Quantcast

Mossym's Home cinema.

mossym

Distinguished Member
Pics updated Dec 24th 2012 - See Post 165 for new updates

The below is from the first incarnation of the room:

So, i started this thread in the DIY section, but in fairness there wasn't as much DIY as some of the projects going on in there. As it is close to being finished i thought i'd put it in here. We moved into our new house in Ireland about 6 months ago. We'd moved back from the USA a year before and were waiting for the house to be built. This room was one of the last to be done, for obvious reasons ( i would have done nothing else!!)

anyway, some of my gear is american, some bought here. anyway, the pics tell the story better than i can. The room is 4.7m*7.1m not counting the bay window. first of all, speaker cables.

i decided against running speaker cables in wall, decided i had more flexibility that way. got a load of trunking, some junction boxes, and some blank face plates. bought some binding posts off farnell and made up my own plates. ran the trunking alone the walls, junction boxes and face plates whereever i need a speaker for now, nice thing about this is it is all screwed on and i can change speaker positions whenever i want.

first pic is me painting the trunking to the same colors as the walls. the rest are pretty straight forward i think.

Attachments

Last edited:

mossym

Distinguished Member
next thing, the projector. i had the sparky run a hdmi, component and vga up from beneath where the screen will be to the mounting point, and put in a solid piece of wood to mount the proj to. i settled on the panny ATX100E, would have liked the 1000, but reckon i'll give the 1080p another year or two. We have all the projectors where i work, the sanyo, infocus, and i prefer the picture from the panny, anyway, here it is. i know i know the cables need tidying...

Attachments

mossym

Distinguished Member
next up was the screen. i had chosen a differnt one i could source in europe, but thanks to some posts on here, and the fact that i had a friend moving home from the usa with a big continaer, i eventually went for a carada screen. have to say i couldn't be happier with the choice, i love it. screen is 110" permenant fixed screen mounted along the short wall. voila la pics.first pic is it assembled but not mounted, second and third pic is it on the wall and me giving it a little test run.:)

sorry, third pic is it not mounted..:)

Attachments

mossym

Distinguished Member
obviously in these pictures i have no carpet. that was an ordeal in itself, but it is eventually in. then began the process of running the speaker cables around the room and hooking up the speakers. rear speakers are a bit low for now, but i'll be upgrading these anyway and will mount them up near the ceiling.

surrounds and rears are running on Van Damme 2.5mm2 cable. mains and center are running Belden 12 guage from www.bluejeanscable.co.uk.

Attachments

mossym

Distinguished Member
furniture takes the form of 2 leather recliners and a 3 seater couch. These recliners have to be the most comfortable thing i have ever sat in, my big problem is staying awake for movies. Equipment rack now is standard ikea fare, but we have new furniture for this room ordered, should be here next week. it'll be a new av rack, table, and glass display cabinet for the dvd collection.

but for now

Attachments

mossym

Distinguished Member
from the last post, the equipment is pretty obvious:

Denon AVR3803 - (hopefully to be replaced with a 3808 at xmas!!)
Xbox360 with HD-DVD drive add on.
Sky Box( perhaps Sky HD next year)
HTPC which does all my dvd playing, music and video streaming

main speakers are B&w 603 S2's, centre is a LCR600. sides and surround are polks for now, but i wanted to wait to get those to decide on dipoles or not, so they will be matched up as b&w soon as well.

but, quiz time, slap on the back for anyone that can recognise the sub...

Attachments

mossym

Distinguished Member
and for now, it all in action. no prizes for guessing the material, any movie shots are hddvd..any bluriness is from my poor camera skills...

Attachments

mossym

Distinguished Member
so that's all i have for now, i have some improvemnets to make, some thinks to tidy up, and will update as i go along, but for now it is fully utilizable as a HC, and i am over the moon with it...

all comments, questions suggestions welcome...

Attachments

mossym

Distinguished Member
was considering moving them in alright. it would mean moving the sub into the corner though and i was worrying about that becoming too boomy. will try switching it around and seeing how it works.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Nice work.:smashin:

I would agree with the above though. There is such a thing as too far apart and there certainly is such a thing as too close to the corners.

Move the sub directly under the right hand side of and the speakers to just outside of, the screen.

Did I mention that you have a fantastic screen? Pure quality.;)

Russell

mossym

Distinguished Member
cheers Russ, will try that today. i see you have impeccable taste in a screen as well.:)

mossym

Distinguished Member
cheers.

New furniture should be arriving tomorrow, including the new av rack. will be tidying up all those cables then and will post some better pictures.

mossym

Distinguished Member
new furniture is here...loving my new rack . as soon as i get a dvb-s2 card for my htpc i'll be losing the sky box and will have an empty shelf....blu-ray player?:devil:

my new dvd rack is probably a bit over the top, the wife thought she was putting ornaments in it...in a dedicated home cinema room? no way!!:)there is another box of dvd's to go in there somehow. i think i might need another rack.:)

anyway, next step is the pictures on the wall. I'm very interested in WW2, so there is a bit of a theme in the stuff i have ordered, need to get it framed first, but will psot pictures as soon as they are ready.

Attachments

THE_FORCE

Distinguished Member
Lookin good there Mossy, and bless the wife for putting the ornaments in lol. A blu-ray player would finish that off nicely mate - maybe a xmas pressie to yourself?;)

I like the way you've texturized all your pics too!(was that intentional?)

mossym

Distinguished Member
Lookin good there Mossy, and bless the wife for putting the ornaments in lol. A blu-ray player would finish that off nicely mate - maybe a xmas pressie to yourself?;)

I like the way you've texturized all your pics too!(was that intentional?)
nope, have this automated tool for resizing the pics for uploading, it seems that is an unplanned side effect!!

mossym

Distinguished Member
Did you use any sort of primer before painting the skirting, or did you just slap it straight on?
gave it a good sand first so that the paint would take, worked just as well as a primer. ran my electric sander along them first, then gave them a couple of coats and they were fine.

G

Gordie

Hi Mossy

Very nice indeed. Love the colour of the screen wall and also the furniture. :thumbsup:

mossym

Distinguished Member
Hi Mossy

Very nice indeed. Love the colour of the screen wall and also the furniture. :thumbsup:
thanks for that, was unsure about the dark wall when it went up first, but loving it now...