Mosquitoes

Anyone else being bitten like every day! I have had knats, mossies and the dreaded Blandford Fly which really swells up and hurts.

Just look at my arm lol.

Attachments

simon ess

It's been an amazing year for insects. The biters as well.

Your arm looks like my hand did a couple of days ago. Horse flies.

What's a Blandford fly? I've not heard of that before.

nonumb

Had some crazy bites this year some crazy swelling similar to what I had in South America. Not quite as bad as yours but similar. Never swollen up this bad in the UK, usually hardly anything.

Trollslayer said:
Eek! It's a kind of black fly! In Canada black fly have been known to kill.
That's the other name for it, Blandford Is local to where I live - they are very small n black and vicious! When u tell someone you got bitten by one, they automatically feel for you lol

zed4

dudeness said:
That's the other name for it, Blandford Is local to where I live - they are very small n black and vicious! When u tell someone you got bitten by one, they automatically feel for you lol
Yep, used to get bitten loads when wakeboarding out in Poole Harbour. There's loads round there in the nature reserves.

You're arm looks awful!

I've also heard that Avon moisturiser is really good at repelling biters. Wasn't intentional, just coincidence apparently!

Am I alone in thinking your arm actually looks like a leg?

:)

We have been sleeping with the windows open of late and my wife got bitten on an exposed part of her upper breast. The bite area went quite red and it looks as though there might have been a slight allergic response.

We are treating it with lots of my kisses and some Antihistamine Cream from the chemists. I am also keeping my eye on it.

zed4

Begonia said:
Am I alone in thinking your arm actually looks like a leg?

We have been sleeping with the windows open of late and my wife got bitten on an exposed part of her upper breast. The bite area went quite red and it looks as though there might have been a slight allergic response.

We are treating it with lots of my kisses and some Antihistamine Cream from the chemists. I am also keeping my eye on it.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Saw a mozzie yesterday that was the size of a wasp! :eek: Must be all the wet weather we've had and now the heat just makes it ideal for them.

kav

Distinguished Member
I read an interesting thing in Longleat a couple of weeks ago - mosquitoes have killed more than half of all the people who have ever lived. :eek:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Had several bites this year, mostly when i'm out biking/walking but also in the back garden.

Some of the reactions to them are getting nearly as bad as what I got when bitten out in Asia (Where half your arm/leg goes red).

Read an article somewhere last year which said the Mosquito numbers in the UK were booming. Due to the change (hot/wet) in climate over the years.

I thought a hot costal destination would be free of mossys...Wrong!

:suicide:

Was on Tioman Island (Tropical Island in Malaysia) earlier this year. Very hot, beach location, backed by jungle. Worst ever experience for Mossies/Sand flys. Never again.

liamt

ive had a few. ive got a beauty of a bite on my leg from something. get the insect repellent stuff. worked a treat in Kenya for me, which was good as i stopped the malaria meds as it made me have horrific dreams and feel crap. some of the other people were bitten alive.

RugbyAl

When I went to Cuba on hols, I found that the locals rub a piece of lime/lemon on their skin to keep the mozzies away. A good alternative is to use a citrusy shower gel - worked for us.

Went down to the Poole area at the weekend (past Blandford) and the wife got badly bitten in several places - came up in nasty/itchy lumps as well. I had a bite (as did my 4 yr old) but we never reacted any where as bad as that.

Seems to me that women tend to get bitten more and get worse reactions than men?

Duncan G

I used Ajax powder as a kid to stop the bites itching. I would sprinkle a bit on the bite and the itching stopped. I still have no idea why it worked. I found this cure when using the Ajax cleaning the sink and realised the mozzie bites had stopped itching.

liamt

I used Ajax powder as a kid to stop the bites itching. I would sprinkle a bit on the bite and the itching stopped. I still have no idea why it worked. I found this cure when using the Ajax cleaning the sink and realised the mozzie bites had stopped itching.
really? you probably burnt the area and did more damage. i wouldnt recommend this folks!

simon ess

Home remedies for itching include:

Soap

Toothpaste

Baking powder mixed with a little water.

The inside of fresh banana peel.

They're the ones I know of. Must be others.