most economical ASIO sound card

NaTT

Prominent Member
Reaction score
whilst re-installing my Audigy 2, I noticed a little note in brackets explaining that ASIO is only available on the platinum and platinum 2 edition. Doh!

That'll be why I was getting no sound output and not picking up CDs whilst in Meedio with ASIO output selected.

So is ASIO the be all and end all? Will it give my PC the edge over my Pioneer DV717 which currently gives a more open and even harsher (but I like that) sound from SPDIF out to my Amp?
Has got any before and after experience of SPDIF out sound cards moving from non to ASIO enabled?
And seeings as it's purely for audio playback, what's the best buy card (something not designed to produce symphony's on your PC)?

I've got a M-Audio Audiphile 2496 ( about £70 ) which I think supports ASIO, however I run it in 24bit/96kHz mode for audio using the resampler in Foobar2000. AFAIK all ASIO does is guarantee that Windows Kmixer won't resample your music from 44.1kHz to 48kHz.

Cheers

Simon

If IIRC there's a program called ASIO4All which should work with most sound cards ?? Can't remember where I saw it tho...google :)

cheers I'll give that a whirl. It's got me thinking that the Audigy ASIO driver might only ship with the above mentioned cards, but might work with my card...

smashing, the realtek on board sound card with my MSI K8N Neo Platinum mobo when working with ASIO enabled, now sounds as good as my DVD player into my amp (again back to back test of Gypsy kings CD track playing on both sources).
So for my ears it's fixed.

Out of interest though, why might my Amp (Yamaha A2) be reading the input from the DVD player as 44.1K and that from my PC as 48K when I've got all my drivers telling my sound card to leave well alone and stay at 44.1K?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom