1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most affordable HD Ready PJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mrbcool, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mrbcool

mrbcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the most affordable entry level HD Ready Projector?
    One that does 1080i and 720p and will run Sky HD, Xbox 360 and HD-DVD and BlueRay without down scaling.

2. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Probably the new Sony VPL-VW100. It's due out in November and the US price is expected to be about $10,000. Whether that is affordable depends on you. I don't know of any other native 1080 projectors that cost under 10K. Most are several times that.

3. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Depends whether your mean HD native or HD ready.

Many projectors are HD ready: i.e. they will accept a HD signal and scale it to their (lower) resolution.

Most recent LCD video projectors are native HD (720p) and will also scale down a 1080i signal too.

4. mrbcool

mrbcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah right, I think I need a 720 one then, i.e the Sanyo Z3.

5. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi

Yeah if you're looking at affordable (around the 1000 quid mark) then look at getting hold of the (rapidly vanishing) Z3 and aE700, or even better their new versions (I believe that Komplett is quoting about 1300 for the AE900)

The xbox 360 will be 720p, most likely that will also be the primary format of SkyHD. The PS3 will be capable of 1080p but this is almost certainly Sony marketing BS, the graphics card inside the 360 is easily capable of 1080 resolutions, but MS has chosen to cap the machine to dev's at 720p. THe upcoming consoles may be fast but neither is likely to enjoy the HUGE performance hit that will be associated with it.

If your idea of reasonable is not the same as mine you could purchase something along the lines of the new Fujitsu D711 at about 17K which will give you the full 1920X1080, but frankly, what will you be watching on it for the next few years?

hope some of that made sense :)

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    If you can still find the Z3 for sub £800 that's a good buy. IMHO if the AE700 or the Hitachi PJTX100 (yes, that is a very viable alternative to the AE700 / Z3) are still around the £1K mark it would be folly not to spend an extra couple of hundred quid on the Z4 / AE900 / TX200 / TW600...PJ

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just want to add to this post to clarify some terminology.:hiya:

Ive never heard the term HD native used but i see what you mean a display which has a native res which is either 720 or 1080. This is in fact "HD Ready" which is what the Z3 is. HD Ready is an industry standard which requires a minimum spec of 720p in order to use that logo.

All display devices are HD compatible however in the sense that even a portable telly will display a HD feed (although not at HD!) - this is what you describe as HD Ready but it isn't:oops: