More Sony DAV DZ260 woes--please can someone help?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kitbits, Feb 7, 2009.

1. kitbits

kitbits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, we're having problems connecting all of our components to the Sony DAV DZ260, which we purchased about a month ago.

We can watch films on it, no prob, but we want to have the same sound set up for Sky (just bog-standard) and our multi-region DVD player, which is old, but hey, it's multi-region, unlike the over-priced one-region Sony. I loathe to shell out more money to make the Sony multi-region...

Anyway, this is what we have:

Sharp LCD tv
    Sky (regular, not plus or HD)
    Acoustic Solutions DVD551 multi-region player
    DAV DZ260
    Also, we have a Sharp blu-ray player, but that's optional...we don't have any blu-ray dvds & the Sony plays what we have from region 2 just fine.

Please let me know what other info you need...thanks!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. kitbits

kitbits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( we have tried...anybody? please??

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Going by the specs here you might be able to connect up either a SCART cable (omitting the yellow video cable) to the input on the Sony and receive audio in that way. Another option would be a composite video to SCART cable (omitting the yellow video cable from and only connecting the red/white audio cables) or analogue audio to a SCART adaptor (most are switchable for input/output) but without knowing the details of the TV, I don't even know if it can output audio over its SCART connection. Check the manual (or post a link to an online manual and someone can take a look).

I'm afraid that all-in-one home cinema systems are not designed for multiple sources and if you want surround sound from your digital sources i.e. multi-region dvd player and/or bluray player, then you're going to need some form of switch e.g. 3 way manual optical switch (or toslink splitter) to share the single digital input. I doubt I would find an online manual for the Acoustic Solutions player, so post back with the available connections (it saves us trawling the net looking for them. Not so much a problem with mainstream brands but the lesser known brands are harder to find).

:)

4. kitbits

kitbits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi, davepuma :) Thank you so much for your reply. We'll try it over the next few days (busy work week!) & I'll let you know how we get on & will also post back with the connections. Tried to find the stupid manual--found all the others, but not that...typical!

Thanks again!
    :D

5. kitbits

kitbits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi davepuma...please accept my apologies for not getting back to this sooner...other things in life got in the way, as happens! anyway...here are photos of the inputs for the old multi-region DVD. haven't tried any of your suggestions yet because we wanted to show you the pics first. Many thanks for all of your advice!

links to photos:

2009_0314Misc0016.jpg picture by missmoonpie - Photobucket

2009_0314Misc0015.jpg picture by missmoonpie - Photobucket

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Use an optical cable and if you want to connect more than one optical device, you'll need the 3 way manual optical switch. See tvcables or maplins etc.

7. kitbits

kitbits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you davepuma! i'll let you know how we get on :thumbsup:

8. kitbits

kitbits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    worked like a charm & all for under £20!

many thanks, davepuma!!:clap: