1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Panasonic connectivity

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ganners, Apr 15, 2003.

1. ganners

ganners
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this question has been asked a million times but...I am new to this home cinema stuff and recently bought a Panasonic 42" series 4 plasma screen (without the tuner but with the i/f board).

I think that the Keene Scart Commander with a scart > 6 (RGB+S, sound) to the screen may be the solution to the problem. I know that there are better quality ways to do it, but this is a low(ish) cost and simple way to achieve connectivity - I think.

I have:
    Panasonic SCHT75 A/V amp/DVD
    Philips DRDr880
    Sky box (Pace) and
    Thompson Freeview box

I am a bit confused about all the RGBs, composites and converting between them.

Ganners

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    First, each of the devices you have should be able to output RGB, but you will have to check the manuals for each or have a look at the setup menus to see where to switch this on. Highly recommend.

Well, it's obvious that you want to have the DVD at the end of the chain so that you can recorder from your sources. so we'll put the DVD there, just before it goes in to the plasma screen.

Next, where do you put the Freeview box? Not sure what connections you have on the Thompson one, but the one my parents have is the Pace with only one SCART on it. Therefore, put it at the start of the chain.

Sky would go in the middle. So you'd have Freeview feeding Sky's VCR input. Then from Sky's TV output you would connect to the input of the DVD recorder. Output of the DVD recorder then needs to be interfaced with the plasma screen, which is where an RGB to Plasma VGA box should be used (see web link below).

It's very similar to how I have my system connected, but I've got the XBox where you've got Freeview!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.