hype from day one,but what was it?..a bunch of blokes get together and do a dance-and thats it!!-average channel 4 fare...buts lets not elevate it above that...

Oh,and i forgot Silence of the lambs with the ever-nauseating,irritating,shrill voiced-Jodie Foster(contact was poo as well-crap ending to end crap endings.-..)-though Hopkins was good..

9. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my overrated list would be:

1) Clockwork Orange
    2) Eyes Wide Shut
    3) Most Woody Allen
    4) Me, Myself & Irene
    5) Betty Blue

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

10. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah and Four Weddings was so cynically aimed at the American Market,

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5 most over rated films....how about

Mission Impossible 2 (a real stinker)
    Waterworld (like watching nice paint dry)
    Seven (personally thought it was slow+morbit)
    The Grinch(jim carey)not too many laughs..
    Amistrad (yes steven spielberg)..(flop)

martinc

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i loved seven! and Apocalypse now is one of my greats

13. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like slow and morbid....
    How come Armageddon is classed as overrated?
    I love this movie (don't bother to point out the flaws, as the flaws are, by and large, the reasons why I love it and I have heard them all before). But overrated? Where, exactly? I have never seen a good review of it and it was laughed off the screen at cannes.

Come to think of it, the only good reviews I have seen are in Home Cinema magazines that only review things like picture quality and sound and cannot tell a "good" film from "bad"...EG "...there is an amazing shot of still water that is crystal clear in chapter 17...".

One of the reasons I no longer buy the mags is because of all the mistakes and pointless reviews...

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be said that almost every film is 'overrated'. If you dont like the film then its bound to be overrated. IMO I watch a film to be entertained and not to take it so seriously. Most of you list Armageddon as an overrated film? So your saying you didn't enjoy watching it or were you expecting alot more from it because of the hype?? All films in this day and age have to be hyped up to pull the crowds. Knowing this, when you watch a film you should forget all the hype and watch the film with an open mind. I think its hard to find a film that is original and hasn't been done before.
    I would have liked to have seen your top 5 films as well as your most hated.

From a man who is easily pleased [​IMG]

15. Jimmy the Saint

Jimmy the Saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The king of the overrated films has to be the Blair Witch project! As you all know it cost thousands of dollars to make, was bought by a studio for a million and (after clever marketing i,e. internet) made millions upon millions. However crap the film is, it doesn't stop any of us queing up like lemmings and parting with our hard earned cash. Thats basically the idea of making a film in todays film making world.
    Take Mission to Mars (great big pile of ****e) and MI-2. Both of these films have class A actors i.e. Hopkins,Robins,Cruise but sod all content.We see the trailers (in Mission to Mars' case a more favourable directors cut of the entire film, allbeit in 2 mins) and are duped into thinking the film will be great on the basis of the actors, director and/or content.
    I think one reason Gladiator was so popular was that it was a return to the older style of film making (simliar to Braveheart).

'Boat drinks'

16. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in agreement with Geham here. I have to say, though, that to call Armageddon and ID4 overrated is missing the point of these two films. You know exactly what you are going to get when you watch a film like these - Americans save the day, big noise, big explosions (and a cool black dude for Charles!). That is the whole point of these kinds of films, which is why they are popular. They don't pretend to be anything other than entertainment and by and large it works for me. That's why I enjoyed Godzilla - anyone who saw this film and didn't like it obviously missed the point; a giant lizard trashes New York (worth watching just to see Americans take a pasting!) and that's about it, but that's exactly what you knew the film would be, so why be disappointed? I always try to see the good points of a film, the exception to all this is MI:pOO, which is quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen - and I bought Battlefield Earth! I think Mr Woo embarassed himself with that one. I don't recall a great deal about the first film, but I think a sequel would have been better based around Jean Reno's character, he looks and plays the part of an agent better than Cruise.

------------------
    The inspiration NOT the imitation
    The Mighty TM - the LEGEND lives on...

17. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    In my opinion Armageddon and Independence Day are overrated - I know what you're all saying, but the fact is both films continually feature on peoples 'top 5' lists which must surely mean they are 'rated highly' by alot of different people? To me that means that they are 'overrated'.

Also ID4 recieved a 5/5 rating in Empire magazine which is considered to be the best and most respected film magazine (Armageddon got 3/5).

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

18. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5 most over-rated films of all time?

Here goes...

1. The Matrix (30 minutes of fun ruined by Keanu Reeves' acting and 70 minutes of pointless exposition)
    2. Star Wars IV: A New Hope (Muppets in space - and I'm not talking about the special effects)
    3. Saving Private Ryan (Speilberg's finest 30mins followed by boring Boy's Own adventure)
    4. The Lion King (Oh boy... the dullest Disney film in years by a clear mile)
    5. Terminator 2 (big budget, big stars, and still less plot and originality than the original film)

Beek1

19. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Geham,i get what your saying-but,should we go to the movies expecting to see a pile of poo-if it has special effects/big budget and Will Smith?...After i saw the trailer for Independence Day i was expecting great things-it could have been a great film,but they opted for a formulaic pile of ****e that almost cries out ;-i`m designed for you brainless morons that don`t expect too much!!!
    I think we are all more easily pleased than we should be-we aint got much choice-but should we be?..cos as long as we are,and the box office receipts are there,we`ll get more of the same!

Bar Aliens,Blade Runner,the Thing and terminator,i can`t think of many REALLY good sci-fi films in the last 25 years(..its even worse with horror films,nothing truly scary since the exorcist)...its that dismal, we embrace mediocrity like fifth element,id4,armegeddon,matrix etc..and think the`re great...

20. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, but The Exorcist is not scary and, in my opinion, vastly over rated!

Ditto Gladiator! This was very disappointing mainly due to the extremely weak plot that just fizzled out at the last 30 minutes...
    At the end, I just thought "so what?" and felt relieved I had not bought it!

Try "Ring" (japan) for a good recent horror.

21. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Ring is excellent. Anyone seen Ring 2?

22. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +953
    Ring 2 ain't so hot but the third, Ring 0, is back on form again. Tartan are releasing all 3 over the coming months in the UK.

Go to
    http://www.dddhouse.com

look in the Jap discs section and order yourself a copy of Audition (approx £8 delivered) and be really amazed at the Jap hybrid of sick Cronenberg wierdness. It's the only version of this tasteful little number with English subs that's available, and it's sooooooooo cheap.
    I might not be back here too soon, but if you want more info go to the imdb (might be listed as Odishon), but you'd be foolish not to get it as a horror fan (if you are)

------------------
    I don't believe in voodoo...

23. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...erm...

* Eyes Wide Shut - boooring

* The Last Emperor - boooring

* The English Patient - boooring

* The Name Of The Rose - boooring

* American Pie - boooring

...I could go on for quite a while yet, but what the hey - five is a nice, round number...

! [​IMG] !

24. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Desade,
    I saw the exorcist when it was first released and thought it very scary then-now its not so scary because we have seen so much repetition since-and this has diminished the effect.
    But even so,there`s still- i.m.h.o.-nothing to touch it-even now.

25. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thnk there was only ever going to be one way this thread was going [​IMG]

When I'm watching movies I'm looking for some escapism, excitement, a few laughs, maybe some thought provoking - it all depends on the mood I'm in.

There aren't many films that don't have one or more of those ingredients and the classics in life, will always be few and far between. If they're every day, they wouldn't be classics [​IMG]

It all depends on what you're looking for.

26. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with the exorcist is not so much its scariness that is dated. It is still light years ahead of most horror in terms of use of sound, editing etc.

Its just the ideology behind the movie that grates these days. Namely, young girl with single parent needs father figure to free her from demons and bring her back into "control" of the patriarchal society that is represented by the catholic church. I have not seen the new edit, which apparantly features shots of regan and her mother enjoying the washington sights (loaded with signifiers of the vietnam conflict) before the nasty demon came along...and have little intention of doing so. This is only my opinion, though.

I thought the omen was far creepier and much more radical. Here, the horror is at the heart of the family and there is no easy resolution, no simple redemption. Here, the young evil person destroys the stable family unit and wins.

27. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Desade,
    I liked the omen by the way,but back to the exorcist-father karras was in essence,someone with his own inner demons who had lost his faith and had one final shot at redemption.(..and what a great actor-the guy who played him-in fact all the acting was excellent.)
    ..And did the devil lose?...he claimed a life of a priest by manipulating him into sacrifice...

The old priest died(who had fought tooth and nail with the devil for many years..)...regan and her mothers face at the end,indicated that things would never be the same again...

In short,the devil claimed two lives and ruined two others..

There are a lot of subtleties in the exorcist,and if you read the book-then watch the film-you will probably understand it more..

28. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not that I didn't understand it! This is just my prefered reading of it. Catholic propaganda....The priest who died was being punished for his lack of faith? Anyway, I suggest you get hold of a book called "Horror" by Mark Jancovich (a really nice guy, expert on horror and a good friend of mine) for more readings on the exorcist and other films. The book is quite heavy going, featuring marxist/feminist/freudian approaches to horror as well as good arguments for a structuralist approach. Also good is "approaches to popular film". a selection of essays on the same sorts of subject - genre, auteur, screen theory etc.

Then, try watching the exorcist again...!