1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More speaker advice...starting again...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Smurfin, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Well it looks like most of my kit is sold on the audio front, so I now need to seriously look at what I'm downgrading to!

I've spent a frustrating few days trawling the net and looking for some 2nd hand kit, I was originally looking at something like the following, to incorporate my Celestions into the setup:

Celestion A1s (fronts)
    Celestion A4c (centre)
    Celestion A5r (rears)
    Servo 15 (sub)
    Meridian 565 or Rotel RSP985
    Rotel 985mkII
    Arcam DV88+

The main thing that's driving the list above is the Celestions, and frankly I doubt anything below the 985mkII will run them well enough (buns you have alot to answer for, I'll give you a fiver for your Koratos?:laugh: :D ).

So I'm now considering selling all of the Celestions (probably get £700 for all 5 at a guess), which opens up a whole range of new options for me.

To be honest I want speakers which are easier to drive; I'll likely look at getting an integrated of the likes of a Denon AVC-A10SE, or possibly a Pioneer AX5...though it pains me to buy things like amps brand new...I'm also looking at other integrateds, but I'll save that for the amp forum:)

So with the two amps above in mind, what speakers should I be looking at? For all 5 (not looking at 7.1...for now) speakers, my max budget would be around the £1000 mark.

The main criteria for the speakers should be:

* Stand mounts
    * Passive design (that's given considering my budget)
    * Front 3 to be (ideally) the same

I've been trawling through lots of threads tonight, and I've read some fantastic things about the baby Quad 11L's, but people have also mentioned dynaudio 42s amongst others.

Remembering that I'm running a Servo-15 for everything below 80hz, and that I like clean sounding sonics at near-reference levels, what speakers should I consider?

I realise I may be looking at buying new, and at least it gives me the opportunity to demo at a dealer's (God, not done that for a while!).

If people could quote the best prices they've seen also, that would be appreciated:)

Cheers
    Matt

PS ofc, 2nd hand is obviously still an option for me if people can think of other solutions...

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the link I posted in your thread in the classifieds for the Pioneer 2011 (£599 new a superfi). Essentially the AX5 without iLink and the 'Air' chassis. Hi-Fi News measured the output into five channels of the 2011 as 136wpc with 8 ohms and a 1khz test tone - that sounds rather ambitious, 100wpc sounds more realistic. But still an admirable performace compared to similarly priced Denons.

Also bear in mind that you can assign the centre-rear channels of the AX5/D2011/AX3/D1011 to the front two channels for biamping, which you might find particularly beneficial.

I heard the Quad 11Ls not four months ago in Sevenoaks, tested them with both my Denon 1803 and a Rotel RA-02. They were nigh-on-perfect for their price (came surprizingly close to my 775e's in performance) and my only complaint was them struggling with big bass - but I suppose your Servo would have no trouble taking care of that. Would be difficult finding matching 'diffuse' surround speakers though. The Wharfedale DFS surrounds use drivers constructed of the same material, so they should be a good match.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Reviews seem to rate the Quad's in a price-bracket much higher than their actual cost? Is this bunkum, or do people agree with this?

Dimmy, have you got any links for the wharfedale dfs surrounds?

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't say the Quads rank in 'Much higher' than their actual cost. They're certainately beyond the pennies it costs for them, but they're convincingly outperformed by speakers in the £800-1000 price area. I've heard little better than them below that price bracket though, they're amazing value for money (and if you haven't already seen them in the flesh, they ARE gorgeous).

I'll get a link of the wharfedales for you.

[edit]

YGPM.

[edit again]

Here's that link for you:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=1938&aid=51002&oid=871

If the tonal match isn't perfect, there's always pioneer's Parametric 5 band equaliser ;).

And, IIRC, the Dynaudios you mention are almost as difficult to drive as your Celestions...

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Excellent sounding and looking speakers but Bristol is only five weeks away and that is the best place to listen to as many speakers as possible in one place, although the circumstances aren't ideal

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I had to get rid of my Aegis 3's due too a toddler wandering around. I had the VM1 or Keff 5005's on my mind, but after auditioning they just were not 'mature' enough for my taste. Too much projection in my face, or perhaps shouting would describe it...
    I then demoed the Monitor Audio's Radius 180's which are the larger versions of the tiny little (ugly) boxes. Love the looks and the sound is just fantastic...I demoed them with a Quake installed so was rest assured that my CHT-10 would easily compliment them. And boy do they sound good. Your servo wouldn't have a problem at all.
    I got six of them for £140 each...They go down to 60Hz and then my CHT-10 takes over....

Well worth an audition and I think they look stunning....

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    hmm monitor audio radius? - anyone else heard these? How do they compare to the Quads I wonder?

Ian, in terms of sound per pound, how would you rank the Quads? Did you hear them driven loud?

Cheers all
    Matt

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience the Quads didn't like being driven too loudly (well, +8dB!). But I'm told that it's entirely possible that this was the fault of the amplification.

9. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I haven't heard them against the Quads, but when you do compare make sure you do it using the larger Radius 180's they are in a class apart compared to the small 90's....

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Are the Radius 180's £140 each? - or is that the smaller ones?

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't heard enough of the opposition to rank them for sound per pound although I will make up for that at Bristol in a few weeks time.

I heard them playing stereo at normal volumes so don't know what they would be like at reference level with LOTR blasting through them.

See you at Bristol ?

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Probably;) What's the date?

13. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    That is correct, the 180's are £140 each. I think normal price is £150 each but I smiled nicely at Sevenoaks. I have been a good customer over time. The one in Watford has got some good demo rooms. First demo I walked out as the Saturday help was totally useless and just didn't have a clue on how to 'balance' a system...I spoke to J the manager and the second demo was superb and allowed me to easily switch between the speakers.....

They aren't talked about on here at all, but just trust your ears, hear it side by side and I would be really interested in your opinion...I think Sevenoaks stock the Quads as well so....They weren't on my list simply because unfortunately I have to ceiling mount my centre speaker as the patio door is behind my 8ft projection screen....

14. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Had a demo of the radius package last weekend at Sevenoaks and I’ve got to say what an amazing sound for such small speakers. Compared them to the Kef Eggs which I’ve just sold and also the new Kef 5005 package. No contest immediately ordered 4 radius 90’s a 180 and the sub. Told they have arrived at the dealers so picking them up on Saturday.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Does anyone have any thoughts onthe Monitor Audio Golds? GR10's look very nice, though pricey...and I need 3 rather than a pair:(

16. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Well there you go. I am glad to hear I am not alone. So even the tiny 90's are blowing the others away. The 90's are really, really small. Still go down to 80Hz, whilst the 180's go a little further to 60Hz. It also has to be noted that they come supplied with brackets two shades of covers and you can rotate the logo for both centre or up-right use....

I am glad you were as pleasantly surprise as I was Nemo...

17. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    On the subject of Radius have you seen the Radius 270 (floorstanding) and 225 (Plasma) versions they are introducing into the Radius range.

18. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    No I haven't! Have you got a link to them somewhere? Floorstanders are a no, no for me because of this little princess wondering, running and bumping into things in the house...But I am still curious...

19. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It's just appeared on the monitor audio UK site today but It's been on the Netherland site for about two weeks.

20. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Are you Dutch Nemo? And remember fish are friends not food!

I like the 270's, and if I could have floor-standers I would....The 225's styling reminds me a little too much of the PA system in our local church.....
    Based on looks I will stick with my 180's...Heck there is no chance my wife will left me change our speakers again anyway....

21. kill3r

kill3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which equipment did you run your test with?

22. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kill3r - based on the output of both the AX5i and D1011.

Remember, the power consumption of the VSX-D2011 is only about 660W. If their measurements were correct the the receiver would be outputting 680W into five channels. Which simply doesn't make sense.

23. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What wood veneers are the Radius's available in?

I can't find anything on the Monitor Audio site that gives this information!

Thanks ... Pat

24. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    dejongj

No I'm not Dutch I was just searching the web trying to find more pictures of the speakers in the different finishes they did them in because I could'nt decide which finish to get .... eventually decided to play safe and go for silver. Know exactly what you mean about the look of the 225's.

25. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I was pretty much set on getting the MA silver series, but now?
    Those Radius towers do look really nice.

Pat, if you go to the Radius part of the MA site and click on finishes it gives you the woods they come in.

Beech and Rosemah.

26. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Err so getting the thread back on track, can anyone suggest any other alternatives in the £1000 bracket?

27. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    ATM I am trying to arrange demos of the Monitor Audio Silver series, Castle Compact system, the Mirage Omnisats and now the Radius.

Chatting to the dealers the Castles are a real classy sound for the money and the Omisats have a very spacious sound if you happen to like that sort of thing. The Silvers being bigger speakers look like they'll give me the volume I'm after but I'll see when I demo.

I also have an Energy dealer nearby who seems to be shut everytime I go there.

28. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My thoughts are that they're bl*ody fantastic Matt and they're very easy to drive too. Got mine for £400 second hand - you pay a bit more ex-dem but there may be other 2nd hand ones about.

On the "3 identical" front, unless it's for aesthetic reasons, then in this particular instance I wouldn't worry about it too much as the MA Gold Centre is an amazingly good match for the GR10's - it uses identical drive units (but two of the mid/bass drivers), is pretty much the same volume and covers the same frequency range (down to 40Hz!).

As you know, I've had 3 identical fronts which was fantastic but I can honestly say the GR10/GR centre combination is so close it's unbelievable. I paid £375 for an ex-dem GR centre by the way.

Matt.

29. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting to hear you guys talking abouth the radius speakers. i have 2 180's as rears and silver s6 as the front pair with another 180 for centre duties. i use a yam640se amp to drive them. im thinking of getting some other 180's to replace my s6's, i know they should not be as good at stereo but what are your opinions? i like a good stereo sound but would like to streamline my system, especially now i have a wall mounted plasma so all speakers are wall mounted. your views would be much appreciated.

30. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    That sounds like an option, but it's finding the bloody things for those kind of prices! Must book myself in for a demo somewhere...