Mortal Kombat 2011 (UK Release: 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crovon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
News: Mortal Kombat 2011 announced - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Warner Bros. has just announced a new Mortal Kombat game for release next year - and it's nothing to do with that short film.

In development at newly re-named NetherRealm studios (formally WB Games Chicago), the "most brutal instalment" of Mortal Kombat will be released on PS3 and Xbox 360 next year, Warner's announced.

The new chapter "marks a triumphant return to the series' mature presentation and a reinvention of its classic 2D fighting mechanic," reads the official blurb.

"Driven by an all new graphics engine, the fan favorite Fatality is back and presented in more gory detail than ever before. In addition, Mortal Kombat introduces a number of new game-play features including tag team and the deepest story mode of any fighting game."

A bold promise indeed, but Warner goes bolder with the promise of "the most extensive online experience ever seen in a fighting game", in which up to four players can battle tag-team and two players can team up in the new 'Co-op Arcade Mode'.

Warner also promises an "extensive lineup" of the series' iconic warriors and "several" new game modes.

Series co-creator and NetherRealm creative director, Ed Boon said: "We can't wait for players to get their hands on Mortal Kombat. This game really is a response to what players have been demanding: mature presentation, reinvented 2D fighting mechanic and the best, most gruesome fatalities ever!"

Trailer here with gameplay footage:

News: Mortal Kombat 2011 trailer out - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

It looks awsome and its going to be brutal, a true return to form!!

Last edited:
Loving it. All of it.

After watching the live action trailer, I really want to see a movie made in that style. Those seven minutes are probably the best seven minutes of live action game adaption in existence. Quite an accomplishment for a low budget short.

The game trailer has given me hope in a Mortal Kombat game for the first time since the 90s. Going back to 2D is the best thing that could ever happen to the franchise.

All in all, quite a week for Mortal Kombat.

The game looks great. I pray that it plays as well as MK 2 did. The only thing im not too keen on is those stupid robots are in it Cyrax and whatever the other one is.
Spotted a few MK 2 levels too, Dead Pool, the Pit 2 and the Forest :thumbsup:

from the footage, the game looks excellent :) Back to it's 2d roots but with highly detailed 3d backdrops and characters. I hope they go down the "trilogy" route and have a ton of characters rather than limiting it to 10-20. That was always MK's strongest area i thought, having so many characters and yet making them all distinct. Street Fighter can have about 10 characters and yet 3 or 4 of them are just a reskinned version of Ryu or Ken.

Sounds awesome, big MK fan back in the day. Hope they do it justice and the story mode sounds promising.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

from the footage, the game looks excellent :) Back to it's 2d roots but with highly detailed 3d backdrops and characters. I hope they go down the "trilogy" route and have a ton of characters rather than limiting it to 10-20. That was always MK's strongest area i thought, having so many characters and yet making them all distinct. Street Fighter can have about 10 characters and yet 3 or 4 of them are just a reskinned version of Ryu or Ken.

I think they need to scale it back a little personally, having lots of characters is good as long as its not over the top.

I think they should keep the violent, gory adult side of MK 1&2. If they do that then they are on to a winner.

Im deffo keeping tabs on this one.

Listened to the giant bombcast from day 1 of E3 and they said that after trying it, it feels like MK2 with an added dash move :clap:
Scorpion is in there with spaces for 22 characters (I think they said) and a space for one downloaded one.
They saw 2 fatalities for kung lao so expect each fighter to have two. They did not see if there were friendships or babalities.

They wanted to talk more about it as there all hyped about it but had to move on to other chat.

Sounds great.

Wow looks sick glad its gone back to its roots.

News: Mortal Kombat 'as M-rated as it's ever been' - Dev - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Mortal Kombat will be focusing on good old fashioned over the top violence when it comes in 2011, according to series co-creator Ed Boon.

Boon told US mag, EGM: "We're going to be as M-rated as we've ever been." Good stuff.

"Mortal Kombat is known for and associated with violence, and we're definitely going back to that," he said.

How is Boon going doing this? It's the little things, according to EGM, with the MK team working on all the minute details both inside and out:

"The developers are actually modelling the insides of each character, from brains to bowels," says the mag.

"When you cut somebody in half, rip their arms off, or otherwise dismember them you will see their realistically rendered insides as they come spilling out of their body." Lovely, we can't wait to show the missus.

"Eyes are gouged from their sockets, faces are disfigured, and limbs are torn asunder," it adds.

Looks like a great update....but gotta be sub £20 before i bite

This looks the the roots back in the old days loved going in the arcade's playing this and everyone around you watching this game looks like its going to be class and well worth the money.

I know you're right. I reckon as soon as it comes out i'll be chomping at the bit to buy it asap....even if I end up spending £35 (knowing that within a month it'll be <£25) :laugh:

It was actually a concept trailer to sell the idea to WB, a reboot of the series is in production, whether its the same as the one above is yet to be seen, but a new film is due 2013 nonetheless :)

Yup, but still, it isn't for any movie at the moment, just at the idea stage...

Reet o, dont think it matters to be honest, I put the ? at the end as I wasnt sure if it was a new film or not, hopefully the fella will be involved but who knows

so yeah, the MK game looks good doesnt it

Just watched the E3 footage and interview and the trailer - I watched the XBOX Live thing last week too.

Game looks AWESOME - exectly what the franhcise needs. I loved it until MK3 then thought it went a bit bad with some ok bits.

Game has to be DARK and this looks dark.

I hope the do not bring back the babalities and stuff - they are just guff.

There will be 26 characters and additional via DLC it seems. That is room for every early character if you don't duplicate - like human and robot smoke etc and the two sub zeros.

Again - I would rather they reduced the characters slightly as some are a bit naff from MK3 onwards. I would also rather they have lots of secret characters - loved MK2 when you got to fight noob from a toastie uppercut!

Lots of the original level fatalities seem to be back which is good. Hope online is good :)

My only dilemma is whether to get on PS3 or 360. I think I would prefer the PS3 pad for this and have gone for fighters on that before, but may miss some of the easy LIVE features.....

Last edited:
Looks awesome.
That fatality was great :smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom