Morty's slightly happier now than he was a while ago having received a new PS4 and free game...

morty192

Established Member
Reaction score
Sent my PS4 off to Sony a fortnight ago got a refurb back today...lasted 30mins then randomly shut off and now won't turn back on and all I'm left with is a brick with a blinking blue light and spent 20mins on hold to support without anyone picking up :s :mad:!

Sent my PS4 off to Sony a fortnight ago got a refurb back today...lasted 30mins then randomly shut off and now won't turn back on and all I'm left with is a brick with a blinking blue light and spent 20mins on hold to support without anyone picking up :s :mad:!
20 mins and it's not a cheap number either if I recall correctly!

damn !!! not even a free number ?

That's dreadful.

The only negative surrounding the whole PS4 release seems to be exchanges of consoles and replacement controllers. I know a few people on here have had to send controllers back at their own expense in order to get replacements when the sticks have deteriorated.

Where did you buy your console and how did you pay for it?

If you bought it with a credit card you can write to them and explain the situation and point out to them that they are jointly liable for issues regarding goods and services around items purchased with your card as long as they're over £100. I think many debit cards offer the same cover but it's a bit more of a grey area. Often, the card issuer will issue a refund and then attempt to claim the money back from the retailer.

What I've done before is withold the cost of an item from my card payment that month, even if it's months after I purchased the item. You just tell your card issuer this in writing.

You should not be out of pocket by even a penny so keep a record of all your phone calls and how much they cost. Charge for your time also. If you think your time is worth £10 an hour and you're on the phone for 30 mins, then you charge £5 for that.

A quick search on 'saynoto0870' gives these alternative landline numbers 01635 869500/01923 653598/01923 476426. They go to a switchboard and you ask for customer services.

Fire off an email to [email protected], the customer services director at SCEE. Explain your situation calmly and rationally and how you expect it to be resolved.

Hope this helps? Keep us updated... and try and keep calm. No point letting it make you angry.

Don't be this:
incredible-hulk-lou-ferrigno-WIDE.jpg

be this:
article-0-08648FBF000005DC-917_224x423.jpg

Last edited:
That's dreadful.

If you bought it with a credit card ....

A quick search on 'saynoto0870' gives these alternative landline numbers 01635 869500/01923 653598/01923 476426. They go to a switchboard and you ask for customer services.

Fire off an email to [email protected], the customer services director at SCEE. Explain your situation calmly and rationally and how you expect it to be resolved.

Hope this helps? Keep us updated... and try and keep calm. No point letting it make you angry

Thanks mate will try what has been suggested here:)

UPDATE: Ok so phoned CS again this morning was told it could be another 14days as they don't have a partnership with a courier service for a quicker replacement service? Have people on the internet been lying about their next day replacement then? Also the label he was supposed to email to me has still never arrived.

Have e-mailed the guy listed above and listed my grievances calmly. Sent the e-mail at 10:43 this morning hopefully he replies today :)

Last edited:
Thanks mate will try what has been suggested here:)

UPDATE: Ok so phoned CS again this morning was told it could be another 14days as they don't have a partnership with a courier service for a quicker replacement service? Have people on the internet been lying about their next day replacement then? Also the label he was supposed to email to me has still never arrived.

Have e-mailed the guy listed above and listed my grievances calmly. Sent the e-mail at 10:43 this morning hopefully he replies today :)

Fingers crossed for you.

Still can't believe Sony's attitude. It's people like you who've invested in the PS4 that have made it such a success.

Andy Barker hasn't replied yet, hopefully he will soon and the return postage label still hasn't arrived either meaning it will most likely be Monday before it begins it journey now meaning in total since I sent it off the first time it will take a minimum of 35 days to get a properly working console. Depressing

Andy Barker hasn't replied yet, hopefully he will soon and the return postage label still hasn't arrived either meaning it will most likely be Monday before it begins it journey now meaning in total since I sent it off the first time it will take a minimum of 35 days to get a properly working console. Depressing

Who did you buy it from?

Who did you buy it from?
Game but could I take it back there for a refund if it has already been replaced and this wasn't the console Game supplied me with?

Secondly I bought the KZ Gamer bundle...two controllers camera and KZ included so that would that mean I have to return the entire bundle and probably not be able to get another one due to limited stock?

Shame that the OP has sent the original console to Sony then and thus invalidated the SOGA 1979 (as amended) statutory rights we are blessed with in the UK (which is the statutory law you are referring to).

OP - Do not under any circumstance withhold any payment as stated, you have inadvertently voided the contract made with the vendor under SOGA and would simply incur interest as best case and a CCJ at worst.

That's dreadful.

The only negative surrounding the whole PS4 release seems to be exchanges of consoles and replacement controllers. I know a few people on here have had to send controllers back at their own expense in order to get replacements when the sticks have deteriorated.

If you bought it with a credit card you can write to them and explain the situation and point out to them that they are jointly liable for issues regarding goods and services around items purchased with your card as long as they're over £100. I think many debit cards offer the same cover but it's a bit more of a grey area. Often, the card issuer will issue a refund and then attempt to claim the money back from the retailer.

What I've done before is withold the cost of an item from my card payment that month, even if it's months after I purchased the item. You just tell your card issuer this in writing.

You should not be out of pocket by even a penny so keep a record of all your phone calls and how much they cost. Charge for your time also. If you think your time is worth £10 an hour and you're on the phone for 30 mins, then you charge £5 for that.

Hope this helps? Keep us updated... and try and keep calm. No point letting it make you angry.

Don't be this:
incredible-hulk-lou-ferrigno-WIDE.jpg

be this:
article-0-08648FBF000005DC-917_224x423.jpg

No, it would be fraud.

Your choice (although would they record serial numbers ;) )

OP - Always, always go to the vendor first, CC second and NEVER, EVER the warranty route in the first instance (SOGA is your friend)!

Game but could I take it back there for a refund if it has already been replaced and this wasn't the console Game supplied me with?

Secondly I bought the KZ Gamer bundle...two controllers camera and KZ included so that would that mean I have to return the entire bundle and probably not be able to get another one due to limited stock?

Shame that the OP has sent the original console to Sony then and thus invalidated the SOGA 1979 (as amended) statutory rights we are blessed with in the UK (which is the statutory law you are referring to).

OP - Do not under any circumstance withhold any payment as stated, you have inadvertently voided the contract made with the vendor under SOGA and would simply incur interest as best case and a CCJ at worst.

It's already paid mate don't worry...Sony replaced my faulty console with another faulty console I'm well aware the problem lies with them now...contacted CS this morning was supposed to get shipping labels sent via e-mail within a couple of minutes...almost 12 hours later still no label...it's enough to drive someone mad!

In the great scheme of things and all that mate :thumbsup:
Life could be much worse it's true...this is very much of those 'first world problems' I know but 35 days minimum without a PS4 when I read of others getting theirs replaced via a next day courier...right now feels like a kick in the teeth

That next day stuff was shortly after launch when it was in their best interest to replace them ASAP.

Now there is no Press barking up that tree so will replace them as fast as they normally do. Which is at a turtle's pace.

You're probably reading months old posts or articles saying next-day replacement.

Having bought it from GAME and now having had it swapped by Sony, you're now tied in to dealing with Sony as you don't have the original console.

As has been mentioned, go vendor first then credit/debit card issuer if that's how you paid. Going the manufacturer route is never advisable. Still, it's too late for that now as you've already gone the Sony route.

It could still be worth raising a dispute with your card issuer if you paid by card. Write and explain the situation to them. Send letters recorded delivery and check for a signature on RM's website.

Re-send the email to Andy Barker. Try sending an email to GAME's CEO too: [email protected]

Keep at them.

Having bought it from GAME and now having had it swapped by Sony, you're now tied in to dealing with Sony as you don't have the original console.

As has been mentioned, go vendor first then credit/debit card issuer if that's how you paid. Going the manufacturer route is never advisable. Still, it's too late for that now as you've already gone the Sony route.

It could still be worth raising a dispute with your card issuer if you paid by card. Write and explain the situation to them. Send letters recorded delivery and check for a signature on RM's website.

Re-send the email to Andy Barker. Try sending an email to GAME's CEO too: [email protected]

Keep at them.

Well when my launch day PS4 was faulty I had no choice but to go to Sony, Game flat out refused to do anything but then again they didn't have any.
They just pass the buck but what can you or they do? If you want a replacement console at launch, you have little choice.

Why are people advising the OP to kick up a fuss with his credit / debit card company? What are they going to do?

If he's spoken to Sony and they've said "we can't deliver for 14 Days" and they won't budge then that's disappointing but MasterCard aren't gonna ring Sony and give them an earful.

It's a VERY unlucky situation the OP is in , in that his replacement console was also faulty. But his grief should be with Sony.

Send an email to their customer service department explaining your whole situation , the costs of the calls, the fact you've been without a console for weeks and that your replacement was also faulty and that you're extremely disappointed. See if they'll offer some kind of PSN voucher.

This email replies within 24hours.

[email protected]

Really sorry to hear that and TBH I think that is really poor service.

I had problems last gen with RROD on 360s and always went back to GAME even after warranty run out. Its the reason I buy from the high street and not online for all consoles, so you can walk in - make a fuss and walk out with a new box. It has always worked. I know it's no use to you now and I hope you get sorted.

But when PS5 is out....

UPDATE: Still haven't received the shipping label e-mail am now on hold...have been for last 30minutes...'one of our advisors will be with you shortly' really really poor CS but my frustration level is now so high I will get speaking to someone today where I will calmly get what I want :)

LATEST: After almost an hour on hold finally got through to someone who managed to send out the shipping label think I'm going to have play by their rules and hopefully I'll it back by the Tuesday after Easter Monday

Last edited:
Because under SOGA the cc company is liable if the op didn't go the Sony route.

Why are people advising the OP to kick up a fuss with his credit / debit card company? What are they going to do?

If he's spoken to Sony and they've said "we can't deliver for 14 Days" and they won't budge then that's disappointing but MasterCard aren't gonna ring Sony and give them an earful.

It's a VERY unlucky situation the OP is in , in that his replacement console was also faulty. But his grief should be with Sony.

Send an email to their customer service department explaining your whole situation , the costs of the calls, the fact you've been without a console for weeks and that your replacement was also faulty and that you're extremely disappointed. See if they'll offer some kind of PSN voucher.

[email protected]

It's annoying and poor service, but it's not like they have said that they won't out it right so they are meeting their obligations (although poorly). The thing in your control however is not to buy Sony stuff anymore and whilst that will have little affect if it's just you, if their service causes a lot of people to do it then they would suffer.

As has been said above, you can only look to appeal to those in positions of power at Sony and if they value the customer at all then they should take your complaint seriously.

[email protected]

Nobody is advising on "kicking up a fuss" with the credit/debit card company. The suggestion is to raise a dispute with them in a calm and measured way... in writing.

Purchases over £100 made with your card automatically make the card issuer jointly liable for the goods and services you've paid for. In this instance, if the console was purchased with a card, the issuer has joint liability.

The card company don't ring Sony and give them an earful... lol. The card company look at the issues you've raised and have a duty to reimburse you and then claim that money back from the merchant or supplier of services. You are also able to include reasonable costs you've incurred trying to enforce the terms of your purchase... calls, letters, travel etc and your own time.

I once got £100 refund from my card issuer on top of the refund for an item. I'd spent two hours on the phone to a company in total before I involved the card issuer. I valued my hourly rate as a psychotherapist at £50...so two hours on the phone was £100.

I am having a small issue at the moment (I was charged for an instant game collection game) and I contacted them via email.
When the established that I would have to speak to them over the phone, the telephone number I was given was: 020 3538 2665 Opening hours: 08:00 to 22:00 Monday to Friday and 10:00 to 18:00 Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.
There are quite a few different numbers for them!

Good luck anyway, hopefully they are just covering themselves by saying it will be that long, and wont actually take that long.

UPDATE: Ok so phoned CS again this morning was told it could be another 14days as they don't have a partnership with a courier service for a quicker replacement service?

They definitely can offer a quicker replacement if they want to.

When my launch day unit was DOA, Sony had a new one on my doorstep the next working day.

I suppose now launch and Christmas is out of the way it doesn't look quite as bad for them PR wise to make people wait.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom