1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Panny tuner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ejo, Jan 30, 2003.

1. ejo

ejo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Panny with the Tuner and speakers. I realy like the tuner, but have a problem with the sound from the devices I connect via scart on the tuner. I get some interference on the sound. It sound like mmmmmmmm. (Not easy to describe ny bether).
    If I turn it back to the tuner the sound is not there. Any help out there?

PS! I output the sound bout to the speakers on the plasma and to my stereo. (Not at the same time)

2. ejo

ejo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the problem with the sound. I have my RF cable from the wall (cable TV in Norway) through my Echostar satellite receiver and my Sky digibox and to the Panny tuner. As soon as I put the RF cable into my satellite receiver I get the sound. If I disconnect the RF cable from the wall or the satellite receiver the sound is gone. I have also traid to change the cale, but same sound. Any help?

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds like an earthing problem. Not sure how you could solve it. Try connecting the RF cable up without it's earth.

4. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had this with my setup and it too only manifested itself when I got the plasma, they must be sensitive to differences/potential in grounds/earths. You need to get an isolator wall plate from your cable company or find a device described in the States as a 'balun'.

The problem is caused by a potential difference between earth/ground at your home and earth/ground at the cable company's head-end, which could be tens of kilometers away. The cable shielding is earthed at the head-end and your equipment is earthed locally. The potential difference between the two is enough to cause an AC oscillation - it really is annoying!

If you have more than one cable box, you'll need to isolate them all, or isolate the cable's shielding before it enters your home, which will cover all the boxes. My cable company provides a wall plate for each decoder which isolates the earth and provides two outlets, one for TV the other for FM hookup. I was always told that these devices were to protect the TV and stuff from possible spikes or surges in the system, but when I got the plasma I found out otherwise.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Ground-Loops/

Good luck sorting it out, at least you know what it is now and you can set about getting it cleared up.

Andrew_B

5. ejo

ejo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem solved. Cost me about £30