1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More newbie questions! Projector Placement/AE100 & screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uk_robk, Feb 7, 2003.

1. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Completely new to this forum. Just ordered AE100 projector (though after reading some of the posts I'm kind of terrified of what problems I may get when it arrives!)

Anyway, I wanted to know what most people do for screens. Do people use painted walls or is it more normal to buy a dedicated screen. If a screen is the only way then can someone suggest a good UK place to get one from, preferably online?

Thanks,
    RobK

2. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about 24 hours behind you on the AE100 and have also just read the posts with some trepidation. Where did you order yours and for how much?

I am looking at screens and tried AV-Sales here:

http://www.av-sales.com

They seemed to know their stuff.

I haven't bought anything yet, though, so will read more knowledgeable replies with interest. They also stock the AE100 and I was thinking of ordering screen, PJ and ceiling mount at the same time.

Martin.

3. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm not stressing out just yet, I'm hoping that I get a unit that works without probs, and if it goes bang then that's fair enough I'll just get it sorted under the standard warranty. The dead-pixel thing troubled me more to be honest! Though in fairness I've read plenty of posts that put the AE100 in a positive light and a fair number of reviews that claim it's a reasonable buy!

I ordered from PRC direct for about £980.

I'll check that link for screens, thanks.

4. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If there's a FAQ can someone tell me and I'll read it.

I know very little about front projectors, how flexible are they in-terms of placement?

I am prevented from ceiling mounting unfortunately. So if it's placed low down does the screen have to be low too? Or are there adjustments that can be made to compensate?

Also, can projectors be placed off-center? (It's a AE100 I'm getting if that matters).

Any suggestions or pointers to guides would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
    RobK

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Threads merged.

6. miniroll171

miniroll171

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an AE100 as well, I think you will be very happy with it, I am :D

As for screens, I bought one that lays on the floor and then you pull it up. Sounds strange I know but it works really well and as it is not fixed like one on the celing it can be hid under the bed when not needed :rotfl:

I got the 70" Homescreen from this place, can take up to 3 weeks to deliver if they don't have one in stock. They measure the screens in width so it's 70" wide (horizontal not diagonal)

Can be a bit pricey though

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/screen.html

7. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically if mounted on say a coffee table the bottom of the lens should be roughly in line with the bottom of the screen. If the screen is higher, you can tilt the pj up and correct any screen distortion with the keystone adjustment.

Off center isn't an option with the panny, I think the sonys do a horizontal keystone adjustment but not the Panny.

Bye the way, I got my screen from www.direck2u.co.uk. Good prices and good service from Walter Stewart!

Cheers
    Don

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I was using a white painted wall as a temporary screen with my Sanyo Z1 and it worked quite well.

My new D.R.H. screen is turning up next week.

I chose it after looking at some screens in shops and getting samples from a couple of manufacturers. It was surprising how much difference there was between the types of material and also how they looked with the lights on and in darkness.

Are you going to use the PJ in a lighted room or will it be used in darkness?

Quite a few people have built their own screens but I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered. :)

The samples I got were from Harkness Hall and D.R.H. screens. Draper ,Da-lite and Stewart are the screens I saw in the local AV shops.

HTH

9. apocklington

apocklington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey uk_robk and lampshuk don't fret so much I'm sure your PJ's will be fine. The problem with these PJ's were with the power supply and only effect units built before June 2002 (check the manufacturing date on the unit when you get it).
    As far as screens go I use a 6 foot piece of 18mm MDF painted with Icestorm 5 (Homebase) with a 2" mat black border. This was just going to be temporary but turned out so good I decided to stick with it. BTW Icestorm 5 is gray and is used to improve the black levels. Do a search on Hoya FL-D filters I got one on mine and very pleased with the result.:D

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi uk_robk and lampshuk, welcome to the forum.

Fully endorse apocklington's post - no need for fear - the AE100 is a brilliant introduction to the world of front projection and at current prices its a complete no-brainer.

As far as screens are concerned, if you can accomodate a fixed screen the diy route (blackout cloth stretched over a frame - surf the forum for lots of info) or a piece of MDF (B&Q will cut a 8'x4' sheet to your exact measurement - all you've got to do is get it home - maybe some branches do deliveries?) painted white or Icestorm 5 or 6 present excellent solutions, as well as being cheap - £20 - £30 - leaves lots of dosh for dvds, compared wit the cost of a commercially made screen.

Also would encourage you to get a Hoya FLD filter - about £20 - also search here for "Hoya" to read details - it makes a serious improvement to contrast, colour uniformity and accuracy. Its got to be the cheapest upgrade going.

When you get set up, don't forget to post in the "stickey" at the top of this forum, we're keeping track of AE100 owners - add your name to the list - must be over 100 again !

All the best,

Sean G.

11. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm expecting the projector this weekend and I've decided to make my own screen for now, I may have to set it up on a temporary basis for now, I can only place the PJ on a table and I don't want cables lying around - bit risky.

Thanks again everyone.

RobK