More PC Help with PV500 Please

garysevern

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect my Dell Inspiron Laptop to my PV500 via the VGA connection and don't seem to be able to get beyond an impressive picture of my wallpaper but no icons, start button or status bar.

My Laptop runs ATI Mobility Radeon x300 Graphics and supports the 'extended' monitor scenario. So I'm in Display/ Settings and ticking the box that says 'extend the display to this monitor'. I've set the resolution to 1024 x 768 with a refresh rate of 60Hz as it says it is supported in the TV manual.

When I tune to PC on the PV500 a nice picture of the wallpaper is shown with the readings H.FREQ 48.3KhZ and V. FREQ of 60HZ at the top. SETUP allows me to switch between XGA and WGXA input.

But I've got no icons and none of the laptop screen activity appears on the PV500 :confused:

Thanks,
Mark.

You will need to disable the option - extend my destop to this monitor.

This extend option will only provide a basic desktop ( no icons ) for use with presentations, be it a picture or video playing with WMP or powerDVD etc.. Which need to be dragged across towards righthand side of the primary monitor screen until it appears on the secondary monitor screen!

If you use this option, playback of video can only be played on either monitor not both!

If you want a clone/mirror of your desktop on the second monitor then this feature will need to be diabled/unchecked!

When I extend the display to the second monitor (my TV actually), I get the same. It is exactly that: An extension of the desktop (the desktop is two screens in size). You should be able to drag icons from the first to the second monitor.

If you want to 'duplicate' your desktop, you should use clone mode. Make sure the option 'Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor' is switched off (in Display Properties - Settings - select second monitor) and both screens are enabled in ATI's advanced settings under the Displays tab.

It is because your plasma is set as the secondy monitor

on my radeon 9700,
I go into display properties
right click screen 2, click attached, click apply, click OK
right click screen 1, click properties
click the display tab
you should see a 1 and 2 tabs under your monitors
on the panel tab. click 2, click apply, click OK, this swaps the primary and seconday monitors over, to make your plasma the primary display
set the resloution to 1024x768 60hz

This then sets you secondary output (plasma) as your primary monitor and you get a full screen 1:1 pixel mapping with icons and everything

Thanks everyone, Ill give these a go tomorrow.

Mark.

On a related matter (my SONY worked first time with the PV500 in clone mode) anyone know hwo to sort out the PC output to a PV500 so that the screen image is NOT horizontally stretched? I am very happy with the output to the telly EXCEPT when displaying photos. E.g. if I have things in XGA mode the image is stretched horizontally (Fattovision!). If I try something like 1280 by 768 it annoyingly goes into letterbox mode and is still stretched. The quality of photo images from a PC is great - it's just that everybody looks fat. Given the rez of the TV I guess I am saying I do NOT want 1:1 pixel mapping for photos.

thornton said:
On a related matter (my SONY worked first time with the PV500 in clone mode) anyone know hwo to sort out the PC output to a PV500 so that the screen image is NOT horizontally stretched? I am very happy with the output to the telly EXCEPT when displaying photos. E.g. if I have things in XGA mode the image is stretched horizontally (Fattovision!). If I try something like 1280 by 768 it annoyingly goes into letterbox mode and is still stretched. The quality of photo images from a PC is great - it's just that everybody looks fat. Given the rez of the TV I guess I am saying I do NOT want 1:1 pixel mapping for photos.

Try the TV on 4:3 mode when viewing photos

Anyone know of the correct application to use to do this using a Mac PowerBook?

Thornton, you need to set your resolution to 1280/720. That fixes the aspect, loses 1:1 mapping. Can't have it all with any HD 42" plasma.

lol - this is an on going issue with the radion drivers - you need to set your laptop to clone mode - how you does this depends on the drriver installed on your laptop - we find you have to experiment lots until it bloody well works

keep going you will get there in the end

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom