Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

More or less console gaming

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Azrikam, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed that my XBox has had a resurgence of late, after nearly 6 months as a large doorstop. Maybe it comes from spending most of Xmas playing Halo multiplayer, me picking up a raft of really good bargain titles, or maybe it's because I'm getting tired of my PC games. Or maybe it's because a ton of big name PC games have been delayed and I've been drowning my sorrows in Munch's Oddysee and Splinter Cell.

Now we all know the pros and cons of PC gaming versus console gaming. It's not that either is better, but they are both very different gaming experiences. But this question is for those gamers who play both.

So the question is, are you playing more console games (as opposed to PC games) now than you were, say, a year ago? How about 2 years ago? Or is your console(s) just collecting dust?

2. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    in the last couple of years my gaming has gone like this:

PC > Dreamcast > PC > xbox

All i use for games nowdays is the xbox which gets 99% and the other 1% is perhaps the odd DC game. PC no longer used for gaming.

The future looks like more xbox....:D

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,136
    I've got a PC, XBox and PS2. I had a GC, but gave it to my mum as it was never played.

The PS2 is only used on the ocassional weekend Eyetoy session with my 3 year old son. I've got GT3 A-Spec and Final Fantasy X unopened as I have more attractive games unplayed elsewhere.

The XBox is only used for the ocassional PGR2 race. I've got Top Spin (played twice), Rainbox Six 3 (unplayed), Soul Calibur II (unplayed), XIII (played once), Jedi Academy (unplayed), Crimson Skies (played twice), SSX3 (played this one a reasonable amount), Amped 2 (played once) and more waiting for me to justify buying them. :rolleyes:

For me the PC is getting all the time. On my desktop Planetside has just reawakened my interest, but I've also been going thru loads of games like UT2003, C&C Generals, Elite Force 2, Max Payne 2, etc. I've got Rise of Nations unplayed for the last six months.

On my laptop I play mainly CM4 03/04, but Diablo II, Medieval Total War and Hearts of Iron get some play too. I've got Shogun unopened plus some oldies like Mechwarrior 4 and Diplomacy to try out before I sell on ebay.

Too many games, not enough time!

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I was playing my GC for quite a while, however I have now got FFXI and am playing that most of the time.

Just upgraded my PC, parts arriving today, 600 quid :p

I much prefer PC gaming, I find the games more in depth and I like being able to download demos and do a lot more on it.

Consoles are nice for multiplayer after the pub.

5. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I always tend to find that I turn to my PC when there is a slump in the console games market ie the Playstation era and the PS2 era.

MS>MD>3DO>PC>Saturn>PC>DC>Xbox.

However the PC scene is in a slump now with nothing but WWII or soldier sim FPS and billions of RTS games. Thankfully there's plenty of good Xbox stuff just now and my trusty Japanese Saturn to keep me going.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, after I rebuilt my PC, I couldn't be bothered to put most of my games back on. Right now, it's just got MAME (essential), Rise of Nations, and Alpha Centauri. I would install HOMM IV again, but I remember having to install 6 separate patches last time (in order), and I'm not going through that again.

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,136
    Is HOMM IV any good?

I loved III, but held off on getting IV after reading a lot of pretty poor reviews of it.

8. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Since completing Halo,I only really use the xbox when I have a few m8s round and fancy a few beers and multi player action with pgr2 or amped2.

Since reformatting my pc I have only reinstalled bf1942 so I can play the Desert Combat mod.:smashin:

We do seem to experiencing the calm before the storm with regards to pc games imo.Theres a whole bundle of (what we are told will be)superb games about to be released,as long as we are not subjected to anymore infuriating delays:mad:

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I did the same until my brother told me to buy it. The gameplay is a fair bit different to III, but some of the really annoying stuff is fixed. You don't need to "farm" windmills and stuff, and monsters can move on their own, so you don't need heroes just to ferry troops back and forth. I can't remember if caravans were in III, but they are a godsend. As long as it's fully patched, it's a very good game. (and I was a big fan of HOMM III as well) You should also be able to pick it up for pretty cheap now.

Talk about "the calm before the storm", I think you're right. My PC needs a few important upgrades, but I'm waiting until the games come out first. Can't very well upgrade for Half-Life 2 now when it might still be half a year away.

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I seem to play PC only these days. It was weeks ago i had my X-box on for PGR and Rainbow 6.
    I got KOTOR on PC and that kept me off the consoles for ages and then managed to get Steam to work so DOD all night sessions again.
    I just don't find the X-box drags me in anymore for some reason. Actually might cancel my sub for Live now you've got me thinking about it.

Panic

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    If a game comes out for both pc and xbox thats an fps or strategy game i'll buy the pc version as the control system, graphics and price are all better quality!

12. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good post Azrikam, I myself will be returning an xbox, as I have come to the same conclusion-when you have family, you dont get that much time to play, and when I do its on the PC!

13. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    I mostly divide my time equally between my GBA and my PC, though this is because I have very few games on either platform. I reckon I'll be spending more time on my PC though since I'm planning on buying quite a few more games for it (Champ Man usually drains my life a fair bit). At the moment Star Wars: KOTOR is taking up my time along with Pokemon Sapphire.

All this could change since I'm also planning on buying a Gamecube. Played quite a few games for it and enjoyed them immensely.

I wouldn't say I had a preference for a specific platform. Only a preference for specific games. Surely that's what it's all about?
    :laugh:

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    A bit of both for me really - consoles (especially PS2) get a fair bit of play but I also play Anarchy Online on the PC a fair bit now.

Most played recently :-

PES 3 (PS2)
    Afterburner2 (PS2)
    Anarchy Online (PC)
    Various DC games like Power Stone 2, Bust a Move 4, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue2

Time wise i'd say it's a toss up between PES3 & Anarchy Online. lol @ Sqiffy..i'm glad i'm not the only person who buys games and doesn't have time to play them all. Bought Soul Calibur 2, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Rugby league, Tiger woods 2004, Moto GP3 and a few others recently and all i end up playing is PES3!