Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

More PSP news!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Miyazaki, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
  2. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Room for both in my pockets.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Pretty big pockets!

Besides, i dread to think of the cost of the psp.

I wouldn't be able to afford not to sell my gba :(

4. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "the available processing and graphics power which is, at least up to PS2 standards"

hahahaha ill eat my hat if it does that and the batteries last more than five minutes. Sony have an awful history of releasing products way bellow the initial spec, the ps2 is bellow the initial "dream" and even before its out we find the spec of the psx greatly reduced.

not saying i wont get one because im sure i will, just that it isnt going to be a ps2 in the pocket.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The GBA is supposedly 32bit though ain't it.

And that's not a PS1, it's a SNES in the pocket ain't it really.

I reckon the graphics on the PSP will looks somewhere around an N64 quality.

Don't forget the PSP will be using UMD with a 2 gigabyte storage capacity. So the chances are it will be bordering on a PS2 in terms of graphics. Which to be frank aren't very good anyway are they?

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hype :)

Like I said before I don't think we will be seeing the PSP for quite a while.

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Nah mate.

Games are already well under development for it already. The specs are finalised mostly, and the UMD 1.8 gig discs are already around :) .

It's not out for another 18 months at least though, so of course there will be an element (or 10) or hype.

The nokia n-gage resembles a ps1 (albeit a very low fps one) and the series 60 phones are old news, and ngage isn't next-gen either.

So the chances of it equalling or surpassing PS2 quality levels i would say are high. Remember ps2 will have been out for 6 years by the time psp is released, roughly the same period between the snes and the gba.

8. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I reckon the graphics on the PSP will looks somewhere around an N64 quality."

id say this is quite posible, but you have to remember the size of the screen, theres only so much info you can display on a small device before it becomes meaningless, ie im not sure gta would work on a 4" screen.

"PSP will be using UMD with a 2 gigabyte storage capacity. So the chances are it will be bordering on a PS2 in terms of graphics"
    Storage capacity has nothing to do with graphics capability in the modern gaming industry, it just allows for more fmv and soundtrack. This i think is something that stifles the industry. A well composed midi track that can change dependant on situation adds infinately more than a track streamed of a cd.

"The specs are finalised mostly"
    I very much doubt this.

With regards to n-gage. Its just a series 60 nokia, all current games run fine on any series 60 phone.

The reason nintendo do so well with the gba is its a pure gaming device, with fun and addictive games, that are suited to short playtime. I think sony are trying to do too much with the psp. For example they say it will have dvd quality movies available on disk, but whos going to buy these? Why buy a umd version of a film that will ONLY play in youre psp, when you have higher spec playback machines in the house. Its like the minidisk, i know loads of people with minidik players and non of them buy pre recorded minidisks, they all copy from there cds, so as a protected format (in my opinion) the umd has only one use, to hold psp games.

As I said, im sure ill buy one, as I have a habbit of buying consoles, and I think it will be a good machine, but like all sony products it wont be what was anounced, and itll be good but not great

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I'll probably get the 3rd or fourth incarnation of the n-gage, which nokia (hopefully) will make half-decent :)

Although i'm not sure about whether psp will be a phone as well or not.

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I won't sell my GBA, but I will buy one if the games are good, the battery life is good and the screen has similiar qualities to Sony's Clie screens.

However if you think Nintendo are just sitting on their butts doing nothing then think again :)

11. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye, new handheld to be announced at E3 next year. And all being well I will be there to see it :D

Hurrah!

12. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    20 times more powerfull than the Dreamcast :clown:

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony are the masters of Hype they destroyed any possible dreamcast success by hyping the PS2, which of course it did not live up to,

The N Gage is abit of a disaster, and theres defo room for 2 portables but the price of the PSP will mean it wont be taking over the market + the 4 Hour battery life i have heard is abit short to be onest

14. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    not at all (my opinion)
    the n-gage is free :D
    the gba is reaching 10.000 games (including the gb games) if not more. I dont think they have much of a chance of taking any of the market that nintendo own 100% and you can pick up a gba for around £30 now.
    i heard a rumour nintendo are researching a new GB based on the n64, where would sony be if that came around ?

15. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    The Tapwave ZOdiac could be a hidden gem.

16. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Interesting stuff.

The PSP has a great spec on paper and should certainly be capable of Dreamcast quality graphics. Hopefully the shaders the PSP has will be used to create better lighting effects though.

The N-Gage has been dissmissed out of hand by a lot of people myself included. I played around with a pre production model and I think a redesigned version could be good. But ditch the 3:4 screen, nobody is going to be playing 'tate' shooters on a handheld.

The next GBA needs to be powerful but cheap. Nintendo have to keep the price below £100 but make it stylish enough to appeal to adults ala GBA SP.

The Tapwave Zodiac looks like a great piece of kit. I'm trying to get one already but they won't ship outside the US and only accept US credit cards. It's quite a powerful machine and has the added attraction of PDA functionality and media playback.

2004 is going to be a great year for gaming on the toilet!

17. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    hahahahahahaha
    thats a nice way of putting it :D

18. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,138
    With wi fi (or a long network / phone cable) you could even browse these forums from the bog?

I'm not saying that I've ever done that of course.... :eek:

Now hang on while I put my laptop down and wipe my ar.... :laugh:

19. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    He he, I like the comment about gaming on the toilet....

This has been then main comment of my wife over the Christmas period.