More Topfield 5800 PVR questions

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bossk128, Mar 15, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Bossk128

Bossk128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Hi all,
    I'm veering towards purchasing the Topfield rather than the Humax due to it having a couple of more features that have been posted about to death. So, I've a couple of questions-

Are there any bugs or missing features on the Topfield that cannot be fixed with free TAPs?

Is there a group of TAPs that are though of by Topfield users as 'must haves' as far as enhancing the use of the PVR?

I believe component can be output over SCART on the Topfield. I think that somewhere long ago I read that my TV, a Philips 32PW9308, can display component from SCART. I don't know if I beleive this, but am willing to try it. If it doesn't, is there an easy way for me to reset the PVR to a default output, as I won't be able to see anything to change back to RGB?!

And another TV related Topfieid question- does it have the option to display 4:3 pictures as widescreen but with black side bars? My telly is too stupid to auto-switch true 4:3 and 14:10 (or whatever TV widescreen is).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bossk128

2. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    I thought my Panasonic was too stupid to switch 4x3 correctly too until I put it on 4x3 mode instead of Auto or 16x9. Now true 16x9FHA is displayed full screen and 4x3(LB or FF) is displayed pillarbox. Have you tried this?

Sorry I know nothing about the Topfield, but have read the Inverto is a top PVR...

3. Bossk128

Bossk128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I've tried a whole load of ways to get round this! If I outputut it in 4:3, it squashes widescreen so that everybody's skinny. It does do auto swithing actually, but never 'proper' aspect ratios. Different versions of Philips idea of how you would watch things- usually a 'subtle' blend of cropping and stretching, on both wide and 4:3 pictures, basically if neither is correct I'd rather change manually.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    Just install the mystuff TAP and the rt2mei one as well. Check www.toppy.org.uk for info about them. With those installed it's fantastic, auto recording of programs by search name, nice grid epg etc etc..

5. PeaJay

PeaJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'd recommend using the Toppy in it's vanilla setting for a while
    that way you can get to know the workings of it, and look round when you think "why can't it do X, or why did it do Y":cool:

TAPS cover most stuff.:thumbsup:

The only ones I have currently set to autorun are:
    • mcgCYRResume - which restarts playback when dumped if I'm doing chase play:smashin:
    • TF5000 (LCD) Display TAP - which lets me have the channel name on the display, rather that the number (it does one or two other bits too, like recording info etc):thumbsup:
    I haven't bothered with a new EPG much... maybe later ;)
    loads of functionality, all tweekable as much as you want - even out to being able to set recordings via the web, or sms (thanks to www.toppy.org.uk). Not tried this tho, my link to my pc is to remote for that kind of functionality. :D

6. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    The remote timers stuff is www.toppy.org.uk not co.uk; we also have TAPs flagged as 'TipTop' which are the ones we think are suitable for new users; you can browse through them at www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/

The Toppy outputs 4:3 material as 4:3, with proper WSS signalling.

Nigel.

7. PeaJay

PeaJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    :oops:
    ok... changed on my post
    just trying to be helpful :D
    listen to him, not me :blush:

8. Bossk128

Bossk128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    My Toppy is in storage at the moment, but I've found this Tap which may help once I can get Freeview again (stupid Perth!).

http://www.mimas.ac.uk/~zzalsaw2/topfield/

9. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    As for cables, i got one of these :

Scart - Component Cable

I find it gives an excellent picture, alotobetter than Scart does.

:thumbsup:

10. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,183
    None necessary that I am aware of, I have my Toppy since August, with just Mystuff and its related TAPs and have not noticed any other bugs...

Absolutely! You've got to get Mystuff, it now comes bundled with all other necessary taps (description extender, remote control extender, EIT2MEI for EPG info gathering)....Nothing else is a must have imho...

Hmmm, don't know about that one...Good question....Personally I would just keep it to Scart-RGB anyway...The picture is as good as it is going to get with Freeview on my 43 inch plasma, I'll doubt severely you are going to see any enhanced picture when using Component.....

I think there is a TAP that give specific control for that kind of thing and even more, I think it is called something like WSSKiller...Just look at toppy.org.uk....

11. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Failing using any taps that may or may not do the job for you, the 0 button does manual apsect ratio switching avoiding the need to pick up your TV remote.

12. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Personally, I prefer the combination of EPG Navigator and UK AutoScheduler; you don't have to have MyStuff on your Toppy, and there are alternatives.

If you do set the video to component and can't set it back, the composite will still be working, and you can change the settings by memorising the button presses from the main menu - I think from TV you'd press Menu, OK, down 4 times, OK, down once, and then use left and right until the picture appears again.

Nigel.

13. Bossk128

Bossk128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Thanks for the replies.

WRT wsskiller, it's not the Toppys output that is the problem, it's the telly- set on Widescreen, it'll display WS no matter what (stretches 4:3). If it's on 4:3, it'll display all at 4:3 (squashes WS). If it's on Auto, it plays both WS and 4:3 as some kind of funky zoom/crop combination. So I don't think wsskiller will help.

If I understand the above TAP properly, it asks the toppy to add black bars to the sides of a 4:3 signal, and send out as WS. Tada!!

14. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,183
    LOL Are you saying in the same post that it won't and will work :D I recommended it for the functionality of the second paragraph tada!!

15. Bossk128

Bossk128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Aye, the second paragraph is what I want, and I don't think wsskiller does this. The 'above TAP' I'm referring to is the Dumb Widescreen TAP I mentioned a few posts earlier.

16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,183
    Duh? My mistake....