Most Anticipated 2022 Movies

Drax1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
It's never too early to look forward to next year's movie crop, and there's certainly quite a varied mix ahead of us for 2022. Aside from the usual big franchises, there's plenty to get excited about. From Adrian Lyne's Deep Water to Robert Eggers' Viking epic The Northman, Gareth Evans' new cop thriller Havoc starring Tom Hardy, Baz Luhrmann's Elvis Biopic, Mega budget spy flicks The Gray Man and Argylle, Alexander Payne's The Holdovers, The Son which boasts Hugh Jackman, Vanessa Kirby AND Anthony Hopkins, Martin Scorsese's Killers Of The Flower Moon and Jordan Peele's return with Nope.
What are you guys looking forward to? Any glaring omissions?

My Top Ten Must Sees -

1) The Batman
- very high hopes for this.
2)Creed III - not sure we need it, but I've loved the last two.
3)Havoc - Gareth Evans + Tom Hardy = Win.
4)Doctor Strange And The Multiverse Of Madness - could be an MCU dream.
5)The Gray Man - a big franchise starter?
6)The Flash - Dark Knight x 2 is the big draw.
7)The Northman - who doesn't love a Viking flick?!
8)Top Gun : Maverick - no more delays PLEASE!
9)Bullet Train - big cast, and hopefully bigger action.
10) Jurassic World : Dominion - the original players are back!

Most definitely on the to-do list -

Scream 5, Cha Cha Real Smooth, All The Old Knives, Master Gardener, Luther Movie, Nope, Avatar 2, Mission Impossible 7, Killers Of the Flower Moon, Argyll, Samaritan, Guardians Of The Galaxy Holiday Special, Deep Water, Sniff, Thor : Love And Thunder, The Outfit, Playground, The Holdovers, Knives Out 2, Poker Face, Ray Donovan Movie, The Marsh King's Daughter, The Black Phone, Escape From Spiderhead, Wash Me In The River, Pixar's Turning Red, Extraction 2, Salem's Lot, Black Panther : Wakanda Forever, The Son, Walking Dead Movie.

I'll be waiting on the reviews first -

Halloween Ends, Elvis, Unwelcome, Spaceman, 65, Canterbury Glass, Morbius, Lost City Of D, Skull (Predator 5), Babylon, Ambulance, Moonfall, Bee Gees Biopic, The Mother, Death On The Nile, Monkey Man, Violence Of Action, Black Adam, Cocaine Bear, Chase, Medieval, Lightyear, Confess Fletch, Spiderman : Into The Spiderverse 2, Dont' Worry Darling, The Man From Toronto, The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent, Operation Mincemeat, Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom, Thirteen Lives, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Assassin Club, Hit The Road, The Division, Alice, Darling

Won't be bothering with -

Uncharted, The 355, John Wick : Chapter 4, Disenchanted, Transformers : Rise Of The Beasts, Fantastic Beasts 3, Legally Blonde 3, Shotgun Wedding

Last edited:
I hope they get The Gray Man right. Books are good.
I know little about it other than I enjoy the genre and the killer pairing of Ryan Gosling Vs Chris Evans. Sounds like a winner to me. Feels a little odd to be ranking a Netflix exclusive so high, but these are ever changing times...Might have a crack at the books Jim.

Top Gun: Maverick
Most of your top ten must see list
John Wick 4!

Top Gun: Maverick
Most of your top ten must see list
John Wick 4!
I can see Top Gun 2 being the cinematic highpoint of 2022 for a lot on here. Fingers crossed it works. Love the visuals director Joseph Kosinski brought to Tron : Legacy and Oblivion, so it should at least look fantastic. Enjoyed the hell out of John Wick, but the second not so much. I felt the wheels had royally fallen off by the thiird, so I just can't get onboard with Chapter 4. Shame, as I enjoy Reeves'work normally.

Top Gun: Maverick at no.8!!

CarelessSkeletalAdeliepenguin-size_restricted.gif

If they show ....

Polaris - Lynne Ramsay

The Northman - Robert Eggers

The Way of the Wind - Terence Malick

Baby, Box, Broker - Hirokazu Kore-eda

The Killer - David Fincher

Poor Things - Yorgos Lanthimos

The Whale/ Adrift - Darren Aronofsky

Crimes of the Future - David Cronenberg

Megalopolis - F F Coppola

Decision to Leave - Park Chan-wook

Neck - Takeshi Kitano

Disappointment Blvd. - Ari Aster

I can see Top Gun 2 being the cinematic highpoint of 2022 for a lot on here. Fingers crossed it works. Love the visuals director Joseph Kosinski brought to Tron : Legacy and Oblivion, so it should at least look fantastic. Enjoyed the hell out of John Wick, but the second not so much. I felt the wheels had royally fallen off by the thiird, so I just can't get onboard with Chapter 4. Shame, as I enjoy Reeves'work normally.

I have a love/hate relationship with John Wick. Loved the first. Didn’t get on with 2 in the cinema but like it a lot more on recent viewings. Third is really good in places but quite silly in others - very uneven. That said, I’m intrigued as to what happens next and the cast is ridiculous - particularly the inclusion of one of my fave action stars Donnie Yen.

The Batman is definitely right up there - one of the best trailers I’ve seen for a while.

Mission Impossible 7 if it comes out 2022. Last one was great.

If they show ....

Polaris - Lynne Ramsay

Neck - Takeshi Kitano

That is a thrilling directorial line up. Wow. I know nothing about any of those projects though, except for The Northman.

That is a thrilling directorial line up. Wow. I know nothing about any of those projects though, except for The Northman.

I’ve heard of Fincher’s The Killer. The Whale sounds interesting and could do for Brendan Fraser (who I felt disappeared after the last Mummu film) what Aronofsky did for Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler.

Loads of good films in there, just hoping most are actually enjoyable. If we do get a handful of decent film then 2022 could be one of the best movie years we've had since early 00's.

If they show ....

Polaris - Lynne Ramsay

Neck - Takeshi Kitano

Nice list. I'd forgotten about Fincher's new take on The Killer. Michael Fassbender is an interesting choice for the lead.

I’ve heard of Fincher’s The Killer. The Whale sounds interesting and could do for Brendan Fraser (who I felt disappeared after the last Mummu film) what Aronofsky did for Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler.
Fraser is steadily making a comeback of sorts. He appeared in this year's No Sudden Move (which is on my to-do list) , has the aforementioned The Whale coming up, but also Scorsese's Killers Of The Flower Moon.

I have a love/hate relationship with John Wick. Loved the first. Didn’t get on with 2 in the cinema but like it a lot more on recent viewings. Third is really good in places but quite silly in others - very uneven. That said, I’m intrigued as to what happens next and the cast is ridiculous - particularly the inclusion of one of my fave action stars Donnie Yen.
Maybe I should give the third another go. I don't think that it helped I was expecting (and hoping for) a trilogy capper, then it just left things wide open for the next instalment, as well as a fifth coming too! As you say Bruce, that cast is very impressive for Chapter 4, so they'll be plenty of folks happy with at least some elements of it.

No Sudden Move was okay, Fraser was just a glorified extra to be honest.

I think my hype for The Batman is reaching uncharted levels (no pun intended there with Uncharted :D )

John Wick 4 simply for the legend that is Donnie Yen.

2022 looks like being the comeback year post-Covid.

Top Gun: Maverick at no.8!!

View attachment 1593134
Sorry about that Rich! I'm very much looking forward to what a modern take looks like, but only enjoyed, rather than loved the original. It should pack Imax cinemas out, and is still a priority, and worthy of trip on your hype train. Maybe it's the multiple delays that have left me feeling a little all over the place.

Last edited:
Fraser is steadily making a comeback of sorts. He appeared in this year's No Sudden Move (which is on my to-do list) , has the aforementioned The Whale coming up, but also Scorsese's Killers Of The Flower Moon.

He’s had his problems with weight gain amongst other things, but he’s not a bad actor despite being more known for The Mummy and George of the Jungle. He’s done some good dramatic work in films like Gods and Monsters, Crash and The Passion of Darkly Noon.

I know little about it other than I enjoy the genre and the killer pairing of Ryan Gosling Vs Chris Evans. Sounds like a winner to me. Feels a little odd to be ranking a Netflix exclusive so high, but these are ever changing times...Might have a crack at the books Jim.
Yeah Gosling is perfect casting for the lead in this. He's the usual ex Special Forces type but he's not invincible by any means. I don't bother with Netflix normally but I might get it for a month just for this to be honest.

Regardless of my trepidation of Chapter 4, it seems Mr Reeves is one top dude -

Yeah Gosling is perfect casting for the lead in this. He's the usual ex Special Forces type but he's not invincible by any means. I don't bother with Netflix normally but I might get it for a month just for this to be honest.
I'm temped to move The Gray Man up a place or so on my list, having just read that the lovely Ana de Amas is part of the cast.

I've just added 'All The Old Knives' to the list. It wrapped in March of this year, so we should see it early 2022 I'd imagine. I read the novel recently, and whilst I'm not too sure of Chris Pine's casting (needs someone with more advanced years), It'll be interesting to see how it translates to screen.

Not sure when the hell this will appear (I had it on last year's list too!), but I've just added the Walking Dead Movie in the vain hope we might get it by the end of next year...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom