More trouble for struggling Comet

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jonna, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,394
  2. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    If they had gave them away to any customers who bought a PC/Laptop as a recovery disc I doubt Microsoft would be able to do any thing.
    But they openly admit selling them at £15 each! :rotfl:

3. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    exactly Solar. They might have been forgiven if they gave them away for free, but lets face it, their sales staff would have had a directive to punt them to unsuspecting old ladies trying to get on the Information Super Highway.

4. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Is this unusual? I'm pretty sure in the past when I've called Dell's call centre to buy a PC they've said I could pay a few extra quid for the recover disc to be included, as they were no longer included as standard. Also my last laptop came with a recovery disc image that I could burn myself.
    It should be noted the recovery disc were only sold to people who has previously purchased a windows PC from Comet.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I'd imagine Dell and MS have somewhat more contractual arrangement in respect of recovery disc. Also, Dell do only charge £5 for the disc, which, whilst costing a little more than a blank disc costs, is not really a profit margin Dell would expect to make much money from. £15 is a little more profitable and useful for Comet, plus, I'd expect Dell discs may well be produced by MS (or a company on their behalf) as legit recovery discs. They are just not issued as standard to help keep costs down, but also encourage people who dont buy the recovery disc to just get a new PC if things go pear shaped.

Unless I'm mistaken, Currys do the same thing, but are a bit more intelligent about it, rather than offer an outright recovery disc for more than a fiver, you can buy a nice expensive after sales pack which gives you pointless insurance, the recovery disc, an in-store demo and some really naff peripherals. I helped a mate buy a laptop in a local one, and the sales guy kept on going on about how its best to have the after sales pack etc etc, to the point where I said 'so you're saying that the laptops you sell are probably not of very good quality as its likely the after sales pack will be needed?' At which point he finally realised that pushing it too hard damaged the chance of a sale and shut up and just answered the questions I wanted answers to.

6. campy mccamper

campy mccamper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I actually walked out of comet a few years ago after initially agreeing to buy a pc from them. The sales staff then gave me the hard sell on virtually every extra they could think of, when I declined they said they would give me a few minutes to think about and walked off, and so did I straight out of the door.

And they wonder why these large electrical retailers are struggling.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I for one will raise a glass when comet is out of the equation. I wouldn't buy a battery from these carpetbaggers. They give the electricals retail industry a bad name.