More UK flag waving

Which could easily be a troublesome, unfriendly customer and nothing to do with skin colour but blamed as such.
As RoL said, racism is often subtle and unintentional.

As RoL said, racism is often subtle and unintentional.
As psikey says, "or not racism at all and just a touchy person blaming everything on their colour, race, sexuality or some other personal aspect."

Yes, lots of ism's do exist and some bad people out there for sure.

Last edited:
Systemic racism is still everywhere but may not be provable or worth flagging up without seeming paranoid or over-zealous/sensitive oneself.

A shop assistant may be very helpful to a white person but less so to a person of colour
It's when they are very unhelpful that it becomes obvious

Countless examples in life and work

I'm white and I'm sure I don't see most of it

Things are much improved over the last 30 years but is that any consolation when you are still on the receiving end of, possibly subtle, discrimination?
I'm White and my wife is Black and I've ****ing had enough of seeing this decade after decade. The different behaviour of shop staff and others when I'm on my own is very noticeable. Same everywhere, particularly bad experiences in Corsica, Sardinia and Madeira and of course the lovely South West of the UK.

Edit: Corsica and Madeira both had returned colonialists in common, 'pied-noirs' and 'retornados'.

Last edited:
I'm White and my wife is Black and I've ****ing had enough of seeing this decade after decade. The different behaviour of shop staff and others when I'm on my own is very noticeable. Same everywhere, particularly bad experiences in Corsica, Sardinia and Madeira and of course the lovely South West of the UK.

Edit: Corsica and Madeira both had returned colonialists in common, 'pied-noirs' and 'retornados'.
So you make every white man get on their knees and admit the shameful past of their ancestors.

Then what?

Ah, but I don't accept that systematic racism exists now, only that there's a very tiny ignorant minority that commits disgraceful acts like defacing that footy players picture.

Regards

That's your opinion and right of course, but could you tell us then when you think it ended?

As if you don't think it exists now, you acknowledge that it did and it must have stopped at some point.

Last edited:

Do you think it my be worse in London? I don't experience this and in some areas a majority of shop assistance aren't white anyway, but Asian and we are all just friendly with each other (yes, some arsehole customers as always, of various colours).

That's your opinion and right of course, but could you tell us then when you think it ended?

As if you don't think it exists now, you acknowledge that it did and it must have stopped at some point.
If you have people in high places that are racist they can affect the organisation they control for sure. Racism at the majority level I think is a minority in UK now but certainly doesn't seem to be in say US and I've seen it with mainland Europeans, Spanish in my case, SEAT execs.

Still a lot of Racism in the World at large towards Black & Asian IMO.

I grew up (late 70s and 1980s) and have returned to Exmouth and the delights of Tory Blue, and White, Devon

Surprisingly, our school was the largest in Europe (2500 pupils).

Twin boys were the only Black kids.
One Chinese family in our town and one 'Indian' both families owning a restaurant in the town and take-away (Thank God)

Things are better these days and (Labour voting Oasis) Exeter seems positively Multi Cultural now.
(Explosion in student numbers, many from abroad)

Plymouth has always had some people of colour of course.

But still White Small Town Insular Minds and Attitudes are still all too easy to find.

Mind you, we see that they also exist in Wembley. Who'd have thought that?
(I was away and lived and worked many years in the West London 'Burbs)

I grew up (late 70s and 1980s) and have returned to Exmouth and the delights of Tory Blue, and White, Devon

One Chinese family in our town and one 'Indian' both families owning a restaurant in the town and take-away (Thank God)

Things are better these days and (Labour voting Oasis) Exeter seems positively Multi Cultural now.

But still White Small Town Insular Minds and Attitudes are still all too easy to find.

Old but to the point re the South West, 'Keep them in Birmingham': https://www.freshshropshire.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Keep-them-in-Birmingham-1992.pdf

I was brought up in a poor area in Yorkshire in 70's and was only white kid on a majority black housing estate and school was 40/60 mix. 50-60% of my mates were black. Even early days in work life I got on best with the black workers for some reason.

I never saw racism during my junior school years. Different colour sure, but all British mindset wanting same things I'd say. Its the Cultural divide brought in with some Asian (certain Muslim) communities that is the main issue I see now, not colour.

People who single out people for colour in UK are just scum or low life losers. And some of older-end, wealthy, private schooled types.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was brought up in a poor area in Yorkshire in 70's and was only white kid on a majority black housing estate and school was 40/60 mix. 50-60% of my mates were black. Even early days in work life I got on best with the black workers for some reason.

I never saw racism during my junior school years. Different colour sure, but all British mindset wanting same things I'd say. Its the Cultural divide brought in with some Asian (certain Muslim) communities that is the main issue I see now, not colour.

People who single out people for colour in UK are just scum or low life losers. And some of older-end, wealthy, private schooled types.
You are struggling to hide your islamophobia yet again.these black ,british footballers are not muslims but are getting abused.strange that i actually agree on something with you though.i think people who single out people for their colour, sex or religion are scum or low life losers.

Looking back at thd warmth and friendliness of London 2012 and the aftermath of the Euro 2020 final, I can't help but reflect on what effect the resulting 9 years of Tory rule has had on the nation.

Looking back at thd warmth and friendliness of London 2012 and the aftermath of the Euro 2020 final, I can't help but reflect on what effect the resulting 9 years of Tory rule has had on the nation.

Severe damage with more to come.

But that's for another thread.

You know, I can't actually remember any instances of mob violence around athletics, football, however, has pretty much always had a contingent of hooligans, irrespective of the Government.

You know, I can't actually remember any instances of mob violence around athletics, football, however, has pretty much always had a contingent of hooligans, irrespective of the Government.
There’s often reports of violence at horse racing (combination of alcohol and betting?) as well as football.
I remember in the early 90s (I think) that there was an Ireland England rugby match at Lansdown Road on the Saturday - lots of drinking, but no violence.
On the following Wednesday Ireland England football at the same place - lots of violence, seats being thrown etc, I think the match was abandoned.
I put it down to rugby fans drinking beer and football fans drinking lager.

You are struggling to hide your islamophobia yet again.these black ,british footballers are not muslims but are getting abused.strange that i actually agree on something with you though.i think people who single out people for their colour, sex or religion are scum or low life losers.
I'm saying what I see and have seen for years now. Don't stick a specific label on me as I'm not for any religion, wish concept never existed.

I have Asian friends who or Muslim and other religions, why I said certain ones, not the Religion on its own. Plenty of moderate Muslims, Jews, Christians etc.

Last edited:
Got me thinking, what actually makes people be against people of colour in UK today?

Is it a bad upbringing(parents/peers)? Jealousy of someone successful and choosing colour as a knock-down? Media/police representation of bad (gang) black men making people think all black people are bad?

I suspect 1st one but don't know. I honestly don't know anyone I'd consider rascist. I was suprised when my black mate at work told me he had stopped seeing a lot of his own black friends, saying to me they are rascist against whites (his partner is white, and kids mixed race).

Suspect for some its resistanace against establishment going on what he told me, including vaccine hesitancy. Distrust of majority white authority?

Last edited:
Got me thinking, what actually makes people be against people of colour in UK today?

Is it a bad upbringing? Jealousy of someone successful and choosing colour as a knock-down? Media/police representation of bad (gang) black men making people think all black people are bad?

I suspect 1st one but don't know. I honestly don't know anyone I'd consider rascist. I was suprised when my black mate at work told me he had stopped seeing a lot of his own black friends, saying to me they are rascist against whites (his partner is white and kids, mixed race).

Suspect for some its resistanace against establishment going on what he told me, including vaccine hesitancy.

Ignorance. Lack of education. Nobody is born racist, it's learned.

Kind of what I was arguing about in the other thread, the need to teach our young about diversity and other cultures. That's when impressions are formed. Not keeping them insulated so they end up learning from social media and the internet. Which is definitely exacerbating the problem.

I mean people might think the issue isn't that bad, but seeing some of what was doing the rounds on Sunday night/yesterday, it's sickening stuff. And there's thousands spreading and liking it, revelling in it.

Ignorance. Lack of education. Nobody is born racist, it's learned.

Kind of what I was arguing about in the other thread, the need to teach our young about diversity and other cultures. That's when impressions are formed. Not keeping them insulated so they end up learning from social media and the internet. Which is definitely exacerbating the problem.

I mean people might think the issue isn't that bad, but seeing some of what was doing the rounds on Sunday night/yesterday, it's sickening stuff. And there's thousands spreading and liking it, revelling in it.
And, its making some Blacks/Asians racsist against UK white people! Got to get it stamped out and white people not stay silent making people realise its still a nasty minority view. I'm sure most UK white people are colour blind.

Last edited:
I'm saying what I see and have seen for years now. Don't stick a specific label on me as I'm not for any religion, wish concept never existed.

I have Asian friends who or Muslim and other religions, why I side certain ones, not the Religion on its own. Plenty of moderate Muslims, Jews, Christians etc.
Ok sorry for sticking a label on you.but its ok for you to do exactly that.
Anyway can we leave it at this.i am old enough to be thick skinned.

There’s often reports of violence at horse racing (combination of alcohol and betting?) as well as football.
I remember in the early 90s (I think) that there was an Ireland England rugby match at Lansdown Road on the Saturday - lots of drinking, but no violence.
On the following Wednesday Ireland England football at the same place - lots of violence, seats being thrown etc, I think the match was abandoned.
I put it down to rugby fans drinking beer and football fans drinking lager.
Have to say I've not heard that but not exactly a horse racing fan. I wonder if it's possible the well dressed folk in their Transits having a scrap 😁

Football has always been one of the most tribal sports and lots of stupid thugs use a game, win or lose, as an excuse for a fight.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom