1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Questions About A Panny 5B

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwarren, Jan 9, 2003.

1. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and just to say thanks to all for their input. I've been an av nut for years and bought some suspect gear in the past. Good to know somewhere to get sound advice and news on best deals around...Cheers

Anyway, like alot of people cannot decide between a Panasonic TH42PW5B and a Pioneer 433HDE. Got a couple of queries regarding the panasonic panel. Firstly, is it capable of displaying PAL progressive signal via component, as I believe that it will become more of a feature of DVD decks in the future? (I know the Pioneer HDE won't)

Secondly, I have read of a transformer buzz which drives some owners nuts on the 50" version. What's your experience on the 42" 5 series panel guys? Any advice appreciated.

Lastly, I am a bit paraniod about 'dead' pixels and know what the retailers stance on these are. In reality how wide spread is this problem? I know unbeatable.co.uk have a cooling off period so this might address this.

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes the Panny can take PAL progressive thru component direct to Panel.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the panny can take a pal progressive signal and the picture is wicked.
    i have a toshiba which is a clone of the panny and i cant hear any buzzing.
    dead pixels try a dealer that will let you see the panel up and running in store before delivery

4. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate

One worry dealt with....

I dwell to much on this stuff I guess!

5. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi pwarren,

I've had my 50" panny for 3 weeks now and I'm still knocked out by it! It has no faulty pixels that are visible with the Nokia Monitor Test. (Red / green / blue / black / white screens.) :)

I don't yet have a PAL Progressive output DVD player but from other posts that I've read I'm 99.9% sure that the 5 series Panny's are indeed PAL Progressive compatible via their component inputs. :)

Fan noise on my panel is minimal and not an issue, and I've heard no buzz that is discernable other than with my ear up against the casing. :)

The only minor issue I've had is that I'm seeing combing artifacts when using the ZOOM aspect ratio on 2.35:1 DVD's with 3:2 pulldown on. This could just be a fault with my panel mind! :(

All in all, I'm very happy! (PQ is of course, fantastic!)

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

6. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah progscan on PAL works a treat on my Panny 5.
    (I could be wrong here, but..) I think the 'buzzing' was an issue with the 4 series, I certainly havent heard anything. Also the 42 doesnt have any fans either, so it's silent.

7. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone as always...job done will take the plunge on a panny 5 soon. Gonna forget about the tuner and go for one of these JS rgbtovga boxes that seem to be so highly recommended for my sky digital and DVD straight into the panel with component, for the time being until get round to getting a PAL progressive scan DVD player. Now gotta find the right deal. Cheers

8. johndonovan

johndonovan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

you mention about the fan noise in your 50" not being an issue. I thought the Panasonics didn't have any fans, or does this not apply to the 50".

Have you ever noticed the noise, eg during a quiet, dialogue only part of a film??

thanks

9. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm also finally about to take the plunge, and would like to quickly and sincerely thank everyone on the forum for their help up to date. I came to these forums thinking I might get a budget plasma (Sammy / LG) and plug it in to a cheap DVD player . . . I'm now on the verge of buying a Philips 963sa Prog Scan DVD to plug into my new 42" Panny 5 series !!

My final (??) questions before ordering are these;

1) I believe I am right in thinking that the ONLY difference between the Panny TH42PW5B and the Toshiba 42WP27 is the warranty, and that the screens themselves are absolutely identical ? Can someone just confirm this before I place my order for the Tosh please (£3197 inc VAT from unbeatable.co.uk on 12 months interest free)

2) I presume the panel will come with a terminal board included, containing the usual VGA / Component / SVHS / Composite inputs . . . is this also correct ? I'm sure I've seen a couple of retailers advertising them separately, but unbeatable don't.

Once again, many thanks to everyone who's helped me spend far more money than I originally intended :D

10. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interested to read about the 42" Tosh 27 at price you quoted.
    Hmmm tempting. In what respect are the warranties different?
    If you do 'bite the bullet', please let me know your thoughts on the Tosh once its installed.
    Regards

11. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pwarren,

I believe the Toshiba has a two year 'Return to Base' warranty, whereas the Panasonic is a one year 'Loan Machine' deal . . . I don't have any more detail than this though, so if anyone who has either of these machines could shed any further light, that would be great.

12. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the toshiba 42wp16 which is an clone of the panny 4 model , i choose the toshiba because it was cheaper/silver/
    and had very good reviews/ the warranty is a 2 year return to base/ where as the panny is a one year loan out warranty, to be honest i would rather be without mine for a couple of weeks and have a extra year warrany than just a year loan one,

mine came with a rca board composite/s-video/component/vga

i`m very happy with it , dont scrimp on cables and converters get the best you can afford and the picture quality is awesome
    ive had mine about 5 months and the WOW factor is still there
    good luck

13. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi johndonovan,

Yeah, it's only the 50" that has the fans.

From my own experience this makes no difference at all!

The fans on my panel are inaudible from more than about 6' in a totally quiet room, so in answer to your question, no I don't hear them at all during quiet passages in a movie.

In actual fact I'm happy that they are there, as I'd like to think that they will prolong the life of my panel by keeping it operating at a lesser temperature than some fanless models.

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,056
    Does the Tosh from Unbeatable come with a terminal board included (BNC or RCA) or is it just the display?

Cheers
    Andy

15. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Toshiba UK, the 42WP27 ships with the RCA terminal board included.

I've just ordered mine, along with the Philips 963sa DVD player . . . Whoopee !!!