Quantcast

Most engrossing storyline

James45

Standard Member
Playing/being addicted to Eternal Darkness on the GameCube has made me think back to those days when storyline was everything. What game got you hooked with its storyline.

I'll start with Grim Fandango on the PC, one of the finest games ever IMO, utterly absorbing and atmoshperic. It had me hooked for weeks.

-Jay-

Banned
it`s got to be shenmue 1&2 for me love it to bits.

G

graham.myers

playability, playability, and playability

not even naff graphics would stop you playing 'em

manic miner
gridrunner

oh those we the days

James45

Standard Member
Oi get orf my thread. Anyway I'm talking about games where the storyline and atmosphere are so enveloping they suck you in. Stuff Manic Miner I'm suprized that game didn't go on strike in the 80s!! You want a playability thread?! Start one! Here we are dealing with the time-honoured tradition of story telling.

dfield2000

Novice Member
I was totally absorbed by the plot in 'Space Invaders'. Watching the hordes of alien invaders slowly advancing on humanity line by line, destroying the defenders bases as they went. How would it turn out when they reach the bottom of the screen ? It had me on the edge of my seat all the way through.

dfield2000

Novice Member
You're right, it has passed my medication time, but I can't tear myself away from this game of frogger. Will the poor chap live happily ever after or is there some dark plot twist right at the end ?

G

graham.myers

I can't think of a game where the storyline was engrossing.

Don't get me wrong I've played some with *good* storylines - such as Parasite Eve for PSone even the hobbit for the C64 (which took 30 odd minutes to load of tape:eek: )

Even the Tomb Raiders aren't that bad. they're just not gripping, although the atmospheric music helps.

the horror genre tends to be more enveloping - Parasite Eve, Silent Hill et al.

Perhaps its the games I play - GT3, GTA3, Ridge Race - mmm I see a theme developing. Not an engrossing one though:D

A

Azrikam

I agree that a great storyline can immerse you into the game more than realistic graphics or sound can ever do. But, it's been so long since I've played a game with a really good storyline, so I'm drawing a blank.

I agree that Parasite Eve was really good. Max Payne also did a good job of sucking you in, IMO.

J

jag

I'll second Max Payne.

Back in the old days.......Secret Of Monkey Island.

James45

Standard Member
that's more like it. I'll third max payne as well, excellent story, gritty as hell.

It's ironic that those Lucasart's games like full throttle, grim fandango and secret of monkey island were renowned for their excellent stories while the films that company have turned out of late (ep1 and ep2) have had no story whatsoever.:D

kevb

Novice Member
Shadow Man was a good un. Great story, one of the best back storys of any game I've played, great cut scenes, excellent music.:D

J

jag

Clive Barkers The Undying on the PC had a good story. Pretty terrifying and not the sort of game you play with the lights turned out for very long.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Flashback
Fade to Black
Myst (yes I know most gamers hate it)
Riven (same as above but I felt more macho after working out the puzzles...)
Halo (its like being a movie dummy!)
Warhead (amiga alien blaster with decent spaceflight physics and questionable morality quandry interest)
G-Police ( still cool as FK)
Lords of Midnight
Dark Forces (ooh its in surround everyone!)
Elite ( sod the story do whatever the hell you want)
Elite2 (same as above)
GTA3 (same as above)
GTA:VC(same as above)

J

john87

Halo

Possibly Hitman2 but I haven't played it long enough to really know.

-=Kamikaze=-

Standard Member
MGS, MGS2, Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica and pretty much every Japanese RPG I've ever played.

A

Azrikam

I can't believe I forgot about Halo.

Also, I played an RPG with an amazing story on the Dreamcast. I could be mistaken, but I think it was Grandia II.

RimBlock

I must admit that the Final Fantasy games (the previous two anyway) had a great story.

Loved the story in Max Payne and Deus Ex was quite good also.

Battlezone II along with Conflict Freespace 2 are games where they had great stories, great playability but were not as sucessful as they should have been.

The best rolepalying story line is with Planescape Torment though. Wasn't a comercial sucess though as it was seen as too 'talkie'.

Roll on the quick fix playstation generation......:(

cessquill

Final Fantasy 7 was a good story, although 8 could have done with some more revisions before release. As for 9 or 10 I couldn't comment yet, since I haven't started them (long story).

Resident Evil 2 was a cool one to follow, but I'm not so sure about MGS2. It was a good story that was helped along by great graphics and playability. From what I remember I was confused quite a lot with it, but I was going through spells of putting it down, so I might just have forgotten stuff.

There was a game that I loved on my old Atari 1040 that I seem to remember had a good story. Kind of like a detective/spy game, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Big at the time. To load it you had to identify colours on a picture of some people in a space-ship. Anybody remember, or am I going to have to give you more than that?!

groundy

Standard Member
Eternal Darkness is certainly up there - without a doubt the best voice acting I've yet come across. I can't believe no one has mentioned Zelda yet. Ocarina of Time is probably the most engrossing game I've ever played. Majora's Mask was a great story too. Also agree on the Final Fantasy games, Shenmue, and Resident Evil 2. Let me not forget Another World either ;).

Does anyone remember an old ST/Amiga game where you were fighting against the Nazi's in WWII? It was a simulation/world conquer type game with a few action scenes. Your character had a Jetpack ala Rocketman type thing. It had an amazing story but that's all I remember about it :(.

-=Kamikaze=-

Standard Member
Warning spoilers:
“Medal of Honor Frontline” who could have known that the allies would end up winning the war. I though the Nazi armies truly where invincible and world domination was imminent. Just goes to show you that you should never ever invade Russia this is specially true if the invasion is not finished by winter time.

Trending threads

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Film festivals move online: We Are One starts 29th May