Most Important Speakers?

G

grubling

Okay well I would like some advice, I have been reading this forum for several weeks now but never posted.

Just like to say on behalf of all the people that read and don't post, cheers for the advice as it REALLY helps with what everyone on here dicusses...anyway to the matter at hand.

I currently have a HK AVR5550 amp and a pretty lame set of Eltax speakers...the amp does make them sound pretty good though.

I want to upgrade everything and thanks to the comments here I am going to get a SVS 20-39PC+ sub as

A) they seem to be VERY good &
B) Exchange rate is rediculous and it would only cost £536 inc shipping at present

The question is what is the most important set to get next, centre, mains, surrounds?...need to know so I can slowly upgrde everything.

I have got a set of Energy CR-3 for the surrounds but need new centre, mains and surround rears.

The room is laminate floor, 4m wide, 9m long.

Please advise as to the best options, have about £1500 to spend initially.

Cheers for all the help!!

Paul

Originally posted by grubling
I want to upgrade everything and thanks to the comments here I am going to get a SVS 20-39PC+ sub as

A) they seem to be VERY good &
B) Exchange rate is rediculous and it would only cost £536 inc shipping at present

The SVS subs are the best value in subwoofery around at the moment but unfortuately I think that you have omitted the import duty and Vat so if you add 4.5% and then 17.5% to the total you will have increased the amount to about £660 which is still far cheaper than anything else of that quality available in this country.

You have two options, firstly you can buy five new speakers for £1,500 or you can build up in stages and it is up to you which you would prefer to do.

If you want to buy in stages it is important that the centre speaker is a tonal match for the front pair and as the front soundstage is where most of the sound emanates from it makes sense to tackle that first.

It would be helpful if you let us know whether the system is used for music and what type you listen to. I am an M&K lover and if it were me I would buy the best three M&K speakers that I could find for £1,500 and if that also included second hand, marvellous speakers they would be indeed.

For those that read my post before I edited it, I meant that the value in the quote was not that good, and not that the subwoofers were not that good as anyone who has been around here for more than a few weeks knows that I love my SVS :D

Fast response there Ian,

cheers....sorry should have said Cinema 98% of the time.

M&K were my first choice and i was going to ask after those once I had some replies.

What models do you suggest...the S85 are supposed to be good but I could not find details with the brief search I have done.

How much are they, and I also don't mind buying second hand....can often get much better quality for the same money that way!

Cheers,

Paul

The S85 have been recently superceded so are difficult to get hold of new. They were about £800 per pair and should be available for about 60% of that on the second market.

If you can get hold of them, three S85 for the front and a pair of Tripole 5 surrounds at the rear would make a marvellous setup .

Quite a few S85s have changed hands recently on our Classified Forum. I sold 3 myself on there a few weeks ago.

You could try placing a wanted ad (on our classifieds) as someone may well have some that they would be willing to sell. As Ian says, they are great speakers.

Excellent, thanks for the help on this one..I have spoken to the local dealer and they are looking into the M&K...the Adiva's I know nothing about so will look into it.

Any other speakers that would be decent for a front soundstage?

Paul

the Adiva's I know nothing about so will look into it.

I am not a great lover of the Gallo speakers but each to their own. The forum sponsors AV-Sales (link at the top of the page) have a set on display in the Kent showrooms so arrange a demo with them if the showrooms are convenient.

I dare say that they will do you a slightly better price than quoted above too ;)

So other than the M&K......I know your a bit of a fan from other posts on the site :)

What speakers would you recommend for front and centre?

Paul

My front sound stage consists of Linn Ninka floorstanding fronts (with upgraded basses) and a Linn Trikan center. This set up is worth an audition too imo. They sound wonderfull with both music and movies and offer a good upgrade path too. I currently have them bi-wired but they can be bi-amped, tri-amped and finally made active via the addition of crossover cards:)

So other than the M&K......I know your a bit of a fan from other posts on the site :)

What speakers would you recommend for front and centre?

Paul

For your large room I'd demo Dynaudio Audience 52 and Quad 12L speakers. Both go loud and will fill up your space admirably. :)

The question is what is the most important set to get next, centre, mains, surrounds?...need to know so I can slowly upgrde everything.

I have got a set of Energy CR-3 for the surrounds but need new centre, mains and surround rears.

I've not had yet had the pleasure of the Connoisseur range but liked the Energy Encore and Take 5 set. So as you have the CR-3 at the sides why not get three matching Energy C-C3 for the LCR duties at the front. Then some more CR-3 for the rear channels.

I wouldn't like people to think that I have ignored grubling who asked me a question as I have spoken to him on the telephone. I sold the virtues of M&K like mad but then reminded him that was just one person's opinion and his taste might be wildly different to mine.

Having seen Nobber's post it reminded me that we had a brief listen to the Dynaudio speakers at Bristol last weekend and they were rather good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom