• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

more ram-better performance?

gargoyle

I'm currently using windows XP with an AMD 4400 dual core cpu, overclocked 7600 gt and 2 gigs of DDR2 memory, I use my computer solely for gaming, whilst current titles like COD4 and Fear Perseus Mandate present no problems, would increasing ram to 3 or 4 gigs significantly improve performance?

xnetco

AVF web host manager
Staff member
It depends if your using SWAP space. If your not using SWAP then there will be no performance improvement.

Do you know if your PC is using all the memory it has available?

Tim

gargoyle

Yeah tim, I'm using swap space - meaning that adding more memory will offer no significant improvement in performance, damn!

badbob

Banned
XP won't see all 4GB. 2GB should be plenty in Xp and gaming (my gaming rig has 2GB also) It's never gone over system RAM when in gaming. Can do loading up lots of HD pictures in Photoshop though.

Keep a eye on task manager peak memory usage, if it goes over 2048MB then upp to 3GB, or 4GB then install vista (urgh)

booyaka

agreed - 2gb is plenty. no major increase in gaming performance would be seen. if needing a boost would suggest the gfx card would be a starting point since more and more games are now relying on the gfx card power.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom