1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Samsung Woes! (Photo included)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Marty McFly, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've posted about this particular model of Samsung TVs before and got a mixed response.

I was sitting here tonight watching what was already a VERY poor quality TV with banding across the edges, bad geometry and much more. All of a sudden the colours went off and now it's entirely in green!

[​IMG]

:thumbsdow with Samsung for this. Emailed technical support 8 times, no response. Supplier (littlewoods) never stamped the warranty card and now I'm stuck with a TV that cost me £700 and is now unwatchable.

2. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you still have a receipt which proves the TV is within the warranty period? I think a lot of retailers don't bother to stamp warranty cards and I assume that a valid receipt is really all that is required. Perhaps others could confirm if this is true.

onzey

4. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying onzey.

We have an invoice and delivery notes I think from the catalogue but the manual clearly states it should be stamped by the supplier.

This is the second TV I have had from these people in just over 12 months. The first one (JMB/Bush clone) blew up after 11 months and this one has gone green (Samsung WS32V54NS).

5. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Who gives a fudge, you are been fed a load of bull, get trading standards on the phone, there are several "acts" that back you up.

6. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry.

After living with this god awful set for the past 3 months I'm not putting up with it anymore. My personal suggestion, avoid this model of Samsung TV.

7. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Complain to Littlewoods, there shouldn't be any problems in getting it fixed as long as it is still less than a year old. Personally, I'd make a song and dance about the lack of support from the manufacturer and ask for a refund.
    Paul

8. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get straight on to Littlewoods if I were you Marty.

9. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally can't ring anybody to complain. It was ordered while I was on holiday by my parents and is in there name, so they will need to ring up Littlewoods.

Considering they don't give a rats bottom about it (it's me that lost the money) I can't see that happening.

Cannot believe Samsung just ignore emails like this.

10. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I don't think Samsung should just ignore any emails you have sent, I think the correct procedure while still under warranty is for the customer to deal with the vendor and not directly with the manufacturer. So really it's down to your parents to contact Littlewoods I guess. However....

I have recently bought a Samsung product (not a TV) and looking in my warranty (which is not stamped ) it says "This warranty is valid for any person who legally acquired possession of the product during the warranty period". So if the TV was given to you by your parents then I suppose that makes you the owner.
    The first paragraph of my warranty states that

"......you should return the product to the retailer from whom it was purchased"

As oreoboy13 has implied there are consumer statutory rights. Perhaps Citizens Advice could help you and would perhaps even make a phonecall or two on your behalf.

Good luck

PS. If you fill in all the details on the front of the warranty (if it's like mine) and get one of your parents to sign the "Customers Signature" the only thing missing is the Dealers Stamp and signature and I can't see warranty being refused just on that being missing if proof of purchase date is available.

11. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert but is it possible the poor TV picture (i.e green colouring) could be caused by a scart lead plug that has worked loose or developed a fault. Worth checking that all plugs are pushed in well or maybe try another scart lead. I don't know what sources you are using into your TV but check the problem exists with all, and try switching to a composite feed instead of RGB if you are using RGB. Also, do you get the same problem with just the signal from the TV aerial?

12. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again.

No the problem is not due to poor cabling or reception. The SCARTS and cables were all double checked before taking the photos above.

Though I am aware of the green screen problem with poor scarts and bad connections it most certainly is not caused by this:

Hardware tested:

Pioneer DVD
    Philips DVD
    Hitachi DVD
    PlayStation 2
    VHS
    Standard RF TV

All green. :(

13. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's definately the TV then I can only refer you back to earlier posts.

14. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It's not clear who 'don't give a rats arse'...Samsung or your parents.
    You have bought the tv, i don't think that it was ordered by one of your parents is material. Unless there is other things that your not telling us then the law is firmly on your side and i imagine ther may be a comunication problem with either yourself or the retailer. Make contact with Littlewoods again and bve firm that they fulfill their obligations and make moves to put this to right.

15. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, solved the green colour with a trip to the service menu.

Got the engineer out, sadly I was at work.

They did the following:

o Switch TV on
    o Put DVD in DVD player and watch for 2 minutes
    o Put another DVD in player and watch for 1 minute
    o Switch off TV
    o Report no fault

I come home, white bands still running over the picture on certain scenes (bright and dark) on many DVD movies. I STRONGLY suggest that everyone avoids this model of Samsung and littlewoods catalogue. Because of this I've now lost £700.

16. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The thing is guarantees are irrelevant. My experience with a £350 Comet / washing Machine. Went wrong after 54 weeks "sorrry sir, its out of guarantee" - but remember guarantees are extra to your statutory rights. And your statutory rights are usually BETTER than any guarantee (which usually offer to repair things within a time limited period).

I sent one letter recorded delivery pointing out that the goods were not of merchantable quality (unless they were actually going to say a working life of 54 weeks was reasonable!) and that I was rejecting the goods (as you are entitled to do - you don't have to have repairs or replacements), and I was giving them 7 days notice of intended action (a notice prior to action to claim the costs back, including my expenses, such as laundry costs, etc, in the small claims court - very simple and cheap and i would have done it).

I got a phone call and a visit and a fix (guaranteed for a year) within 3 days. I was happy with that - i only wanted a repair, but if push came to shove - I would have rejected it and got a refund.

So the message is, don't put up with it, get tough, and send recorded delivery letters (oh - and read a bit about consumer law - i think the BBC watchdog site has some info, for example).

They get away with murder if you let them.