1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Toshiba Rubbish: Will I Never Learn

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Meldrew_Lives, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of you may remember I posted a few weeks back when a 46WH08B crapped out after two and a half weeks.

Having looked at all the alternatives, and slightly against my better judgement, I decided to try the new 50WH18B. And it was a very nice tele..... for a while; two whole weeks. Starting yesterday it has become temperamental and refuses to recognise the handset (or the front panel) controls after being switched on for a few minutes. Switching it off/on usually recovers the situation..... until the next occurrence. We'll see what the engineer says when he comes.

In the meantime I suggest it is time that Toshiba senior management got the message. Attached is a letter I have sent - those of you with Toshiba problems might like to do the same as well as giving them as much negative publicity as possible.

Mr A Thompson
    Managing Director
    Toshiba Information Systems (U.K.) Ltd
    Weybridge Business Park
    Addlestone Road
    Addlestone
    Surrey KT15 2UL

Dear Mr Thompson,

I have owned a Toshiba rear projection TV (model 50WH18B) for two weeks and, despite the fact that it was delivered without a remote control handset or user manual, the performance has exceeded my expectations.

Until yesterday, when it developed a fault. More to the point, it replaced a previous Toshiba RPTV (model 46WH08B) which also developed a fault after two and a half weeks.

Frankly I think the quality of the product you are shipping is disgraceful! I know from some research on the internet that my experience is by no means an isolated one. The question is -what are you doing about it?

I presume you can identify the executives responsible for manufacturing and quality control? In which case perhaps you could encourage them to get their backsides off the golf course and onto the production line with a view to introducing the apparently revolutionary (to Toshiba at least) concept of shipping products with zero defects.

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Any response?

3. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit too soon - will keep you posted.

I note yet another glowing review (for the 42WH18B) in this month's HCC. Maybe it's time they adopted the motoring press concept of a 'long term test' eg the equivalent of three months normal use before they award an accolade.

It doesn't matter how technically good a set is if the thing claps out after two weeks!!

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Name and shame. I had to do this with KEF but it got results. Stick with it.;)

5. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had 2 tosh r/p's last year,keep at it. it took me 10 months of repeat visits by engineers,i found being firm but fair was the best way.if you tell them that they are **** from word go they may just stick their heels ( they may well be **** at their jobs)
    you should have no problems as your tv is new.Minwe was 5 moths old when the problems originally started so i got the usual well its been ok for 5 months why do you want a replacement.i finally got to know the service engineers that well and he said he'd write the tv off for me ( thats the 2nd replacement)
    i really do think the these tvs do not ship well at all,you need an installer to be at your house for an hour to let the tv warm up,before they leave,Can you see that happening

6. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My first two 40" Toshibas (in as many weeks) developed faults which led to delivery of replacements. The third one works fine but I insisted (despite the grunts from the delivery men) that the set be delivered in its box right into the living room. It has stuck me that whilst Toshiba clearly has some problems with the durability and reliability of its RPTVs, the handling of the product once it has left the hands of the factory leaves a great deal to be desired.

I'm sure that warehouse staff and delivery staff treat the boxes in the same way as airport baggage handlers!! The Comet, Currys etc white vans speed full pelt over speed bumps which can't do anything for the van's contents. That said, Toshiba should make the product more reliabile since liability for quality ultimately rests with them.

The crux of the issue of RPTVs and quality is 'switching costs'; once we've bought the set, it's difficult, inconvenient, lengthy and costly to switch to another set/brand/retailer since we cannot return the set to the store - we are, in effect, a captive, captured and reluctantly loyal market. The pressure for change at the manufacturers end is (I fear) is likely to be similar to that of the broadcasters and their logos.

Good luck Meldrew.

7. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you are right about the handling - but if Toshiba can't build a quality product ie one that can stand up to the expected transport conditions they shouldn't put it on the market.

You are absolutely right about 'captive' customers. Its almost two days now since I told the supplier QED that I would accept an engineering call rather than replacement and so far I've heard nothing from them or Toshiba. Crap service on top of crap manufacturing makes my blood boil. I have, of course, reserved my right to reject it completely as not fit for its purpose.

Hope nobody is holding their breath regarding a reply to my letter to the MD - I'm certainly not. If Toshiba cared they wouldn't perpetrate this kind of rubbish on the customer.

If the set was working properly it would be a great product - I like the picture quality.

Am now beginning to wonder whether I should get them to take it away and go plasma. A 36" CRT seems as big a lucky dip as the RP sets judging by the other posts on here and I don't really fancy a projector. Problem is I'm not really convinced that plasma technology is value for money.

8. Darkly

Darkly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm.. I have a 42WH18 B with exactly the same problem, but its worsened over the last few days since I reported it last week.

First off it kept freezing the remote and panel out as you have said.... turn on and off to cure. Then it started to not come back on at all when I switched it off to get rid of the problem... the power light came on but no picture or sound, just a click from the speakers as the TV powers up and that's it. It would come on sometimes and other times it would just do that.

Now it doesn't come on most of the time and when it does it "freezes" up (remote and panel do nothing) almost immediately, in fact sometimes while the channel info ("Granada Television" or whatever in the black panel at the bottom) is still displayed which then stays "frozen" on the screen...

An engineer is supposed to be coming out to have a look (Sound+Vision only replace within the first 2 weeks and this happened in the third week of ownership... oh joy). Though the wife made me throw away the packaging (nowhere to store all that crap in a small flat) so if it does have to go in for servicing I am a bit concerned as to exactly how it will be handled.

Grrr....... =(

9. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - mine is same, sometimes when you off/on there is nothing, just like yours.

So far nothing from Toshiba - chased up QED this morning and they said "Oh we meant 48 WORKING hours for an engineer to respond not 48 hours" - yeah right!!!

So I rejected the set and told them to replace it. They say they can't because no stock. I pressed them to contact Toshiba and they say no stock at Toshiba for the next month. I could have a refund of course but what will that achieve?!

What a shambles! I know it isn't QED's fault but it strikes me that the retailers don't really care all that much about customer satisfaction either.

Been too busy to contact Toshiba myself but tomorrow I intend to. Usually I take the view that life is too short for this kind of aggro but NOT this time around; I intend to persevere.

I noted a recent post on here about a duff plasma screen straight out of the box which Pioneer iniitally wouldn't replace. It really is time that we consumers sent a clear and unequivocal message to the people who are currently getting away with a disgraceful approach to our business.

10. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Take a refund and go buy Hitachi 43" Empire Direct were selling them for £1600... I paid quite a bit more than this but its still good value, pictures great, built like a battleship and progressive scan. The packaging is unbelievable [wooden base frame etc] so no worries about delivery problems. I have seen all the latest sets but still wouldnt be swayed if i could re-choose.

11. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree with Martin,take the money and move on,i moved on to a thomson 44" and after several hours setting up i have a picture im happy with,the buid quality of the thomson puts the tosh models to shame,my tosh 40" rp cabinet used to rack if you moved it :D

12. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with you about the build quality of the Thomson - thought it was the best looking one when I did the research but don't think the pic compares with (a working) Toshiba. That's the rub of course, if the f***ing thing doesn't work then its a pointless debate.

Still awaiting any kind of response from Toshiba both management and engineer. Tomorrow is D-day.

13. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last...... some signs of progress.

The TV has gone further downhill - no pic/sound anything. BUT had a call this evening from the Technical Manager of Toshiba's Consumer Products Division who expresses concern and is promising to send a man to fix it tomorrow afternoon. He is "confident" they know what the problem is.

I'll keep you guys posted. In the meantime other Toshiba victims might like to note that I sent my letter to the wrong man (hey ho silly me not to realise that the address they put on their paperwork is meaningless). The MD of the Consumer Products Division is a Mr Ishi (not sure I got the spelling right so suggest you check before going into print).

Tune in for the next thrilling installment tomorrow evening!!

14. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm having the same problem with a 43vj13p. No control from front buttons or remote. Mine has now refused to start for 4 days solid and I've got Masterplan coming in Saturday to fix it prior to replacement.

I'm having murders with the bxxxxrds at Currys who though I was buying a 43pj93b but it was a 43vj. They now say the set I bought, on Boxing day, was mispriced and I cannot have a like-for-like replacement because the receipt shows it as a 43pj, even though they know damn well what they sold me. I can either have my money back or pay another £475 for a replacement:mad: :mad:

Trading Standards are on the case now.

Its a shame as its a lovely set, great AV.

EDIT - when the Masterplan engineer looked at the tv on the 27th, he said he had seen my problem once before and that it was a problem with the sets memory, something to do with earthing. Don't know if that infos's any use to anyone.

15. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regardless of any cockups with the model number, (on their part), you are still entitled to a refund or a full replacement. Quick to take your money aren't they?

16. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Well...... the very very nice man from Toshiba called today and replaced an IC card - lo and behold it all works now.

I think Toshiba are aware they have a problem with the text card in a batch of sets so if, like Darkly and me, you are having a difficulty make sure they know about it.

Thanks for the comments and advice, only time will tell if I did the right thing in hanging on to the set. Fingers crossed!!

17. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've finally got it sorted with Trading Standards and they have said that Currys have NO legal responsibility to replace the set. They have offered a refund and that is good enough.
    Frankly, I'm stunned and not a little pxxxed off. The smug bastard in Currys is going to get his way as there's no way I want to keep a set that may become unrepairable and thus cause me no end of problems further down the line.

I may have the last laugh though, as I'm thinking of asking for a pricematch with Hi-Spek who have it at £1399 inc a £130 Nicam video, the cabinet (£200 at Currys) and a 5-year warranty(£320 at Currys). By my reckoning, that would cost Currys, who's proper price for the VJ13 is £1599, a whopping £850. Thats double what the pricing mistake has cost them.
    Hi-Spek are bricks&mortar, within range and have it in stock so they don't have a get out.

I'm loathe to do business with Currys but I'm a vindictive git.

Just read the above post about the IC card. Does anyone think I should have the set repaired or should I just cut my losses and run ??

18. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't know if its much relevance, but had a few problems with Hi-Spek who would not replace a faulty Tv . I think they are OK if you live near them but by mail order they are murder to deal with if you have a problem. Incidentally, Sony (the manufacturer) replaced the Tv when all Hi-Spek said they would do was repair(and charge me as I was out of warranty period)!

19. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Note that Curry's will only price match after a sale within seven days of the date of purchase.

20. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In this case, Currys wouldn't price-match at all. I got the usual cobblers about Hi-Speks price being a sale price and they don't match sale prices.

I'd already decided not to touch Currys again even before I asked but I was curious.

I genuinely believe its a scandal the crap that this group of companies (incl Dixons and PCWorld) and others like Comet will spout in order to avoid price-matching legitimate local prices.

At £1599 plus another £200 for the stand, the price on the VJ is exorbitant to say the least.

I never usually shop at these places because of prices and service and my latest experience has reinforced this view. Apart from the occassional pricing cock-up, Sony 1070 for £300 :D , X-files DVD boxsets for £20 etc, I will not shop there again.