More power needed

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by cjohnson6, Mar 8, 2006.

1. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi all,

I'm looking for more power... I have an Arcam AVR300 driving B&W 804N fronts ( Bi-amp'd ) and an HTM3S centre and 603S2 rears. see my lot below...

I know there are an almost infinite number of possibiliies but my thoughts are as follows:

• Add a P90/3 and bi-amp the fronts and centre ..... probably still not enough power
    • Add a P1000 ..... may not be dynamic enough
    • Add a P7 ...... probably the best there is... but they cost 3600 pounds where I live..
    • Damn it all and buy a Denon AVC A1XV with internet connection..

I'm sure there are plenty of opinions out there and other options... Interested if anyone has any comments about the differences between the Arcam P1000 and the P7.

2. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    That's one hell of an amp for very little money... but the servo makes me wonder???? Is this a switched mode supply? They're prone to noise and are not dynamic enough for audio use.

I'd really like the P7 but it's too expensive in Norway.

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    To be honest I've only scraped the surface of knowing what and how these sort of amps sound and work. I know at low volume levels on cheaper equipment you often get a background humm but then the things are not made to be at low volumes. I think cooling fans can also be an issue when at low volumes. Gain and voltages may also need to be checked.

But in saying that if it matches and works well with what ever kit you have loadsa power not a lot of cash :D thats what we like:D

There is another q on this section 'Pro Amps' I think have a read there too.

I run a Rega Power amp with my Arcam, found I liked it better than an Arcam P??, in that way I'm building bit by bit too. Maybe worth demoing a couple of different power amps if you have not already, and build up one or two channels at a time........spread the cost.......

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    How about one of the Zapplulse amps from LC Audio (350 watts (8 Ohms))

6. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The Rega sounds like a good idea... I need to get off my behind, get out there and listen to some of this stuff.... I think my local hifi shop has a used TAG 5RX 100 and a Meridian 558.2... I should be able to get the guy to lend them to me for a few weeks.

As for the ZAPulse... CLASS D amps have more recently found a use in Subs.. so I don't imagine low frequency response or drive current would be an issue, and it doesn't cost a million bucks to put together a stereo pair to try it out. I'll seriously consider this option.

Thanks guys

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    If only some senior avforums moderator (IanJ, IanJ, IanJ, IanJ, IanJ, IanJ) would consider testing one of these 'cheap' ProAmps for us, we would know once & for all if it's worth a go! If only...

did it work?

8. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    musical fidelity mono block.
    that'll do the trick !

9. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I use a meridian 558.2 for my sides and rears and can vouch for it being absolutely miles better than an Arcam p7 with B&Ws. I did a very extensive test and there was no contest at all. That said, a 558.2 new was much more expensive than a P7.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    cjohnson

Another 'small is beautiful' option are the Flying Mole DAD-M100proHT at 270.00 GBP per 100w (8 ohm) Mono bloc.

With a suitable line splitter you can add any number of these as budget allows and your not going to add a lot of heat or metal work to your system.

See http://www.flyingmole.co.jp/en/products/dadm100pro/index.html

Best regards

Joe

11. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well you could try one of these, I swapped out my P90/3 for one because the P90 would cut out sometimes at high volume.

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/sa_400_alner_hamblin_semi.htm

The only problem is you can't listen to it first, think HiFi news had a review in Jan/Feb but I didn't get to see it, if anyone would like to send me a copy though ?

Slingshot

12. billmalcolm

billmalcolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have you considered adding in a Rotel RB 1091 stereo power amp for your 800 series. It is a class D amp with 500W per channel. As it is digital, there will be little heat, but the sound might not be too your taste. It is supposed to be very analytical