Mosaic V Kamelion V Harmony

Artie Fufkin

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I see not many mentions of the Mosaic on this forum. At £50 from RS it seems a good buy, but the lack of comment here suggests it's not popular. Why would that be?

I'm actually looking for a remote that will let me ditch my originals for good. I've been using an old OFA 5 for a few years, but I've always needed to keep the original remotes nearby to be able to access some features which to OFA wouldn't learn.

Now I've got myself a Tosh RD-XS 32 HDD/DVD recorder and would love to get a remote which will easily control *everything* the original will, sub menus and all. Will any of the above 3 which I mentioned do this?

My other kit includes:
Sony STR DB 940 cinema amp
Nokia Mediamaster On Digital (freeview) box
Akai video
Philips 48 UP 91 rear projection TV

If I can get away with spending £50 pounds instead of £100, that would be nice.

Thanks for any advice.

I believe all of the controls you have mentioned will be suitable for your purpose. I guess it comes down to what you are willing to spend (££s) and how much time you are willing to use setting it up.

My interpretation of how much time they take to set up is shown below:

Kameleon < Mosaic < Harmony

(Bear in mind that a using a Harmony would require connecting it to a PC to set it up.)

I have a Kameleon 6 and am very happy with its perfromance. I've set it up so that it will do everything the original remotes can, plus a few extra functions that the originals can't.

There have been a number of threads within this forum over the last few months discussing the benefits/shortfalls of the Kameleon and Harmony controls (not so much about the Mosaic) - probably worth a browse to get some info.

mate has a mosaic great bug chunky plasyicy Pronto wannabe..........Kameleon horrid touch screen limited macros and i hate programming them.... HARMONY is a dream fully automated and more intelligent than Macro (remebers current state of kit that Marcos cant) easy peasy to programme VIA web and easy to use..the Watch TV button is a dream for none technical users.......

We are all different, and I can tell you that by far the best remote I've had is the the Mosaic..

I've had a pronto, I've tried using my PDA, but the screens where just too small, and fiddly.. (if you go for bigger buttons, then you can't fit many on each page)..

The Mosaic was difficult to setup, but it has completely replaced every remote I have, including SKY+..

The backlight at first seemed too weak.. but when the lights are dimmed, its perfect..

You really want to get the rechargeable cradle (£20?? from RS) as well, as this is really convenient..

I'd give setup 5/10, but once done, using it, I'd give it 10/10..

Shame they never finished the PC software, which would have simplified the setup..

The strenghts of it are
1. Big screen - plenty of buttons can be displayed.
2. Very customisable - rename all button labels to meaningful names
3. Easy upgrade of devices using a PC speaker..
4. range is excellent
5. Truly configurable enough to replace all your devices
6. THEATRE mode allows easy configuration if you have an AV Amp, but want to still control your TV/DVD etc..

weaknesses
1. Setup could be better - simple stuff is easy, but getting those last few buttons for not so obviousfunctions can mean some messing around
2. Occasionally will lock up, but just remove the battery/reinsert, and it carries on where it left off

Well, that's what I get - ask for advice regarding 3 devices and I get 3 different opinions. :rolleyes:
All helpful in their own ways though.

I think what might sway me is the touch screen aspect. I've never used one, but I really am not sure if I would like it. It must be more intuitive, easier and quicker to have real buttons. Or not?

I'm not sure I was pointing you in any particular direction, rather advising you to search through the forum and make your own mind up from the information that you find. Hornydragon, however, was somewhat more zealous in his reply. :D

Just thought that I would give my five penny's worth.

I have looked at the Mosaic in the past and whatever it's virtues, I could not live with the wide shape and the touch screen (same for the Pronto). These are purely personal dislikes and in no way a comment on it's functionality.

The ZEALOT in me would say that the Harmony is the best choice, but the realist in me would say that all would do the job at the end of the day given the appropriate amount of setting up. What is important though, is how they function as an everyday remote once set up and how that suits you and anyone else that will use it.

You can only try them out and take them back if they don't suit.

Try the Harmony first though. :D (Sorry Greenbars, I couldn't help myself ;) )

Good to see that even Harmony ZEALOTS have a sense of humour!

:smashin:

Touché.

kherm said:
I think what might sway me is the touch screen aspect. I've never used one, but I really am not sure if I would like it. It must be more intuitive, easier and quicker to have real buttons. Or not?

I have the Mosaic and also OFA 6.

I found that for lazy TV watching I still use the hard button, slimmer OFA 6. But for the full DVD-watching-thru-PJ-in-a-darkened-room I use the Mosaic, mainly for the backlighting but also for the configurability, where I have a single page configured to control PJ, Receiver, and DVD player.

kherm said:
I see not many mentions of the Mosaic on this forum. At £50 from RS it seems a good buy, but the lack of comment here suggests it's not popular. Why would that be?

Because it's an old and discontinued product, whereas Kameleon and Harmony are new products.

kherm said:
If I can get away with spending £50 pounds instead of £100, that would be nice.

That was my main consideration in getting the Mosaic over Kameleon. Harmony was not considered because I need to control a Telewest Digital box.

With hindsight I probably would have been disappointed with the Kameleon, with lack of configurable screens etc.

Well, I've made my decision today. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
I've ordered the Harmony direct from Logitech.

What swayed my decision was mainly the touch screen aspect - I would like to be able to operate the remote by feel as much as possible. It must be a more natural, intuitive way of working and I'm sure the darling wife and kids will find the Harmony easy to use too.

There also seem to be some who are not entirely happy with their Kamelion for various reasons, and the Mosaic is too big.

I realise that the Harmony cost £99 but I think I would always be disappointed with either of the other 2 -or at least I might always be thinking "maybe I should have paid more in the first place". Well, I have paid more than I wanted (shhh...don't let 'er indoors find out "How much for a remote??!!") but I have learned from past experience that it is often false, and short-sighted, economy to try and save a bit of money when all you end up with is second best.

I'll let you know my thoughts on the Harmony in due course.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom