1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most awe inspiring moment?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by BlueOrange25, Nov 2, 2004.

1. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Which gaming moment from years gone by has stuck with you the most? I'm talking about the moment where you were struck dumb with amazement at what you were seeing in a game/from a machine.

Personally, my moment was seeing Super Mario 64 for the very first time on the Nintendo 64 some 7-8 years ago.

2. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The first one that springs to mind for me was Far Cry.

The first time I could survey literally square miles of beautiful beaches and jungles, knowing that I could explore all of it!

Similarly, the first time I saw Halo on the XBOX and just knowing that I had to own an XBOX - and paying £300 for the privilege!

Further back in time, Sonic on the Megadrive - real parallax scrolling!

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Hike on the Research Machines 380Z. All in ASCII, but my very first experience with a proper computer.

Asteroids on the Atari 2600.

Elite, Driller, Lords of Midnight and The Last Ninja on the C64.

Starglider, Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga.

X Wing, Wing Commander, Castle Wolfenstein, Hexen (thru 3dfx Voodoo Righteous graphics card), Team Fortress Classic, Planetside on the PC.

Soul Calibur on the DC.

Rez, Eyetoy on the PS2.

MechAssault on the Xbox (my first Live game).

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Seeing the intro to MechWarrior on PC.

Playing AVP2 in the dark.

Watching the CGI in FFVII.

Playing the first few levels of FF:Tactics on PS1.

Being able to manually dock in Elite.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I would have to agree with many of Squiffy's comments.

Games like Elite, Driller, The last Ninja & Soul Calibur all blew me away at the time.

Carrier command on the Spectrum was another - how did they get that game onto a speccy and it was actually (obviously apart from graphics) a better game than the Amiga version.

Gran Turismo on the PS1 was another, the reflections & realism of the graphics were amazing at the time!

16 bit games like Golden Axe, Ghouls & Ghosts, Strider & Street Fighter 2 were also amazing in their day as for the first time we had games that were almost Arcade perfect conversions.

Turbo Esprit on the speccy with real pedestrians & working trafic lights blew me away when I first played it as did side scrolling platform game Rex on the Speccy - amazing animation for such little sprites!

Another moment was when I first played Counterstrike as it was my first real experience of online gaming!

Others include - SM64 & Goldeneye on the N64, Afterburner (sit down) Arcade & Ridge Racer and ISS Pro Evolution Soccer on the PS1.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Another copped Halo from 100ft away in HMV and promptly paid 300quid for an Xbox on its release day ... don't regret it.

Becoming Elite! manual docking is easy ...you just have to accurately imagine the space station floating and rotating outside the confines of your TV screen when you whang past it so you can figure out when to turn into it!

Completing Impossible Mission "No... No... No.....argh"

Completing TombRaider on the PS1.

Clocking up 30 million on Star Wars at the local arcade when I was 11 after practising for over a year to re-establish the number 1 tag (top 3 are permanent on switch off!) after some twerp name of JEZ plastered the top 3 slots with 25 million plus scores. I had about 20 people crowded round the cockpit and came back from 3 shields to 6 around wave 17! Huge round of applause! And the left trigger didn't work!

(my mum worked in the arcade in case anyone thinks it odd that an 11 year old was hanging around there: to be honest they weren't that sleazy back then)

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I have a few from different generations of console,

Seeing the loading screen for Rambo on the C64, it just looked so amazing back then, also the Last Ninja on C64.

Wonderboy in Monster Land on the Master System was great the way you could just buy things and upgrade weapons, boots etc, also Out Run on the same system which i thought back then was arcade perfect (looking back now it wasnt quite).

Streetfighter on the SNES, again at the time i thought it was arcade perfect.

The main one for me though was first playing Resident Evil on the PS1 hooked up through my old dolby digital stereo in my bedroom with the lights off, it was just such a great atmospheric game at the time and it was tense going through every door, infact it was such a relief when you went through a door and you heard the peaceful music of the medical room.

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    1) Surely everyone remembers the bit when Lara runs into that ENORMOUS amphitheatre in Tomb Raider. The feeling of massive expanse was quite something.

2) Oh, and the T-rex too!!

3) Spending most of the time playing FF7 with my jaw on the floor :eek: Just amazing......

4) Wipeout - Ladies & gents, the future has arrived!

5) Most of Super Probotector!!

6) First time you encounter the Special Opps enemies in Half-Life! (BTW, that game changed everything. Without it there'd be no Counter Strike or Halo :lesson: ).

7) And of course, the Omaha Beach landing in Medal of Honour - in DD5.1 - at full blast. Absolutely breathtaking.

DT

9. saibot

saibot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    back through the years:

boulderdash on the Atari 2600
    Turrican on the C64
    Turrican II on the C64
    Street Fighter on the SNES
    Mario Kart on N64
    Super Smash brother's Melee on Cube
    Halo on Xbox,

possibly next week Halo-2 on Xbox :)

10. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing T Rex on 3D monster maze on the ZX 81

11. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Space Harrier when it came out in the arcades.

Dave.

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i think the first thing that amazed me in a game was the CGI in oddworld: abe's oddysee on the Playstation, and the way the game would seamlessly turn from CGI to game. fantastic :D

Also the amazingly huge cathedrals and structures in Soul Reaver also on the Playstation, and the way they warped into other shapes when you entered the spectral realm :D

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Getting away from specific games, I think the moments in gaming through the ages that made me think "WOW" the most were :-

1) Playing on my first computer - Dragon 32, realising that I could actually control things that were happening on my TV set!

2) The golden age of gaming in the arcades - games like Star Wars, Gauntlet, Double Dragon, Outrun, Afterburner, Galaxy Force 2, Power Drift! All impressed me loads and became permanently etched in my mind!

3) Getting my CBM Amiga - Amazing graphics and sound, a real step forward!

3) Getting my Import Megadrive - noone else had one and it was basically a home arcade machine in it's day!

4) My 486 PC - Games like Doom & Duke Nukem really set the platform alight as a next generation gaming paltform.

5) PS1 - The star of the 32 bit age - took gaming on to the next level with some really awe inspiring titles -like wipeout, Tekken, Tombraider, Ridge Racer & later Gran Turismo.

6) Playing on my Dreamcast for the 1st time after queing up at midnight on launch day to get it! Another huge step forward in gaming technology over the 32/64 bit machines!

14. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. The Last Ninja on C64 and Stunt Car Racer/Rob Hubbards music on Amiga. Stunt Car was the first game that made me move to turn with the corners.

Oh, and the days of when a soccer game could actually last 90 minutes... :eek:

15. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Ah, Dragon 32's - my first computer.

We all gathered round the TV at Christmas (1982 ?) while we started it up and felt like we were at the height of technology. The green screen loveliness of it and the blinking cursor, just had to do it...

10 Print "I am great"
    20 Goto 10
    Run

The things they taught you in Computer Studies at school - skills for life :rolleyes:

Of course, the main reason was the games (and to help with school work :laugh: of course).

My favourite moment was when the Microdeal loading screen came up - with Cuthbert. You knew you were only 10 minutes away from gaming heaven. And the Microdeal advertisments (still remember they were based in Truro), games for £6,99.

Ah memories...

16. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    the game that sticks in my mind was the first time playing resident evil on ps1 I was 10. also tomb radar. oh and the first ps1 game I played tekken which at the time when was unreal. also for the pc command and conquer. and another game for pc was priveteer 2 the darkning. also lighthouse and myst. actually there are loads :laugh: but 1995-1997 was the period when games took on a huge change.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Sounds exactly the same as my experiences :) . I remember playing classics like Meteoroids, Berzerk, Wizard Wars and various text based adventures like Calaxto Island and the Madness & the Minotaur. I was amazed by it when I first saw it running - the print & goto 10 thing provided much amusement and even the most basic games were outstanding fun!

Really we were so lucky to be around at the birth of home video games, to witness the birth of a new media form.

18. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Oh dear.......Ermmmmmmmmm this may sound sad..........

Binatone console shooting the white cursor bouncing off the screen - VERY first home entertainment.........

Using a cartridge NOT tape on a Vic20 and it loading immediately

Seeing Leaderboard on CBM64 - First 3D game ever even though the courses were on little islands between TONS of water.

Staff of Karnath - OMH Ultimate release something that's not for the spectrum

C64 - Music and Hardware Sprites - why doesn't it clash like my mates Speccy :thumbsup:

Atari ST/Amiga - WooHoo Disk Drives..........

Wolfenstein - S**T that made me jump.......

Resident Evil - So did that............

And being Devils Advocate :devil: Halo? Impressive? Ever? ermmmmm no. Guess that's what happens after seeing so many PC 3D accelerated games, Playstation and so on. It had moved on *slightly* but by this point the wow factor kinda disappeared.........

19. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Totally agree :)

20. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Most awe inspiring moments for me.....

1. Playing midnight resistance in the arcade at the local bowling alley
    then going round to my mates house a few weeks later to see he was playing it on his AtariST :eek: i realy s :censored: d myself when i saw that.

2. Getting hold of a promo video of the making of donkey kong country (snes) some 3 to 5 months before the game was released
    then getting to the end of the film where it said it was going to be released on my 15 birthday. 18th november. i had cold sweats when that flashed on the screen.

3. My sisters boyfriend worked at Game and got a hold of a copy of Donkey kong in october before the release, he gave me it for £15, that day i was 8 years old again running and jumping about the house, i was that shocked it must have been 2 hours before i actualy put the damn thing in the snes !

there was a few awe inspiring moments with my cpc464 but probably not worth mentioning here as most of you had speccy's :p

21. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    So many fond memories:
    1: flashback on the megadrive, the way Conrad moved was unbelievable. It looked 'real'. A defining point in my gaming history, and i still flick on the megadrive to play it now.

2: Seeing the intro to 'Kileak the blood' on PS1. First game i ever played on playstation and the graphics were cool.

3: The intro to G-police on the playstation. This was so damn good it could have been a movie, even the story and acting seemed amasing. I used put that game on just to watch the 10 minute or so intro then turn it off again!

4: Resident Evil. A defining point in gaming as far as i'm concerend, ok the acting sucked, but the game was massive, seemed to go on forever, scared the crap out of you, and just plain ruled.

5: Tomb Raider 1. It was a big game and if felt big aswell the immense scale was breathtaking on some levels. Completing it 3 times was a bonus, and now i have it on my pocket pc :)

6: Failing to complete tomb raider 3, stuck on 1 boss. sold the game. never forgive myself for not seeing the ending. :(

7: teenage mutant ninja turtles on the NES. so cool, the music and graphics were cool, but i never finished the last level to see the ending. Have it on emulator for DC now though, so i may still see it yet!

Also, tekken 1, grant turismo 1, bomb on the amiga, probotector on nes, mortal kombat on mega drive, the list is endless....

22. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    when the dog comes through the window in resident evil / the huuuuggee drops in wipeout / knight lore on the amstrad / head over heels on the amstrad / the guitar on the death screen on shadow of the beast 2 / the intro for killing game show / sensible world of soccer.

23. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Jesus, that was an awesome, awesome game. One of the most under-rated and sublime 32 bit games I've ever played. A forgotten gem of the Playstation era. Absolutely stunning in every regard.

Shame the sequel was so disappointing :(

DT

24. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Another World (PC) - Well impressed with the intro only to find the game being even better

Monkey Island 1 & 2 (Amiga) - Laughed till milk came out of my nose :)

Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Amazing Images from the old grey box with a great game to boot

Super Mario 64 (N64) - Playing with mario's face for 10 minutes before even playing :)

Zelda: OOT (N64) - First boss Ghoma, then a great intro to the story.

not a lot since then :(

25. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Playing Vroom on the Atari ST - bloody hell that was fast :eek:

Seeing Doom for the first time. Bring spare underwear. Far more scary on PC Speaker but looks like a cartoon now :)

Playing Quake on the internet for the first time. I hated the one player game though.

26. danprice

danprice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can't believe more people haven't mentioned Zelda:OoT. The first time you step out on to Hyrule field - jaw dropping, just the amazing sense of freedom. Still think that has to be the best game ever made. I played that non stop till I completed it, I even started to dream about it at night!

Apart from the above I remember seeing ISS 64 in my local HMV and knowing I needed a N64 immediately. It was just the little touches, like star player likenesses and the way your player got the ball out of the net (after scoring) if you were after a late equalizer instead of celebrating.

On top of that I've got great memories of 2 player NHL 93 on the Megadrive (the best sports game for its era ever??), Streets of Rage 2 on the Megadrive and my first taste of Champ Man 2 on the PC.

Oh and someone mentioned earlier the intro to Mech Warrior on the PC. I remember watching that on a PC Format Demo CD over and over again.

27. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    The bit when you cut the cable in Halo2.

28. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah - funny how you can cut though 3 feet of hardened titanium cable with 3 swipes of a plasma blade, but it takes 5 swipes to kill a hunter!!

That station falls for a looooooonnnnnnggggg time, doesn't it? I wonder if it ever hit the ground?

29. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Another awe-inspiring moment - the whole of Half Life 2.

I raises the (crow)bar massively in terms of graphics, game play, tension, everything.

Doom 3 - who?

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    hehe you had the same idea as me! THE most awe inspiring moment i've had probably since I first played a video game is playing Half Life 2. Words fail me and I keep having to pick my jaw up off the floor! The endless ways that you can tackle a problem, the grav gun and just the fact that you really do keep forgetting that you're playing a game! To put in into perspective - I love Halo2, especially on Multi player but I simply can't drag myself away from Half Life 2 to turn on the xbox at the moment! Halo 2 makes many other games look pretty rubbish, yet HL2 is another league above again!!

HL2 isn't just a game, it's a work of art! Everything you do in the game just brings a smile to your face! This is what video gaming is all about. I don't often rave about games to this extent but seriously this is a game everyone should play!