1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Overated speakers of all time...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by uncle eric, Apr 1, 2001.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I dont mean Ken Livingstone or William Hague.
    Seriously, I think 'Bose' make the most overated and overpriced gear around. I wish I could head hunt their marketing people, they must have IQ's Da Vinci.
    These speakers are awfull. I was in Selfridges on the lower ground floor last Xmas with my wife when a Salesman tried his Bose pitch on me.
    I said I loved the sound. It was like listening to a speaker driver placed in a Coke can. I offered him a fiver each for them. I was Serious!!!

Apoligies to any Bose owners, this is just my opinion. Base yours on what you hear, not what you read (audio wise that is).
    Eric

2. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interestingly böse in German means 'evil, wicked'....read into that what you will..

3. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we have to appreciate Bose for what they are, they offer a "lifestyle" solution and to many (JDC included) they offer an answer to a question BUT that question is not "how can I get the best sound for my money?". I'd love a set of them for the bedroom.

4. JDC

JDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more - Bose speakers are oceans away from delivering anything appraoching HiFi - If any Bose lawyers are reading this, tough cheese... I OWN & use an A-M 5 speaker 'system' in my living room! I have one because it beats the c*%p out of my TV's internal speakers & is nicely inconspicuous. Fear not, I'm building a dedicated HC room using Sonus fabers.

[This message has been edited by JDC (edited 02-04-2001).]

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mart,
    Your right, but its a 'lifestyle' I for one could do without ;).
    best wishes
    Eric

6. timot

timot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Bose - that old nutshell

The BOSE quiz is:

1) How many people can fit 5 Sonus fabers speakers into their living room?
    Answers:
    1 = not many
    2 = most

2) When listening to DVD soundtracks either music or movie, how many people can say the BOSE sound like most other speaker packages?
    ( Forget music re-production from cds on this - we are not talking about cd music playback )
    Answers:
    1 = most
    2 = not many ( there is a startling difference )

If you answered 1 to the above questions then the BOSE speakers are a good buy for you!

Lets talk about BOSE for 277 posts

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    KAO, Bose is not equal to "Böse" (which could also spell "Boese") in German.

However my closest 'translation' would go into the direction of "useless, crap, not worth buying ..." :D

8. av curious

av curious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JDC,
    Just wondered if you`d got the Sonus Faber`s up and running yet? i`m pretty keen on them myself to use for av and just listening to them.Of course i havn`t heard them yet! ,but there`s loads of swooning reviews and i`m keen to know how youv`e got on and what you`ve got setup.

All the best,

Av curious.