More than stereo...

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my bedroom I have a very modest little set up - it's a tiny amp like THIS, connected to which are a pair of smallish speakers that came with a Toshiba CRT that had a built in 5.1 decoder/output/whatever. All I do is plug my iPhone or iPod into this little amp if I want to put some music, or a rain sounds app I've got, on when I go to sleep. But what I'm finding, maybe because of speaker position (either side of the bed on side tables) is I'm only really getting sound from the side I'm facing, so it doesn't sound stereo. What I'm wondering is how can I go *more* than stereo, and have multiple speakers doted around the room (probably fairly high up) so as to get the sound particularly from the rain app, to be all around the room and above, rather than have it sound like it's just coming from one corner? Be even better if it had a little active sub to make the thunder pop...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If you have some space then buy a cheap secondhand av receiever. I'm assuming this rain app only outputs in stereo? I have a Lexicon processor on my cinema set up that has a mode called Logic 7 which I've found does a far better job of converting stereo into multi speaker surround than any similar pro-logic modes on other amps I've owned. Although I've never heard one, I know some Harman Kardon av amps also had a Logic 7 mode such as the one in the link below that sold for £45. Couple something like that with a cheap 7.1 speaker system and you should feel like your sleeping in a tropical storm!

Harman Kardon AVR 4550 7.1 DTS ES surround receiver | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You don't give a budget but:

You will get a better soundstage just by moving the speakers to the far wall. You could also upgrade the speakers to something with a bit more low end, within the constraints of the amp. So you could fill the room without going to multiple speakers.

But if you really want to go surround & sub then given your use, I'd look at a older spec all-in-one DVD/BD system. That will give you 5.1 for peanuts. Some even have iThing docks.

Thanks fella's, I had thought of the AVR route, but not very in-depth. Just a fleeting thought. I'd love to have something that could just take a stereo output and send it to multiple speakers, like how you have 9 or 10 speakers in a pub or restaurant and they're all playing the same CD/MP3 (I realise commercial places like that will likely have expensive kit, just an outline of what I was thinking). It'd be great to have say 5 or 6 ceiling speakers, and maybe a little active sub. I'm guessing it's not as simple as daisy chaining the speakers off each other (my limited knowledge does tell me I remember something about not being able to do that due to power loads and something to do with lowering or raising impedance when you daisy chain speakers)

You would really need multiple channels of amplification to do that and the cheapest way to get that is an old multi channel av reciever that no one else wants due to lack of modern formats and connectivity. I guess another option would be multiple bluetooth speakers synced together.

Two good speakers are better than 6 so-so speakers. I suspect, if I understand correctly, a big part of the problem is the speaker position. Try placing them across the room from you which should product better stereo imaging. And, get better speakers.

The amp is nothing special, but for £13 it should be fine. The small T-Amp can actually sound pretty good when used within their working range.

I strongly suspect, your speakers are very lacking given they were one part of a small all-in-one system.

Though simply metaphorical, 6 x 0 is still ZERO.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom