Moss prevention roof treatments - worth it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fizzi, Feb 7, 2009.

1. fizzi

fizzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm having a small roof repair soon but my roof has a bad moss problem in some parts of it including the gulleys. I'm always sweeping clumps up that have fallen off.

There are various moss treatments that can be put on the roof - one company gives a 15 year gurantee = which sounds good.

Has anyone had it done?

Was it worth it?

Should I just get the moss clean off and leave the roof untreated?

2. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i'm certain I heard somewhere that you can use copper to kill moss on a roof. You attach some copper somehow high on the roof and as the rainwater runs over the copper some chemical is released from the copper (does copper dissolve a bit?) and this is enough to kill moss further down the roof.

Haven't got a clue where I heard this but could be worth investigating:)

3. RichardK

RichardK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Don't know where you heard it, but the FAQ on http://www.nfrc.co.uk also gives that advice. Here are some other moss related points:

There is moss on my roof and I have been told this needs to be cleaned or jet-washed off, is this correct?
    No, not unless the moss is blocking outlets where water needs to drain away or the roof is actually leaking. You will probebly cause water penetration by the pressure jet as well as damage by walking on the roof because any jet of water must be directed down the slope not up. Fitting a copper wire across the ridge will help prevent moss growth.- To be done by a roofing contractor

Should I use a sealer on my roof to prevent moss growth?
    Assuming we are talking about a slate or tiled roof the answer is no. Applying anything to such materials will affect the product warranty.

What damage can moss on roofs cause?
    Mosses are small, soft plants that commonly grow close together in clumps or mats in damp or shady locations. It appears on those parts of the roof which are normally wetter (i.e. eaves, valleys, gutters) and/or on materials which may have become porous on the surface. If moss is blocking the drainage path of the rainwater at gutters, outlets and such then it is wise to remove it to prevent water backing up into the roof. If the moss is on the slates/tiles there is little need or point in removing it unless the intention is to renew the roof covering or the roof is leaking.

What causes green moss on roof tiles?
    Mosses are small, soft plants that commonly grow close together in clumps or mats in damp or shady locations. It appears on those parts of the roof which are normally wetter (i.e. eaves, valleys, gutters) and/or on materials which may have become porous on the surface. If moss is blocking the drainage path of the rainwater at gutters, outlets and such then it is wise to remove it to prevent water backing up into the roof. If the moss is on the slates/tiles there is little need or point in removing it unless the intention is to renew the roof covering or the roof is leaking.

4. Surfer01

Surfer01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Old thread I know but we have a problem with moss on a roof that is expsoed to light 365 days a year. The annoying part is that the moss keeps falling off unexpectedly from time to time. no fun having a large clump suddenly appear on your BBQ.
    As the roof is exposed with no shade on it all day every day, we were wondering why there should be moss growth. Any ideas?

5. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Are you sure the moss that appears on your BBQ is coming from the roof itself?
    Makes no sense that a light, dry roof has moss.:confused:
    Moss likes damp and dark.
    You sure it's not birds dropping/scraping lumps of moss out of the gutters?
    They do that to look for grubs underneath.
    My driveway and cars used to be a right mess, until I cleaned the gutters out and denied birds the opportunity.

6. Surfer01

Surfer01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    We live in a bungalow and you can see the clumps of moss on the roof quite easily. More so on the east facing roof than the west roof.

7. Surfer01

Surfer01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have since found out that a copper strip on the apex of the roof is the best bet to stop moss growing.