1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more skybuy bargains...

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Mr Cat, May 20, 2004.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  2. S600BYC

S600BYC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some huge bargains here!
    Sony 28" is KV28LS60 which got very good reviews at £850 so £250's a snip!
    Also look in other clearance items for phillips pixel plus 32" for £449!!!! pretty sure its a 32pw9308 as well.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, I'll have to change my signature again when it arrives...!

trying to think how I'll tell my girlfriend too....sigh... :rolleyes:

4. ag005613

ag005613
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - some real bargains on there right enough. I have been looking for a new WS TV for a week now. Just ordered the KV28LS60 for £249 - what a great price. Cheers.

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    anytime, thats what this forum's for :smashin:

6. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a cabinet for the KV28LS60.
    Selling it after buying a replacement off these forums.
    £20.
    See my add in the classified section.

Here

7. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I ordered that Tosh 28" tv from them last week. They phoned today to say they don't have the stock and can't fulfill. Before I even began to mumble on about loss of bargain and consumer rights, I was offered a dvd player with 102 movies free by way of compensation.

I accepted, though the idea of haggling for a better freebie briefly entered my mind. It's disappointing not getting the tv, but then again I've nowhere for it anyway. I noticed only yesterday that the 24incher in the bedroom is already flush with the front of the drawers. Besides, the 92" crt projector I've just installed in the living room courtesy of the classifieds board has my full attention at the minute!

All told I can't complain about the Sky buy experience, though I know there are a few horror stories out there. If the rumours are true, then the the weekly roll out of bargains will be drying up any time soon. That's a shame, it was damn good for as long as it lasted.

Anybody here in the same boat?

Andy

8. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Andy :)

I had exactly the same experience... except I only thought about haggling after I'd put the phone down! My excuse for being so slow? Well, the T.V. I had ordered (Finlux 28") was for my brother-in-law, so the call from Sky kind of took me by surprise :eek:

Anyway, I can't complain... it's not often we get a freebie DVD player with 102 DVDs thrown in for free, now is it? :D And I'm sure me dear old Mum will enjoy the movies ;)

9. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    Well I ordered a 32" TV from them some time back and eventually they called me back and ofered a 28" tv. If I had wanted a 28" TV then I would've ordered one and the guy on the phone said they couldn't do anymore to help and had no other 32" TV's. Later looking back on their site I see another 32" TV so I order it. I later get a phone call saying that I need to provide proof that I own the Debit card used for the transaction so I fax them a V5 (vehicle registration document) with my name and address on it but a few days later I get a letter saying that was not good enough and it has to be a letter from a bank. So I blank out account details and fax over a letter from the bank. The next day I call up and they say that it's fine. A few days later I check the status on the Sky(don't)Buy website and it isn't on there. I call again to query and they say that it isn't a problem and I should be worried. I should expect a call from a courier company inside 21 days to arrange delivery...
    That was about a month ago so I've just checked the website again, and it say's it has been on the 24th May, CANCELLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Right now, I am almost spitting blood! I will phone them tommorow and if they don't tell me it is on it's way then I am going to let them have it for this disgraceful treatment of a customer.

I'm not going to spout anymore hate at them now, I shall save it up for tommorow and will let you know the outcome.

Stay tuned....

10. mcauleyj

mcauleyj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Andy/Sigismund,

Same experience here - I had ordered the Finlux 28" jobbie last week.. was looking forward to getting it too. Noticed my order had been cancelled - came home today to find a voicemail from $kybuy.

Phoned them back & was informed that they had been over-ordered, basically didnt have enough stock available to fulfil all outstanding orders, apologised and offered the DVD player & 102 movie pack to myself as well (which I accepted).

I asked the chap if they would have any more TV offers in, he said that they'd be concentrating on the $ky products for the foreseeable - meaning Plasmas & their 'branded' CRT's I suppose. Bummer, cos they seem to have had some cracking deals.. pity I didnt catch on sooner :rolleyes:

Still, offering compensation like that is pretty good in my books... shame I forgot to ask him when to expect delivery!!

J

11. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    Wow there shodan!

Someone thats even more annoyed with skybuy than me!
    I just dont understand them. how can they be so badly organised with big items? small stuff arrives very quickly (my liverpool shirt arrived within 4 days) but big stuff is hopeless.

Order everything on their site at least 1 thing is bound to get delivered! :zonked:

:(

12. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Just received the Logix 3300D player and 102 movies :cool: The 102 movies come by way of 26 DVD cases with two, double-sided DVDs in each, and one DVD case with a single, double-sided DVD. Which should make 102 movies!

Sadly, they are all Full Frame 1.33:1 affairs with stereo sound :eek: But there are some OK movies for my 3 year old daughter!

However... the Logix DVD player is, quite frankly, amazing!! I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of the image. I haven't had a good play yet, and it does look cheap and ugly... but first impressions are that it has a very solid picture and reasonable sound!

It comes locked into region 2, but if you

1. Open the disc tray
    2. Press the "Setup" button on the remote control
    3. Select the "Custom" option
    4. Press 3, 3, 3, 3 on the remote
    5. You should now be in the "Hidden menu"
    6. Either choose the particular region or 0 for auto region
    7. Press the "Setup" button on the remote

Done!

EDIT: Now I've had a chance to play image quality seems a little less impressive :blush:

13. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    Well I called them today and the woman on the phone said, "Hang on a moment, and need to get my manager to speak to you"... Doesn't sound good does it!

What followed was a 15 minute converstion in which the manager chap managed to appologise and still make it sound like he doesn't give a flying f***!
    It seem's that although I was told before AND after that the bank thing I sent them was fine it seems it wasn't! Only a utility bill would do. Me -
    "But I don't own this house so the bill's aren't in my name".
    Him - "Err well a bank statement then"
    Me - " I've sent in something from the bank"
    Him - "But it wasn't a statement so it could've been forged"
    Me - "So would you say that someone could do that, but not forge a bank statement?"
    Him - "Err well err, umm, err, It's what the security company said".
    Me - "What security company?"
    Him - "Err, Skybuy's security check's company".
    Me - "So why wasn't I notified"
    Him - "Ah yes, I have it on my screen that we tried to call you on the 18th but there was no answer"
    Me - "So why wasn't a message left. I have an answer machine which get's activated to answer after 2 rings. The last person to leave the house activates it. So why wasn't a message left?"
    Him - "Err I don't have that information on my screen".
    Me - "So why wasn't I contacted by email as I requested and as I put on the 2 faxes I sent to Skybuy"
    Him - "I don't have that information on my screen"
    Me - "What about the person Paul Xxxxxxx I spoke to and he said what I had sent was fine and that contact by email would not be a problem?"
    Him - "Err Paul doesn't work in this department anymore".
    Me - "So what you are saying to me is that it is fine for a company to treat it's customer's in the way your company has treated me? It is ok to tell false truths? It is ok to not make an effort to speak with your customer's. It is ok to leave them dissapointed and not offer any form of reimbursement for the trouble caused by your staff not doing their jobs properly and waisting my time. Would you be happy with the service I have recieved?"
    Him - "Well I admit sir that the treatment you have recieved from Skybuy isn't up to our normally excellent level's"
    Me - "Really? Are you not aware that this is the second time your company has promised me something then failed to honor that promise"?
    Him - "Yes I can see on my screen that you have had orders cancelled by us before".
    Me - "Yes I have. But I guess it was just a coincidence then that on every occasion I have dealt with Skybuy, your company has managed to ball's it up from it's own inabilities to do it's job. It must be a coincidence as you just stated to me that Skybuy usually have an excellent level of service, didn't you."
    Him - "Sir if you wish to complain you can do it in writing and I'll be happy to get the address for you".
    Me - "Would it do any good whatsoever"?
    Him - "I'm afraid I can't answer that".
    Me - Don't tell me, it's not on your screen. I have one more question for you, if I may".
    Him - "Certainly sir, what can I help you with"?
    Me - "What goes - Click burrrrrr"?

And then I hung up the phone.

14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    wow, that all sounds real shameful of Skys behalf...I wasn't expecting anything, or at least a 2 month wait!! however, whilst I was away last week, sky delivered a parcel, but because there was anyone at home the deliver firm is holding at their depot...I'll give them a ring when they open (next tuesday...) - and I'll make sure that I'm in when its next scheduled and that it's in perfect working order!! if not, I'll kick off with them!
    I'll let you know what happens... :rolleyes:

15. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats pretty disgraceful on skybuys behalf.
    I wounder if you can take this matter to small claims court. Just use their online facility to sigh up a date. They will send a letter to sky, they will hopefully get scared and send you a nice new tv.

16. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    It's a thought but I really can't be asked with it! Can't see me being able to scare them much though!
    I will have to be content with trying to dissuade the who universe off the idea of buying from them...

17. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi, another update folks - I rangthe delivery firm (Exel) - and they're going to deliver it next Monday (7th), their other alternative day is a thursday (for my area), so, I may take the day off and I'd like to see it myself, before I accept it!!

18. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    just though i should add, i ordered a tv a couple of weeks ago, it arrived last thursday, took about 9 days to arrive form ordering. Nice cheap set, am quite pleased :smashin: . got my order in not long after it went up on the site, so i was quite certain i'd actually got one.
    sorry to hear about the problems you lot have been having, sound terrible. might think twice now about using them again :rolleyes:

19. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    great, what tv did you get if you don't mind me asking..??
    I know they're supposed to be brand new - was that the case with you too..?

cheers

20. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    is a toshiba 32", think the model number is 32w33, something like that.
    Yeah, it was new, the box sealed (not with toshiba tape though) and the foam wrapping was still covering the tv, it smelt and looked new, and had to set it up and autotune as soon as i turned it on, suggesting that it is new (unless they somehow reset it to facotry default)
    very happy with it so far, very nice bargain, came with a stand (havnt opending it yet, adn very heavy) and a nice tosh 230E dvd player (although only R2)

21. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, thats cool - mines the 28" version...mind you, it's only 50Hz tho, but shouldn't matter too much (tho, I'm not an expert on this...)

22. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i prefere 50hz anyway, 100hz always looks strange. they should make 75hz tvs :p

no problems with mine, pretty much perfect. good picture, sound is abit poor though, but ive got my 5.1 system anyway.

23. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550

Hmmm, I'm sure that was my one... :laugh:

24. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, I've decided to take the day off for when it arrives...and if its not what I ordered, then it's going back!!

25. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    and my girlfriends dad has just offered to buy my old beko square 25" for 50 quid too...may charge him another 50 to deliver it tho...!!

26. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Looks like the bargains from sky have finished,as the site has nothing for clearance at all!!!!

27. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    from my experience (limited!) - it maybe worth checking every couple of days, as I've been aware of their website for about a month now and sinmce that time offers have come and gone...

28. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's nothing on offer at present.

Fish

29. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    Mwa ha ha, I have succeeded! I have destroyed the enemy that is Skybuy!

Bye bye, SkyBuy....

30. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ya git. ;-)

Skybuy was the best site of the year so far...

Me, I swagged three prog scan dvd players for relatives for £25 each, a 3ghz all singing all dancing laptop for £650, and wound up with a dvd player and 102 movies too for absolutely nothing.

SKy Buy Clearance RIP.

Andy