Mortal Engines (14 December 2018)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Universal will release Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh’s latest production on Dec. 14, 2018 (US).

Jackson and Walsh have been developing an adaptation of the 2001 Philip Reeve Scholastic book series for quite some time with their VFX protege.

Mortal Engines is set in the future where Earth’s cities now roam the globe on huge wheels, battling each other in a struggle for ever diminishing resources. In the film, two unlikely heroes come together and change the course of the future.

Christian Rivers (King Kong) at the helm. The movie marks the first for Jackson and Walsh at Uni since 2005’s King Kong and Universal Studios Hollywood’s King Kong: 360 3-D in 2010.

Media Rights Capital is also producing and co-financing with Uni. Currently Mortal Engines stands as the only major studio release on its mid-December date.

Jackson and Walsh co-wrote the screenplay with their fellow Oscar-winning collaborator, Philippa Boyens, with whom they crafted The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogies. Boyens is also a co-producer on the film. Zane Weiner (The Hobbit series), Amanda Walker (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) and Deborah Forte (Goosebumps) are also producing, while Ken Kamins (The Hobbit series) will serve as EP. Universal will distribute the film worldwide.

Mortal-Engines_London.jpg
Mortalengines.jpg

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Has cast its two male leads: Robert Sheehan (GEOSTORM) will play the lead role, while Ronan Raftery (FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM) will play his best friend.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
A first I was a bit 'meh' but the trailer shows an interesting concept.

Skull n Bones

Not sure on this but usually watch whatevers out on the big screen and looks good visually

Foster

Distinguished Member
I've got it booked for tomorrow morning so we shall see.

Foster

Distinguished Member
So I saw it this morning, I think 2hrs 10 minutes is probably too long, the world and CGI is absolutely fantastic but I felt the story dragged massively and I was clock watching after about 90 minutes, none of the characters really drew me into the world either, not even are mate Elrond.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Extremely nice looking film, the bizarre concept is well realised and very cool. Plot is simplistic but entertaining, stealing a fair bit of star wars towards the end. Hoping for a sequel. 7/10

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Lovely CGI visuals, impressive (if silly) world-building, semi-likeable lead, a couple of quite exiting bits. Felt every bit like a Peter Jackson fantasy. Beyond that, I thought the storytelling and characters were as rickety and lumbering (and on the verge of collapse) as the cities themselves.

Subplot was creepy and added nothing to the narrative (except to facilitate a small plot device).

6/10

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Wow, would’ve loved this when I was 12. It looks incredible, really top effects work. Terrific 3D aswell. Unfortunately that’s where the praise ends, bland story, bland characters and acting. Borrows liberally from every sci-fi film you’ve already seen and like way more than this. The bonkers premise isn’t explored, they opt for something far more generic.
But boy, it looks great.
5/10

Last edited:

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Wow, would’ve loved this when I was 12. It looks incredible, really top effects work. Terrific 3D aswell. Unfortunately that’s where the praise ends, bland story, bland characters and acting. Borrows liberally from every sci-fi film you’ve already seen and like way more than this. The bonkers premise isn’t explored, they opt for something far more generic.
But boy, it looks great.
5/10
agree with all this although i didnt see it in 3D, 4/10 for me

WarHog

I saw this tonight. Well I was actually sat in my seat ready to watch the Die Hard 30th Anniversary screening, but just before it started I decided I didn't want to be there so got up and walked out. Had a quick look on my phone and Mortal Engines was about to start on the screen next door so I sneaked in and watched it.

It's probably the most 'different' film I've seen in a long time. In fact its so different that I can't even decide if I loved it to hated it.

Skull n Bones

Took a gamble on this and fair to say I lost big time. Once the cities on wheels novelty quickly wore off, became a generic cliched mess. Only second time have ever walked out of any movie but decided an hour of my life was all I could waste on this. 2/10.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I saw this tonight. Well I was actually sat in my seat ready to watch the Die Hard 30th Anniversary screening, but just before it started I decided I didn't want to be there so got up and walked out. Had a quick look on my phone and Mortal Engines was about to start on the screen next door so I sneaked in and watched it.

It's probably the most 'different' film I've seen in a long time. In fact its so different that I can't even decide if I loved it to hated it.
You left an Xmas cinematic screening of the greatest action film of all time - for that?....:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett