1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

most efficient bittorrent client

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeKay1976, Jul 9, 2005.

1. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    Hi

as you may be aware from otehr threads, i have having stutter issues with my htpc. i have noticed that it is mildly better when i DONT have a bittorrent client in the background, (still not fixed) however ideally i do need one running. Currently am using azureus, which i am happy with, however its java based & therefore not that resource friendly.

any one reccomend a more efficien client? Userfriendlyness would be nice, however bottom line minimum resources is the key here.

still doesnt fix my problems, but maybe it will help (i have almost resigned myself to never getting sweetspot & descaler 100% smooth :( )

many thanks for your thoughts

M.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I use bitornado however you might just need some advice on your Dscaler settings.

Whats your machine spec , what res and refresh rate of your desktop and what Dscaler settings are you using?

Dscaler is very cpu intensive you won't be able to do an awful lot else on the machine unless its pretty high spec with Dscaler running.

3. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have always found 'BitComet' to use very little resources, I used to use Azureus but now think bitcomet is better.

This is a snippet from the official site:

"It is reported that it can even working smoothly on AMD K6 266MHz MMX with 128M RAM."

PS I found an article that recommends changing maximum connections to 1500, this actually improved my dl speeds but may have a negative effect on cpu usage and depends if your router can handle this number.

4. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    Hi folks & thanks for the responses.

i will check those clients out as for my computerspec

Athlin XP2500+
    512mb ram
    ABit NF7-S (soundstorm sound)
    Matrox millenium G450 32mb

its jerkyu even when descaler is set to mimimum settings (descaler only set to less than 300mhz cpu with descaler only on the priorities, & with a virgin xp & descaler installation.

it runs ok when i am using tv out so i suspect it must be a monitor issue, however dvd's look ok.

have tried various refresh rates (75hz (which i thought would be the onle as is divisable into 50), 60hz 56hz & 72hz & at 1024x768 & 800x600

monitor is a 37inch phillips 37pf9946/12 plasma (doesnt seem to like 100hz)

cheers

M.

5. ben_wade

ben_wade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always use bitcomet. Minimizes nicely to yhe system tray, don't even know when its running :)

I even play games online (EG farcry) and see no difference in the game when its running

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    Shareaza has decent bittorrent suport these days, I have no problems so far with background downloads on a system very similar to yours, even downloading at up to (stable) 300KB/s.

For torrents I do much prefer Azureus though, it's still the best? for achieving fast, stable downloads, once you get the hang of it... :rolleyes:

I'll have to check out BitComet.. :)

Slightly off topic..

But, has anybody here taken part in any private torrent networks?
    I'm thinking of setting up a private system, to back up data with a few friends..
    Is anybody here using (or ever used) .torrent for private file sharing?

It seems to me that .torrent is the perfect solution for *backing up* all your much-loved long-ripped CDs, DVDs to a secure Offsite location...
    ( or my mate Jim's house, in my case. )
    And the more people who participate, the faster it all goes etc.. :)

Is anybody out there already doing this?

7. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have tried all the listed clients above and ABC is the best.

trust me !

8. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    ABC is a great client BUT it's a serious memory hog and has an annoying tendency to hang around using resources even after its shut down. I'm not sure I'd run it permanently on a 512mb machine.

9. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have to disagree, i've tried all the above too and i find bitcomet the best by far. Its only the best when the upload rate is limited. I have a 1mbit connection and when i limit the upload to 10kb/s i can download at about 118kb/s which is faster than i get from most webservers :)

Azureus was the most disapointing by far, i found it had really poor download speeds

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Sorry to be so dumb, but I haven't a clue what bittorrent is ! Is it a legal thing ? Does it give people access to your computer ?

11. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still using the original client I got from the originator's site (the guy who wrote the code in the first place). It's about as efficient as you could get, no bells or whistles, and the impact on my PC is virtually nil. But you don't get any control unless you use the command line!

12. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,309
    is bittorrent legal... yes 100%, however it depends what you do with it.

all BT is is a client which allows you to share files, much like emule. however ime its much better than emule.

it does give otehr people access to certain areas of your computer, & it can be used for illegal activities (piracy) but you wouldnt catch me doing that.

13. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have spent a bit of time trying out the different torrent clients. Bitcomet for me gets download speeds 10 times faster than any others. I have not tried them all but here are my experiences:

Azureus; Spent a long time going through their wiki and configuring as per instructions. Down load rates very poor.

BitLord; Is this just Bitcomet with ads? Gui almost identical. Download speen ok.

Bitcomet; limited upload to 10kb/s as per post above and download rates are excellent (above 200kb/s).

14. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've only got a 512Mbit connection and I can't ever get high speeds (the highest I have ever had was 15Kbits/sec and the upload always seems to be faster than the download speed). I know that with SP2 the number of connections is limited to 10. I have the program that will rewrite the connection limit (tried 20). What is the best number to raise this to? 1500 seems a bit high.

15. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have SP2 and without changing this setting I am getting the speeds quoted in my previous post. Which client are you using?

16. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Bitcomet

17. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Don't know then. Someone else will have to answer the connection question. I run Bitcomet. Changed the upload rate and that was it even with Sp2.

18. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    50 TCP connections is reasonable, you seldom seem to get more active hosts than that, in my experience tinkering with various clients.

On a few mates PCs, who have V.fast broadband connections, I've gone for 250 as XP can cope no problems at this level, and you'll never hit 250 anyway from what i've seen... a mate had 164 (I think) running briefly a few weeks back, the download speeds he was getting were superb.