More questions about plasma connections

H

Hertfordshire1

Hey Forum.
I'm about to treat myself to a Panasonic TH42PW4B.

Currently I have my video connected to my dvd via scart and my dvd connect to the digi box via scart. The digibox is finally connected to the tv via yet another scart.

Also there is a digital cable coming from my dvd to the amp for sound.

My question is, when I get the plasma, what will be the best way of connecting that lot to it. Any cables I need will be hidden in the wall, so I'm not bothered about how many there will be, but want the absolute best picture quality available from all the devices.

Any advice will be greatly received..

Cheers

Steve:)

The way I have my Panny hooked up is as follows.
DVD hooked up using component conections, I think if my memory is right the Sony 735 has these outputs this gives excellent PQ.
My choice for your digibox would be to use a RGB to VGA converter unit this takes your RGB signal from your digibox via scart and changes it to a VGA connection (VGA cable required) on the rear of the panel.
Hope this helps.

Same setup here ... works fine and keeps quality to the max ...

also means I can hook my PS2 to the digibox and get RGB passthru for that aswell ...

also leaves s-video and composite for other odd things like dv cam and digital camera ...

look on www.rgbtosvideo.com for converter ... about 140 quid but well worth it ... use a good quality scart and a good quality vga cable for best results ...

steve - i got mine around 2 weeks ago, what an amazing purchase... youre in for a treat.

You want dvd straight in via component

then either:

digibox to vga via converter (but you CAN'T use just mode)

and video:

a) through the digibox, or
b) separate into the s-video

(thats providing your vid has s-vid .. if not you could take the rgb and get another converter (rgb-svideo))

digibox rgb out to s-video (via converter) - if you want the functionality of just mode.

but now you will only have a vga left so just pipe your bhs deck into the digibox. Worst way, i think you could somehow get the vhs into teh vga via a converter but its an expensive route for essentially vhs quality

of course teh only problem iwth all that is if you dont have component out on your dvd player. That would be a shame but would also confuse matters. Easiest solution would be to go straight to s-video with your dvd then rgb to vfa with the digibox then use a vga to component lead to plug it into the component sockets.

Also remember that if all else fails there is a composite connection on there but you can't use composite & s-video at teh same time.. you have to switch between the 2.

hope that helps. If you get confused like i did, just remember that the panny has:

x1 component in
x1 vga in
x1 s-video in
x1 composite in

if you have rgb or s-video out you can also get that into the s-video or vga input via converters

huh ? i think most of that right ... bit confused myself now.

dont make teh mistake i made... test the just mode out ... i find it pretty dam good and wouldn't want to be without it for television so didn't want to use the vga input for the digibox

Jackal my Panny arrives in a couple of day and i have that problem with no component out on my Pioneer 525 what the difference between RGB and component?
I am looking to upgrade when i'v got over paying for the Panny but until then i will have to run the DVD though my Sky + box.

Thinking the DVD must have Prog Scan NTSC and PAL so this winter should see the new Toshis out and the new Philips 963

i've never tested rbg and component side by side but component is better quality

still, im sure you'll be more than happy for a while with jsut rgb until you can get a new dvd

maybe think about getting a dvd player with DVI out ?

DVI?

Please explain I know you can get a board for the Panny but that where I stop?

Originally posted by jackal2513
i've never tested rbg and component side by side but component is better quality

still, im sure you'll be more than happy for a while with jsut rgb until you can get a new dvd

maybe think about getting a dvd player with DVI out ?

The argument of if RGB is better than component or vice versa will run and run! Both are excellent and it really depends on your application and source as to which will be best for you. And you might want to be able switch component on an A/V amp.

"Just" mode should work with component, but won't work with RGB. Hence, next product out will the RGB to Component. However, in theory RGB to Plasma VGA should give you the best picture - but they're very close. I'd suggest a mix of both to get the best out of your screen. If you're DVD player has component, especially progressive, then use this.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

PHP:
next product out will the RGB to Component.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any likely dates for the release of the above

Originally posted by Party Animal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any likely dates for the release of the above

Next week. We're getting enclosures machined (from a company that does work for Linn HiFi).

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Party Animal hows the saga progressing? sticking with the Pioneer I read, good move. Let me know how you get on? My panny been delayed till Friday :mad:

Party Animal hows the saga progressing
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hows it Progressing!!!!!!!!!!!
Dealer number 2 rang me on tuesday afternoon to inform me that all there stock has been ruined by Flood damage,

and get this

"At this moment in time we are sorry but wont be able to supply your order"

well thats was just great news, considering I bought the wall mount from elsewhere
so all in all my impresion of dealers is not very high at the moment

so I am reverting to plan (B) and have deciced to go for the cheaper 42" Toshiba the 2 years warranty and its current good price has changed my mind, (after all my Pioneer woes)

the dealer who supplied the pioneer wall mount has said I can swap the mount for the Tosh one, (for a small restocking fee) which is fair enough.

so the current state of play, is that I am waiting for my money to be returned to my account after 2 days now!!!!!!!!!!!

as of 10 minutes ago, it was still not returned, they said it was the banks fault when I rang them about it.

so at the moment i,m in Limbo Land, what annoys me is the fact that the money went out of my account within 10 minutes of me ordering it, (which they said they would)
but why the hell does it take days on end to be returned???????

Sorry to here you are still having problem.

I haven't received mine yet so I wont count my plasmas yet.
The Saga with the sharp/empire just rubs salt into the wounds, i still think you see if Joe can do good price on the Pioneer.

Any way let me know how you get on
What DVD you gonna run through you plasma?

Talk later

The Saga with the sharp/empire just rubs salt into the wounds

your not joking, The main reason I have changed allegiance from the Pioneer to the Tosh is

the Tosh is £1400 cheaper and has a 2 year warranty

and the extended warranties are just too much money, the Pioneer only has 12 months

I still think the Pioneer with the higher resolution has the better picture, and is far more user friendly, but is it £1400 better and 12 months less warranty, the Tosh at £3400 Starts Looking very good Value for money.

as for DVD playback i,m not really short of options as I have 2 PC,s directly above the living room, and both are cabled upto the TV/Plamsa when it shows up (if ever) LOL:D

I aslo have a Pioneer 530 set top player, to which I have never really been impressed with, as it has to much drive noise, plus the DV-Roms picture is light years ahead of the Pioneer 530

Good luck!

I'm not up to speed on DVDR at all although i work with pc's all day?

Ill let you know how my story progresses, this make 24 look like a side show :clown:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom