most expensive movie ever made

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was looking this up the other day on wikipedia (maybe not 100% correct?) was surprised to learn that Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is the most expensive movie ever made at $300 million dollars.

Avatar's 'unofficial' budget was somewhere similar, but probably more knowing Cameron.

Still, at least with those movies you can see where most of the cash went. When I see some dire 'comedy' like Four Christmases cost $80 million, it makes me wonder just how much crack the studio execs were smoking when they greenlit it. :lesson:

How about the most expensive film which made the least amount of money?

Heaven's Gate wins hands down, it brought down a entire film studio. What could be more expensive.

And Waterworld

Always see this coming up. Waterworld actually turned a tidy profit. It is only in everyone's minds as at the time it was the most expensive movie by miles and the costs just kept going up and up.

It's budget was $175M and grossed $265M.

Always see this coming up. Waterworld actually turned a tidy profit. It is only in everyone's minds as at the time it was the most expensive movie by miles and the costs just kept going up and up.

I keep forgetting it did alright,it was just all the bad reviews,i like it and has had better reviews over the years :)

Cleopatra turned a profit... but only at VHS/DVD release.

Most big budget films turn a profit - thats why Hollywood is so keen to make so much expensive ****.

Where did Metropolis fit, if we adjust monies to today's values? From memory, that did some major damage too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom