1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Vincent Vega, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Interesting article, at least my radeon x700 supports HDCP...

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,555
    Yep..you'll need a monitor that supports HDCP once Vista comes, if you want to watch HD.

4. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Currently there are almost NO desktop monitor that support HDCP, you can buy a device to strip the HDCP but i'll cost you a nice sum of a few hundred quid. To be honest i'm not sure what the majority of the fuss is about, high def needs to be BIIIIG!!! :)

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Questions for ya:

1 - All these tv's/projectors being sold as HIDEF ready are going to be useless? Take my Benq 6210 for example. Says its HiDef ready on the box.

2 - How long do you think it will be before someone cracks it .... i'm guessing 1 month and we see a new newsgroup appear ;)

6. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    HD Ready is supposed to support HDCP over HDMI or DVI I think.

Someone will crack it but I think it'll be a while before it happens because its a whole new OS and semi-new kernell they'll be dealing with

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    That's why with MCE with it's 10ft interface you should buy only HiDef ready models...I feel sorry for the people not doing that to save a couple of quid now...

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    I'm not sure what people mean by HiDef ready or HD compatible, but it's not what we want. The important one is HD Ready - nothing else will do for BD or Sky HD. HD Ready effectively means the display must:

Have at least 720 lines native resolution
    Have approx 16:9 aspect ratio
    HD inputs must accept 720p and 1080i resolution
    HD inputs must accept component and digital inputs
    HD inputs must accept 50 and 60Hz
    Digital inputs may be DVI or HDMI
    Digital inputs must accept HDCP

There are many sets that do not meet those requirements, and they will be much cheaper than those that do.

Nick

9. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you take a wander over to the LCD forum, you will see that most LCD television sets are coming out with Digital Video Connections. These are either HDMI or DVI-I with HDCP (HDMI comes with HDCP as standard).

Not sure about PC monitors but LCD tvs have had HDCP compliant digital video inputs for over 12 months now. There are loads of companies making them !

Richie.

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139

And this is my point.

*IF* i have this correct then (if not, ignore me, im being a muppet!)

/rant mode on
    This SUCKS and is totaly wrong imo. If they are going to introduce stuff like this then it should be introduced BEFORE the format goes live (HDTV).

Even though my projector says "HDTV compatible (480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i)" it looks like I won't be watching any highdef (originals) DVD's. Now, I had no intention of buying/downloading pirate/copy highdef DVD's (my ISP will supply 100meg within 9 months) but im DAMN sure I will now - if i understand this correctly.

Another case of money driven BS that I hope will backfire in there faces!

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    your projector is HDTV compatible though the component inputs......just not HD Ready :(

12. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah like so many others I have been shafted by the money grabbing b*stards.

Oh well, best start looking for the HD posts in newsgroups then, unless this poor, money stricken industry can stretch its meager budget to buy me a better projector (which I would of done in the first place had this been common knowledge).

F*&K EM!

Piracy 4tw.

13. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yeah you'll be able to play the content, you'll just have it scaled :)

14. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Nick what do you think HD stands for....High Definition...I was just being lazy to write HiDef instead, but not lazy enough to just write HD....

In fact I would go as far that it's not even HD Ready that we want as there are many TV's and monitor out there that are already HDCP compliant even before the HD Ready logo was invented...It just makes it easier to identify...But just because you don't have the logo, doesn't mean it is not.....

@Monty....I'm sorry to hear mate, just hope you didn't buy my projector ;-)

15. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Heh cheers matey, nah I didn't ... not unless you work for BenQ, in which case, i want a word with you down that dark alley down there! (Eh? What baseball bat?)

I have emailed there tech people and asked for conformation on its HDCP abilities or lack of!

The movie industry/Sony seem to of really shafted us big style. I am more than willing to buy better hardware if I need to (I can afford it very easily) but, I REFUSE to just because they decide to change a standard halfway through its life.

I wonder how many people will buy a new HiDef DVD player and think that there plasma/lcd is perfectly ok. I wouldn't want to work in Dixons etc when they start becoming mainstream and people storm back demanding a refund (that they are not entitled too!).

16. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Its nothing new, HDCP has been around since 2000/01 and had been a requirement for digital outputs since upscaling DVD players were introduced almost 2 years back. People should have been aware of its imminent introduction for consumer products at least 2 1/2 years ago but many even now, still stick their head in the sand and ignore all the warning signs and blame it all on Sky and blu-ray/HD-DVD. What is wrong is the computer industry also failing to market enough products that are compatible but then they have a throw away attitude where the life expectancy of a product is very short and if you buy a new PC they expect you to buy new everything else. But there has been benefit to the public in greatly reduced prices over the last year or so.

17. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Sorry guess I missed all those adverts and HDCP explanations in Shops etc (dixons are just one example). All these were just telling us how great the HiDef picture was, not one word of it was ... "Oh by the way, look out for this digital Macrovision thingy".

It is the sellers job to make us aware of these things when we buy them. I did do a fair amount into equipment before making my choice of projector but at no point did i even stumble across HDCP.

"still stick their head in the sand and ignore all the warning signs and blame it all on Sky and blu-ray/HD-DVD"

And BR has ONLY JUST been unofficialy declared "the winner" so how were we to know about it?

We can only "stick out head in the sand" and hide from things if we know about them to start with!

18. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Well, it was a long shot, but I think I was able to guess what HD stood for.

HD Ready is a specific designation, and I just wanted to make the distinction against HiDef Ready, HD Compatible or HDTV, all of which mean different things.

HD ready ought to be a significant marketing descriminator, so if anything does comply with the EICTA requirements:

http://www.eicta.org/files/PressRelease1-115438A.pdf

I would very much expect such a piece of equipment to be bragging all about it in the shops, rather than trying to keep it a secret. But there's no reason why it shouldn't be a secret!

Nick

19. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  20. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    The thing is...shops do now brag about HD Ready...But they do not warn what the issue is when you do not buy HD Ready....And I think that is where the problem is.....

And yes HDCP has been around for quite a while, but let's face it...It wasn't until the recent year that HD sources became accessible to the crowds....

21. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yup. Totaly. And having two very similar descriptions for names for things that could so easily be confused is ... well, a marketing ploy and scam = BS. Having read the PC World article (and yes I do believe it, but thanks for your constructive input) and forwarded that link to a friend of mine, who is also very technical savy, he narrowly avoided a close shave on an expensive hunk of junk projector!

The point is, if two guys, both with MCE's falling out of there arses, in VERY high paid technology jobs and very "tech aware" are fooled by this, I wonder how many consumers are?!