Mortal Engines 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the Review. On my rental list for a Rainy Sunday Afternoon.

Question - does The Crimson Permanent Assurance make a Guest Appearance as the "Father" of all mobile buildings? ;)

I had zero expectations for this film but was pleasantly surprised it was quite watchable and borderline enjoyable if for no other reason that it had a bit of an old school adventure feel about it. Also appreciated it was 'London' gobbling up and sucking the life out of smaller towns and cities... Just like it does in real life!

I bought the UHD steelbook from Fopp, Covent Garden. But when I got it home the spider tag had damaged it so I had to exchange it at an HMV up here.

Bit of a poser for me, 4KDI? It is tugging at my wallet for a hard copy.

Yep, stunning to look at. But I just found it a snore fest of a film. :censored: Such a shame. :(

I must admit,i quite enjoyed it :)
It was enjoyable enough fun if you approached it in the right frame of mind.
Aided by a few London jokes in it: 'Mind the drop' announcements on the tube and the Bobbies helmets. Plus others I can't remember at the moment. Plus visual jokes like the giant Trafalgar Square lions on the front of the city and various other landmarks all jumbled together.

Certainly got me wanting to read the books when I saw the trailer. This one is up my street I think. I like The Postman, show my level of taste.....

I’m with Simon on this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Watched as one of my late night movies with a nice bottle of wine(after wife and child gone to bed), found it entertaining enough (but that might have been the wine and a couple of beers:)).

5 out of 10 seems absurdly generous for this cinematic atrocity. It's so bad you almost wonder if it is actually intended as a satirical parody of everything that's wrong with present-day cinema.

On the plus side, if you're a fan of "Honest Trailers" on YouTube, the one for "Mortal Engines" is hilarious (but only if you've seen the film).

Watched this on 3D Bluray, on my LG Oled E6 and the picture quality is absolutely amazing. The CGI detail is top notch and so sharp. Looks very 4K in quality, although it's only standard Bluray.
Great Atmos audio too.

Shame the story and characters are lame, as the production quality is very high.

Will keep rewatching it again though for the picture and audio and hopefully it will appeal more as time goes by.

But, can anybody confirm if The Crimson Permanent Assurance is in the Movie?

If not, sounds like they missed a chance. How can you have a Movie about Moving Buildings without it?

It sounds like "It would have added a much needed sense of Humour to the Movie" to paraphrase Dr. Finch (Brian Cox) from "Running with Scissors"

Last edited:
Loved the books and loved the film as well :)

Totally enjoyed this one. Went in with zero expectations other than some spectacular visuals - it is spectacular! - and came away happy with the movie as a whole. Fun, solid adventure movie.

Absolute garbage top to bottom: unclear laws of gravity, acting, wigs, make-up, CGI, direction (there was none), story (there was none), production -everything. A total POS.

I also could not get that Monty Python scene out of my mind:

Thought the movie wasn't as bad as others said, think I gave it a 7/10 at the time.

What I don't understand is how avforums score blu-ray and UHD's. The Movie/Picture/Sound and extras add up to 29, divide this by four, which is just under 7.5/10. I don't understand the 5/10 score and have seen this a few times now, maybe somebody can explain? I hear people saying some of the scores are more important, to me, the sound and picture on a UHD should be most important, as people who wanna buy the film obviously like it. Otherwise it just becomes another 'movie review'.....

Amazing looking film, production design is absolutely superb. Opening 20 minutes are excellent.

Agree with the review though, all the great ideas and interesting visuals are chucked away as the script is very poor. Could and should have been much better. Shame.

Watched it last night. Great Visuals & a great idea. Some good London jokes, but overall a dull telling. Watched until the end for the visuals.
Obviously an alternative Universe, as this has London entering Europe, not leaving! ;)

late to the party on this one, rented it on disc and watched last night. Not as bad as my lowered expectations were anticipating. Good start but then got a bit dull, but the final battle was a bit of fun.

Stunning disc PQ and AQ-wise. One of the best images I've had on my [projector.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom