More PCI slots?

uczmeg

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Probably a silly question, but I have a severe lack of PCI slots in my PC.

Is there any clever solution to attaching a few more cards other than changing case and motherboard?

Cheers
Marc

You could try a riser card designed for use in a mini-itx size PC, but I have no idea if it would work.

Interesting idea, just had a quick look and riser cards seem to be generally available for adding slots.

Only problem I can see is that they seem to mount the cards horizontally. Meaning they would overlap the slots already there.

Which really defeats the purpose!

Cheers
Marc

5 or even 6 PCI slots (+ an AGP) are common these days on mainboards. Usually plenty for most but I can't really see a need for more than 5/6 PCI slots.

What are they all needed for?

Annoyingly my Dell only has 3 slots.

In the next few days I will have vying for positions...

Creative Audigy 2
Xcard
PDI card (to go with the Xcard)
TV card to use with Dscaler for Sky input.
Satellite Card

Cheers
Marc

Time to ditch the Dell mainboard & acquire a "decent" 5/6 PCI slot supporting mainboard. Far better than using "riser cards" etc.

AFAIK Dell use proprietary PSUs too so a "standard" PSU may also be required :(

Mainboard change = OS (clean) reinstall IMO.

:smoke:

I have no problems with a reinstall, but as the Dell I'm using is practically new and virtually silent I'm not keen to dump anything yet!

Looks like I'll have to compromise. Satellite card could end up in the office, then it is a case of not bothering with the PDI route to the PJ and just use the Xcard for the TV output, or dumping the Auidgy and seeing what the 5.1 spdif out of the mainboard is like....

Of course as I'm about to dump Sky movies the TV card becomes less useful.

Decisions, decisons...

Riser cards will not add any additional slots unless the motherboard BIOS specifically caters for inserting multiple cards in one PCI socket (e.g. for VIA mini ITX cards VIA supply a 2 slot PCI riser which the BIOS recognises).

Ordinary PCI riser cards with more than one slot have flying leads for the extra slots, which have to be plugged into spare slots on the motherboard.

Hi uczmeg
How about using a SweetSpot/Xcard combo instead of the PDI/Xcard/Tv card , that saves you 1 slot and will give you the best DScaler performance for Sky.
You can also get away without the sound card, as the Xcard has a digital out, leaving you with just 3 slots required. voila!

all the best

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom